FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Closed topics just when you need them most.

S3nd K3ys
Doh!

Ok, ok. I've been laughing/bitching about this for a while now, but this time it's serious... I was watching the Best Firewall thread to try to get some ideas on which firewall I should get, and it got locked. I was hoping to see some more choices. Will I get in trouble if I open a new thread asking what choices I have in Firewalls and why I should use any particular one? How 'bout if I put it in the computer section?

Perhaps there's a compromise somewhere between spam threads consisting of "what's your favorite" and useful threads like "what's a good * to get"

... (thinking)

...(thinking)

...(thinking)

...Come to think of it, there's probably not. :shrug: I guess it will depend on the thread and how it's worded.
Bondings
S3nd K3ys, first of all, the firewall thread should have been in the computer secion. I can't tell you why exactly it was locked, because I didn't do it, but that was most likely the reason.

Also, if the topic already exists, then there should be no reason to create a new thread. If you look at the literature section, then I don't want to see 8 Harry Potter threads when I look at the first 10 threads.

I now those rules are strict and in other forums they don't cause a problem, but here most people don't search for a similar thread, they just post a new one in order to get more Points.

I will try to make some easier to understand (and hopefully better) guidelines for the moderators and the users, but I really have way to much more important things to do at the moment, certainly with the new server. Wink

About the "what's your favourite", I don't have anything against those threads, just that they should be a minority of the threads instead of 50%.
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
S3nd K3ys, first of all, the firewall thread should have been in the computer secion. I can't tell you why exactly it was locked, because I didn't do it, but that was most likely the reason.

Also, if the topic already exists, then there should be no reason to create a new thread. If you look at the literature section, then I don't want to see 8 Harry Potter threads when I look at the first 10 threads.

I now those rules are strict and in other forums they don't cause a problem, but here most people don't search for a similar thread, they just post a new one in order to get more Points.

I will try to make some easier to understand (and hopefully better) guidelines for the moderators and the users, but I really have way to much more important things to do at the moment, certainly with the new server. Wink

About the "what's your favourite", I don't have anything against those threads, just that they should be a minority of the threads instead of 50%.

Understood. I agree 100% too. That's why, after I got to thinking about it, I said I guess it will depend on the thread and how it's worded and what section it's in. If I put it in the Comp section as a specific question looking for guidance, it will likely be better. Very Happy
n0obie4life
The rules in General Chat are especially strict because

- Most people just post spam threads there
- Duplicate threads are made without looking when prolly its just 1 post down
- 1 Worded Posts
- Excessive "something" or "something" posts. Then having some people say, "I think none of them is good."
- Threads belonging to the other forums are posted in General Chat because its for "everything"

If that thread you were talking about was posted in the Computer Software and Hardware forum, I'd close an eye to it.

That thread was somewhat worded like rule 1 in (http://frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5265) i think.

I could close an eye to most threads, but now, I see this thread popping up again. Should I even close it?

This thread - http://frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12252
tidruG
n0obie4life wrote:
I could close an eye to most threads, but now, I see this thread popping up again. Should I even close it?

This thread - http://frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12252

I closed it.
n0obie4life
I would have closed it myself anyway, tidruG.

That was just an example for Sand's topic.