FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best OS of the year

nachi
Hi,
I am using windows xp for the year 2009 to 2010, can i know which OS is getting award for the best appearance and performance
metalfreek
If you want Windows OS its Windows 7 for me. I think it is the best OS after XP. It is solid, has less bugs and is very secure. I have very few virus problems compared to XP.

If you are linux fan than I would suggest Ubuntu. I generally use LTS versions because they are more stable than other versions.

If you want to taste a new OS than why don't you give Sun Solaris a try. I have never used it but it looks promising.
mukesh
Windows 7 is perfect
airh3ad
Im Still using windows operating system now windows 7 i dont want to see it great OS cause im planning to change Ubuntu for the next month.
AlessandroG
For me win7
k_s_baskar
Windows 7 is my favorable choice for my desktop and laptop. whereas i always go with linux flavours for all my VPS used web servers for most of my websites because it is using less memory comparing with windows servers and cost wise i won't spend even a penny for OS.
Smile
deanhills
I'm still on Windows XP due to hardware constraints. I.e. I'd have to buy new hardware first before I load Windows 7, including replacing old equipment such as a printer and scanner for which HP refused to come up with drivers for Windows 7. I've tried Windows 7 and it's obviously got much more potential, many more bells and whistles. I still wonder however whether I need those. I seem to be doing just great without them right now. So may be able to carry on without for as long as I'm OK with this hardware. Have a sneaking feeling that some of those software guys are going to force me into Windows 7 eventually. IE 9 does not work on an XP Platform. I got over that however and am now using mostly Mozilla Firefox. Obvious though that any software for the future will be written for optimal use with Windows 7. I will have to make a change eventually and I'm sure Windows 7 will be great for that, or who knows, by the time I do, Windows 8 will have been tried and tested as outperforming Windows 7 .... or Windows 8 could turn out to be another Vista lemon. Time will tell!
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
I will have to make a change eventually and I'm sure Windows 7 will be great for that, or who knows, by the time I do, Windows 8 will have been tried and tested as outperforming Windows 7 .... or Windows 8 could turn out to be another Vista lemon. Time will tell!

Dean, Windows 8 is more focused to the tablet community, yes you can get it for a computer but it would only be best when you have a touch screen because of it's Metro Style just like Windows Phone 7 is like.

Honestly it depends on what you need to do on the computer. I am a gamer/programmer and other things that I dare not mention, but the hint is they have to do with computers. Anyways if you like open source and being able to change layout of the system or how it works then Linux is the way to go. If you like Window's appearance and are a gamer go with Windows 7. If your into movie making then probably a Mac (they are pricey and PCs are better)
belltown
I've tried several Linux distributions: openSuse, Fedora, Ubuntu. Over the past year I've tried just about every release of Ubuntu that's come out. I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the hassle to get it working well on my machine. With Windows 7 everything just works. With Ubuntu I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the most basic of functions running on my laptop. Even though the hardware I'm running is over 18 months old, it's still not very well supported by Linux, in particular the video card and touchpad. I was able to get them kind of working, but not nearly as well as on Windows, by applying various patches and tweaks to the system. I have the technical know-how to make it work, but I just got tired of fiddling around with it -- not to mention the radical differences between the different releases of Ubuntu they've been coming out with recently.
belltown
deanhills wrote:
I'm still on Windows XP due to hardware constraints. I.e. I'd have to buy new hardware first before I load Windows 7, including replacing old equipment such as a printer and scanner for which HP refused to come up with drivers for Windows 7. I've tried Windows 7 and it's obviously got much more potential, many more bells and whistles. I still wonder however whether I need those. I seem to be doing just great without them right now. So may be able to carry on without for as long as I'm OK with this hardware. Have a sneaking feeling that some of those software guys are going to force me into Windows 7 eventually. IE 9 does not work on an XP Platform. I got over that however and am now using mostly Mozilla Firefox. Obvious though that any software for the future will be written for optimal use with Windows 7. I will have to make a change eventually and I'm sure Windows 7 will be great for that, or who knows, by the time I do, Windows 8 will have been tried and tested as outperforming Windows 7 .... or Windows 8 could turn out to be another Vista lemon. Time will tell!

My last laptop was about 9 years old when I finally replaced it with a new one running Windows 7. My old laptop came with Windows Me installed with a free upgrade to XP when that came out, so I'd been using XP since it first came out. When I bought the old computer I also purchased an HP printer/scanner/fax (a PSC-950), and installed the XP drivers when I switched to XP. When I got my new laptop running Win 7 I wasn't sure whether my old hardware would be supported. I found that the printer worked just fine with the drivers that Windows 7 located and installed by default.
Hexes
belltown wrote:
deanhills wrote:

My last laptop was about 9 years old when I finally replaced it with a new one running Windows 7. My old laptop came with Windows Me installed with a free upgrade to XP when that came out, so I'd been using XP since it first came out. When I bought the old computer I also purchased an HP printer/scanner/fax (a PSC-950), and installed the XP drivers when I switched to XP. When I got my new laptop running Win 7 I wasn't sure whether my old hardware would be supported. I found that the printer worked just fine with the drivers that Windows 7 located and installed by default.

Well actually Windows 7 is much more user friendly than previous versions. Almost all modern devices are supported out of the box. For example it is a good idea to install original nvidia drivers to get better performance but you don't have to. The one that comes by default will work if you are not planning to play some advanced 3d games. Myself I am using dual boot: Windows 7 and Arch Linux and I think that both systems are doing their job. Probably Windows 7 is the best M$ since the beginning of time Wink Windows XP is a good system but it is really outdated.
Blummer
Still W7. Nothing is perfect, but W7 does its job well. I don't even think I will upgrade to W8, W7's functions are enough for me.
cybersa
If you have
Good Graphics Card
Good Dual Core
4GB
then Windows 7 is best os for u.

Else
Windows XP Rocks.
ankur209
No doubt Windows 7 rocked this year ! According to the CNET Survey ,the Windows 7 based laptops were the largest to be sold !

From my personal experience from last 6 years ,Windows 7 stood the first ! It has got the speed,look and all other features it should have from a user's perspective !

WINDOWS 7 is the best OS of the year ! Cool
Hogwarts
Asap170 wrote:
Dean, Windows 8 is more focused to the tablet community, yes you can get it for a computer but it would only be best when you have a touch screen because of it's Metro Style just like Windows Phone 7 is like.

I've been using Win8 for a few months, and besides a few software compatibility kinks, it's significantly better on my desktop than Win7 would be.

• I now have a separate taskbar on each of my (3) monitors
  • you can mount/burn ISOs natively
  • Explorer's been updated to use the ribbon interface (some people will moan about it, but I quite like the updates)
  • boot times are a lot faster (and given I have it on an SSD, well... I've booted to desktop within a number of seconds)
  • Metro is only a start screen for me; i.e. I get it when I press "start", and from my perspective of typing a program's name and hitting enter, it's identical to the start menu
  • There are tools to turn metro off if you so desire

It really is working well for me, even if it is only a development version, and if you include development releases within your scope of 'best OS of the year', Win8 would be the one I'd pick as a winner.
kmontano
This year I began using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. I absolutely love the Mac OS. I didn't have too hard of a time moving from Windows to Mac and the multitouch gestures available are simply awesome! I'll admit I do miss some windows features such as dragging windows to the top or side of screen to resize. Overall this is my new favorite OS.
abhizz
My points goes to wn7 64bit
jcreus
nachi wrote:
Hi,
I am using windows xp for the year 2009 to 2010, can i know which OS is getting award for the best appearance and performance

Awards... no idea.

But, IMHO, the best operating system is Ubuntu, when GNOME 2 is there. I really hate GNOME 3 (but prefer it over any windows version). Great, free, repositories...
yharm18
windows 7 is the best for me ..
Coen
I have not used any of the newer versions of Windows but I greatly dislike the OS, although I am sometimes forced to use it. For me Pardus and Ubuntu are the best OSs around.
Ankhanu
I'm not a fan of Win7. It does the job decently, and is leaps beyond Vista, but, I just don't like the user experience.

OS X 10.7 has been a pretty solid experience, overall, but it's system resource demands are a fair jump above 10.6... it's RAM hungry. Add in that some of the bundled software, such as Preview, still aren't working properly after a couple months of market release, and there is some disappointment (Preview was the best pdf viewer on the market, imo, but since 10.7 it hasn't worked properly... wtf, Apple?!?).
That said, the new features of 10.7 have been pretty great, and, aside from what I mentioned above, it works quite well.

For outright value for the money, Win7 and OS X can't hold a candle to the various Linux distros, though Wink If you don't want to pay the extra money for an OS X interface (and hardware), something like Ubuntu is definitely the way to go for your average user. Solid interface, OS stability and user friendly. What's not to like (unless you're a gamer needing DirectX or something)??
splintercdo
Quote:
But, IMHO, the best operating system is Ubuntu, when GNOME 2 is there. I really hate GNOME 3 (but prefer it over any windows version). Great, free, repositories...

Quote:
I have not used any of the newer versions of Windows but I greatly dislike the OS, although I am sometimes forced to use it. For me Pardus and Ubuntu are the best OSs around.

Boys, these are not Operating systems, these are different distributions of one operating system called - Linux.

The most important thing is not which is the "best" operating system, the most important "thing" is you. Use anything that fills your needs.

Windows and Mac are cool toys for people who wants to play with multimedia and games and thinks that GUI of any OS is an operating system itself.

And there is no doubt that as both systems are commercial they have bleeding edge driver support from developers of devices.

And from the point of view of simple user that doesn't bother a lot about security, graphical eye candy is enough! As we know people are willing to spend a lot of effort for the thing they love, so if they are used to windows they will squeeze everything out of the system and will make available support of applications which are actually working bad on system like windows.

From the other side there is Linux, absolute king of Server and embedded devices! You are using Linux everyday you just don't even know it. And as OS actually the Linux is the best operating system out now, because of it's security and stability!

BUT don't give me a sh** about all versions of Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Fluxbox, Unity etc... They suck!
And don't argue with me, even Linus Torvalds(creator of Linux) is saying that, for now, there are no good Desktop environment built for Linux! And that boils down to another point there are little of standards in Linux, as much as I love and even financially support Open Source software, in most cases it is a mess and integrity of OS and applications is a mess.

It is a freedom, and again there are pluses and minuses. *And yes you can use all this great software commercially! It's just that people are selfish and dumb, they don't want to read license for 10 minutes and understand what it offers, they want "I agree" button!

That is why there is a lot more, one another covering, sh** quality commercial software than there is open source.

BTW, I love Win7, Linux 2.6, but have not used Macs enough to form opinion of them.

So people, smarten up, study, get experience, and form your opinion, only then it will be useful to take your opinions seriously!

I sound like a prick, but from reading your comments I surely can allow myself to do so Smile
Navigator
The best OS is that which it allows you to forget about the OS. And to ocassionaly amaze you.
Radar
Navigator wrote:
The best OS is that which it allows you to forget about the OS. And to ocassionaly amaze you.

That's the way things are headed with browsers.
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
Nice wording. Sounds a bit unreal however? Something can only amaze a person if it can disappoint them too? But I get the point. My anti-virus is like. I don't know it's really there, but it has not amazed me yet. Very Happy
Cmdoo
Windows 7, best OS system i'll ever used.
ilmkidunya
Windows 7 is the worlds Best OS I ever seen
Marcuzzo
Nadja wrote:
I've tried XP before and now I'm using 7, well to compare these two.. Windows 7 is better though I am still confused Laughing

Most people say that XP is better then Vista, but that is because there have been more problems with Vista.
compared to Vista, Windows 7 had fewer flaws

XP is one of the better MS products but you can't realy compare Windows versions as these are 3 generations.

- Windows XP (NT 5.1) was released October 25, 2001.
support (for SP3 ) will end 8 april 2014.

- Windows 7 was released on oktober 22, 2009

comparing windows XP with 7 is like comparing the old Fiat 500 (1975 ) with the new one (2007)
the later Looks flashier, runs smoother but has a few birth defects that will be patched in newer versions.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
comparing windows XP with 7 is like comparing the old Fiat 500 (1975 ) with the new one (2007)
the later Looks flashier, runs smoother but has a few birth defects that will be patched in newer versions.
Great post, thanks Marcuzzo. Nice to know I can still have my Windows XP until 2014.

Although I understand where you are coming from with comparing different generations of OS as far as functionality is concerned, what about hardware? Technically I could perhaps get away with loading Windows 7 on my work computer. My work computer has a 2 Duo Core CPU with 2GB RAM. However if I should change, there will definitely be a slow down in my computer, also, because the computer is an old generation computer, it won't be able to benefit from the functionality of a newer generation OS. How I now know that for sure is that two weeks ago a colleague of mine with the same specification hardware decided to bite the bullet with having Windows 7 installed. He discovered that for the few bells and whistles extra, there were plenty of things that were not up to scratch as Windows 7 is asking for up to date hardware in order to benefit from all of its features. I also know that the moment I get Windows 7 at home, I won't be able to use my HP Laserjet1000, as HP has decided to not upgrade its drivers for HP Laserjet1000 for Windows 7. Ditto my scanner. That's a real pity as my printer is still in excellent condition. When I was searching for Windows 7 drivers I came across discussion forums being very upset with the hardware guys for being in cahoots with the OS guys for making people throw out perfectly good hardware just so that they can have the latest and best OS. I think this is one of the reasons why I'm still on Windows XP. I know very well that Windows 7 is superior, however is it really worth all of the cost in new hardware for what I'm doing? Maybe in the future I will feel a pinch in some things not working as they should as all new software are looking at Windows 7 and saying bye bye to XP, and then at that point I may be forced to change, but for now I'm OK and trying to get as much mileage as I still can out of the hardware and software I currently have on my computer.
dAXARN
Windows 7.
flamepjlh
nachi wrote:
Hi,

Windows 7 is the best, I think.                                
Wink Wink
Chellesei
Windows 7, for the win! xD

When I was using XP, my computer went pretty slow when many files and programs are stored and installed in it. I mean, there isn't a day when it didn't hang up for two to three times. So I switched to Windows 7 just last July 2011. And now, even if there are lots of files and programs on my computer, it's still working really good. Smile
protw
nachi wrote:
Hi,

I have used ubuntu and archlinux,

I prefer archlinux, cuz it is very flexible!
chicanh
Currently, 2012 year, win 8 is hostest.
jilbs
The best Operating system is the system that does what you need. Well it actually varies upon your computer needs. there has to be a category for this purpose so we can easily identify the best one like:

* best OS for multimedia
* best OS for development
* best OS for gaming
* best OS for General Use (encoding/chatting/surfing)
* best OS for Old machines (you can't throw your old machines away right?)

For me, best OS is windows XP Very Happy, less pain, less complicated.
Ultrak1ll
I think the best is Arch Linux. I have been using it from the beginning of the year and its the best thing that has happened to me. On ubuntu there are problems that are hard to solve (sound, games, videocard issues), but in arch linux u can solve everything with a hack. And its soooooo fast Very Happy I choose what i run and dont have to spend much time (lol gentoo).

In few monthsI have seen it change a lot. More stable packages and safer.
lovescience
jilbs wrote:

* best OS for multimedia
* best OS for development
* best OS for gaming
* best OS for General Use (encoding/chatting/surfing)
* best OS for Old machines (you can't throw your old machines away right?)

I would like to know these too.

Which Linux OS would be the best OS for any of these?
lightningleo
My Favorite OS is Windows 7 since its highly customizable and got all kinds of apps in the market. i had one time liked Ubuntu but I think its only for testing and recreational purposes for real tasking you need something like windows 7.
anthony2011
According to me Windows 7 as well as windows XP are best. If you want performance you go for Windows XP. And if you want performance and eye cache aero effects go for Windows 7. Both are best on there side. Choose based on the system resource you have. Laughing
Radar
Yeah, saying which is 'best' can be rather subjective. I'm a Mac user, but for some people surrounded by Windows users, having a Mac won't necessarily make their life easier.
johans
windows 7 is perfect for me.. windows 7 professional.
nepalstar
I'm using Window 7, so I think this is best for me. I know that there is Window 8 also available but I haven't tried that is there any better OS than Window 7, Please let me know...!
Gregoric
It depends what do you need the OS for. If only internet browsing and social networks - mobile phone with Android. Also, Windows 8 would be enough.

If you are programmer or webmaster/IT pro, you would choose some linux distribution like above mentioned Arch or Ubuntu.

Me, as a regular user and designer (web/digital painting/drawing) chose Windows 7 and it's predecessor, XP. I don't care about Vista, that was honestly unlucky and crappy system Smile. Windows 7 gives me all what I want and doesn't have many useless functions like 8's metro. I will use it until windows 9 comes. Then I will think Smile
nircalon
Windows 7! never had any problem with it.
mugrinic
I have :

Procesor: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T5750, 2000 MHz
    Motherboard Name: Asus F3000Sg Series Notebook
    System Memory: 3072 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M G (256 MB)

From my experience, Windows 7 is the best!!!
loveandormoney
I tried many OS until now.
My favorite is Siduction.

regards
itsagas2
I have dual boot on both my laptops. One is a older Lenovo T60, 32 bit.Core 2 Duo processor T5550 (and the other is a MSI A6000 64 bit T6600 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo processor.

Windows 7 runs slower of course on the 32bit Lenovo and the 64 bit Windows 7 on the MSI is slightly faster but neither Windows 7 OS's compare to the speed and functionality that Linux give me in both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux Mint, with the Cinnamon v 17.1 desktop.

I have been using Linux for many years now and even though Windows is nice eye candy, it is terribly slow and cumbersome when multi-tasking. Linux has always out performed Windows for everyday computing as long as I have been both a Windows and Linux user.

I use Windows for times that it requires a Windows application. Otherwise I use Linux Mint exclusively for my every day computing needs and enjoyment.