FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ChromeOS

welshsteve
Not sure if this subject has been discussed yet, but will ChromeOS actually ever be released? I honestly cannot see it being anything other than an OS for netbooks.
Ankhanu
Chrome loaded systems have already been in the hands of reviewers, and some published reviews are available. Here's a review by Andy Ihnatko in the Sun Times of the Cr-48.
welshsteve
Ah cool, cheers for that, I'll have a good read. Will it work as a LIVE CD, enabling people to try it before installing? I hope so, because I wouldn't like to try i on a home pc from scratch until I know it's worth it.
welshsteve
OK, I've read the review now, and I'm with the reviewer I hve to say. The thought of not being able to view the file system in a normal way would take a lot of getting used to, as it would require a complete change to what users have been doing for donkeys years. I do think Google should maybe concentrate on making it available on netbooks alone, and concentrate their efforts on android.

I will be sticking with Windows and Linux for now.
william
Actually, speaking of which, has anyone here managed to get a Chrome Notebook? I was hoping to try it out and in the process get a free computer.

But from what I've read, it does seem pretty limiting and much like the Chrome Browser, it will take getting used to.
ecasmb
IT is released, it is already released at all.
but it is called Chromium OS, some people confuse it with ChromeOS
but Chrome OS is just an iso that is created in suse studio, so it isnt an Custom Operating system.

Chromium OS is downloadable here:
http://71b7a0dd.urlbeat.net

EDIT
And btw, chromium os info : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QRO3gKj3qw
my opinion, it *****... only browser chess and something more.
i would say that they should create an official AndroidX86
that would be more awesome Smile
standready
welshsteve wrote:
donkeys years.

Thanks for laugh!
weableandbob
My friend got a test computer loaded with ChromiumOS, but he says that it's pretty much a glorified, expanded Chrome browser.
menino
Isn't the Chromium browser based on Linux?

Its mainly a modified kernel of Linux, and I think Google aims to penetrate this market with its own OS.
I think it aims in getting in a web operating system, with its browser as the main gateway.

Android is a better OS for the phone, and hope this can get on the netbooks at least.
Arseniy
Well, it was obvious that Google will run a system based on networking - isn't it the online service itself? Wink
Took part in the ordering of the cr-48, waiting for reply.
You can make it by yourself here: http://google.com/chromeos/
ahnguye5
welshsteve wrote:
Not sure if this subject has been discussed yet, but will ChromeOS actually ever be released? I honestly cannot see it being anything other than an OS for netbooks.

I don't think it will be released in the way we refer to release. I don't think it will or should be sold. It should be free and, in fact, it is. Chromium OS, like someone mentioned, is the operating system where you need Google credentials in order to log on. Once you log in, all you have is a browser and your web apps.

It sounds like the OS should only be for netbooks but really it depends on the user. I would install Ubuntu netbook remix on a netbook before this. Here are some reasons I wouldn't want to use this OS:

1) I prefer to have my local storage rather than living in the cloud.
2) There are a lot of limitations mainly because there isn't an abundance of apps optimized for the browser. This is a concern that Ryan Block from www.gdgt.com pointed out. Many of the "web apps" that are available are simply links to their respective websites.
3) Privacy concerns associated with keeping all your data in the cloud.

This OS is pretty much a thin client that can be used and installed on any hardware if the user is willing to use it. So if you're a huge Google apps user or someone who just wants to surf the web, this is for you. As a thin client with low hardware requirements, it makes sense to have this OS on a netbook. Naturally, you can see that something like this has a place in the enterprise and Google has already implemented some feature to do so as evident in this blog post from Lenny Zeltser: http://bit.ly/eVsNc0
welshsteve
Have to say I don't like the thought of not being in control of my local storage of files etc, and instea drelying on the "cloud" as it's called. Having all my personal documents stored on some random server somewhere in the world with no local version or backup of any kind is quite a worrying prospect. I know this seems to be where computing is going, but I'd rather stick to the way things are now. Give people the choice. This browser it appears will not give the user a choice.
turizmanimasyonu
best surf with crome, i just dont like option.
k_s_baskar
just now applied for pilot programme for Chromeos.
gphoenix
We're better off with Ubuntu!

Ubuntu has a lot more features unlike the chrome os! and seriously is this what they have been working on this whole time..? A fail from google.. but its still under beta .. so Very Happy
loyal
welshsteve wrote:
Have to say I don't like the thought of not being in control of my local storage of files etc, and instea drelying on the "cloud" as it's called. Having all my personal documents stored on some random server somewhere in the world with no local version or backup of any kind is quite a worrying prospect. I know this seems to be where computing is going, but I'd rather stick to the way things are now. Give people the choice. This browser it appears will not give the user a choice.

The thing is I'm not sure if it _is_ going that way. I think everyone just keeps repeating it and talking about it, and then the major companies such as Google are the ones moving in that direction, which then causes other companies, such as Microsoft, to panic and run in that direction too in order to compete.

Peace.
driftingfe3s
My girlfriend was lucky enough to be selected to get a CR-48. Since her dad just gave her a 17" Dell laptop she gave me the CR-48.

My first impressions of it were bad. Although I like the idea of saving my docs to a the "cloud" so I can easily access them anywhere, if you don't have an internet connection you can't do anything with ChromeOS. You can't work on documents offline, nothing. You can't even logon with your account.

ChromeOS is still, in what i feel like is, in early development and the feature I want the most, Chromoting, is not yet implemented. It's a remote desktop to connect to a windows computer. Also sometimes it will get real slow. For example sometimes running intensive flash games will slow the computer down.

For kicks, I flashed the BIOS and installed Windows 7 and it runs like a champ. The 16 GB SSD leaves me with little space after but I don't get any of the slowdowns like ChromeOS.

I'll swtich back to ChormeOS as I want to see what it develops into, but personally I think Android is more suitable for a netbook than ChromeOS is. With Android you can do things even if you have internet connection, and this feature I think is really important. I think ChromeOS may fail.
gs-resume
Other constraints would revolve around accommodations for the user interface. Designers are considering a reduced window management scheme that would operate only in full-screen mode. Secondary tasks would be handled with "panels": floating windows that dock to the bottom of the screen for tasks like chat and music players. Split screens are also under consideration for viewing two pieces of content side-by-side.
loyal
driftingfe3s wrote:

ChromeOS is still, in what i feel like is, in early development and the feature I want the most, Chromoting, is not yet implemented. It's a remote desktop to connect to a windows computer. Also sometimes it will get real slow. For example sometimes running intensive flash games will slow the computer down.

What's chromoting?
Fire Boar
loyal wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:

What's chromoting?

driftingfe3s wrote:
It's a remote desktop to connect to a windows computer.

That's chromoting. The name is a portmanteau, combining "chrome" and "remoting".
ahnguye5
Hey all, I've luckily received a Cr-48 and I have to say it is nice for what it is. Speculations from my earlier post are pretty much true. But the main feature that makes me love this netbook so much is its speed -- boot speed that is. You didn't think I was gonna call the one-core atom speed did ya? I've never had a machine with an SSD before but I definitely believe the fast boot time and instant wake are due to the OS. Other than that, it's what you'd expect and aimed at those that can live solely on the internet. It also has a 3G modem so you're always connected.
loyal
ahnguye5 wrote:
It also has a 3G modem so you're always connected.

Explain for the noobs such as myself?
ahnguye5
loyal wrote:
ahnguye5 wrote:
It also has a 3G modem so you're always connected.

Explain for the noobs such as myself?

Similar to cell phones with a CDMA radio, this netbook can leverage mobile internet. Of course, one will have to eventually pay for that service but Google generously included two free years of 100 MB/per month from Verizon. 100 MB is nothing but, in this case, it's icing on the cake since it's free. Also, the netbook switches to wi-fi automatically when in range of a configured wireless network.
emanuel2
I will definitely not use this OS for my primary notebook...maybe if I find an old notebook I will try it when its released
Ankhanu
I was a little surprised to see that Parallels Desktop for Mac has a preexisting option in the menu to download/install ChromeOS. I've been kinda curious for a few days, so I have the download/install running now. I'll play with it a bit and get back to you on it.
airh3ad
Mobile internet its all here Over a year after Google released the first open source code for Chrome OS, the company has provided details on the progress of its Linux- and Chrome browser-based operating system. It also announced a prototype “Cr-48″ notebook, which won’t be sold commercially but will be offered via an expanded beta testing program.
Google additionally provided updates on the Chrome browser and launched its previously announced Chrome Web Store. The latter will provide apps that run both on machines using the Chrome OS, and on others equipped with a Chrome browser regardless of their operating system, the company says.” this is great for sure.
menino
Wow, the cr-48 is a nice touch - a free laptop, as part of its beta testing.
Although Google says that its not for the faint of heart - this will be a boon for developers who can get the hardware as well.
Too bad its only for residents who are in US. Confused
portoskt
boot ubuntu from usb drive, its fast enough
emanuel2
I don't see why this cr-48 is anything special "Instant Boot-Up", "instant on" etc. are not really new technologies... internal flash drives are simply fast
ahnguye5
emanuel2 wrote:
I don't see why this cr-48 is anything special "Instant Boot-Up", "instant on" etc. are not really new technologies... internal flash drives are simply fast

You're right, but that's the main reason I like the Cr-48 so much. I'm pretty sure other any desktop OS will boot much faster with an SSD but they can't top Chrome OS -- that's because Chrome OS is just a browser. It doesn't have to load anything, no drivers, programs, nothing. If you think about it, this OS is really like a thin client for regular people. Multiple people can use it without worrying about any type of data retention, just log in with your Google account and everything is in the cloud. Sure, there are type 1 hypervisors out there but that kind of set up is really only for businesses.
ProwerBot
ChromiumOS will be good for very underpowered laptops. For everything else free there's Linux.
ahnguye5
Update: I've recently found some web-based IDEs (Cloud9, ShiftEdit) that really ramped up the attractiveness of Chrome OS. The big issue I had with the OS was not being able to program on the machine aside from using a secure shell which I didn't find to be an elegant solution.