FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shingles

jwellsy
I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about shingles and what to do about it. I don't even really know what it is and how it differs from eczema, psoriasis and scabies. Are there any old wives tales out there about curing shingles?
deanhills
Shingles is a virus that is latent in one's own body. It has been there all the time, and then one day just erupts. Apparently it only erupts on one side of the body and starts blistering. The moment that happens one should seek medical treatment as apparently there are good drugs on the market for treating the virus, and the earlier it can be treated, the shorter it will last. If it can be caught early then it may last up to five weeks, but if not it could be for months.

Not everyone experiences it the same way. For some it can be acutely painful, as sometimes the virus attaches itself to the nerves. Others may have more itching and less pain. It can be very dangerous for immuno-suppressed people such as those having HIV or any other similar medical conditions.

As far as I know it happens to adults only. The virus is the same one that creates chicken pox for children.
jwellsy
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The half body thing is new to me.

I also heard a story of a lady that had lower back pain that was diagnosed as shingles.

That would really suck to have your nerve endings spontaneously sending pain signals.

This is making my skin itch just thinking about it.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The half body thing is new to me.

I also heard a story of a lady that had lower back pain that was diagnosed as shingles.

That would really suck to have your nerve endings spontaneously sending pain signals.

This is making my skin itch just thinking about it.
I have never heard of the lower back pain thing. Although if one thinks about it, it makes sense, but you are also right, it makes my skin itching just to think about it. Maybe time for me to leave the UAE as think I've become environmentally challenged as well. All kinds of strange viruses hanging around here. Smile