FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What has Frihost taught you?

saratdear
I've been a member here for more than 4 years, and the forums have improved my knowledge on a variety of topics. It helped me to improve my English as well.

What about you? What has Frihost (and the forums) taught you?
adri
Just like you, Frihost has improved my (english) writing skills. Some of my oldest posts contain major grammar faults but in those two years as a member, my grammar (and vocabulary) has improved significantly. (But I think that's for most of the non-english members around here).

Frihost has also helped me to improve my coding skills and to get in contact with professionals. Smile

Frihost has also taught me that there can be a good Free Reliable Internet Hosting, where I shouldn't fear the fact that my account has been deleted or the whole company disappeared. Confused

adri
deanhills
I've learned a lot as well. This is my first experience in participating in a Forum, and for me it is amazing how the meeting of minds can produce insights that one can learn from that may not have been available if one had researched the topics solo. Some of the insights have been from the topics under discussion and others the personalities who are posting.
Ankhanu
Frih has taught me... well, I suppose that this model of post for host can work, and work fairly well.

There have been tidbits here and there in terms of forum content, but I really haven't learned all that much from the forum itself. I've gained a couple insights into other people, and some facts or opinions, but by and large the content and the nature of people isn't much different than anywhere else. There are a few posters who contribute some good, solid thought, but for the most part it's hard to get a thought provoking thread off the ground.

It sounds like I'm comin' down on Frih, but I'm not. It's good at being what it is, but I was hoping for a broader scope with a forum of this size, is all.
watersoul
I've learned that I must be very careful to separate my opinion from any statements of 'fact' and to convey all of my thoughts in a format that clearly shows this.
I've also learned that there are many passionate folk who will sometimes totally ignore the key points made in posts and focus instead on what they think they see in a discussion.

The best lesson I think I've ever learned from regular posting on Frihost, is that whatever I may think is right or wrong, there is always another well scripted opinion or theory waiting to influence my thoughts and make me look again at my own perspective of the many different situations life brings us. Smile
Ankhanu
watersoul wrote:
I've also learned that there are many passionate folk who will sometimes totally ignore the key points made in posts and focus instead on what they think they see in a discussion

Welcome to the internet, my friend Smile
watersoul
Hmm, yep come to think of it, how didn't I realise that back in the days of my earliest posts in 1990's Usenet discussions?! Laughing

...maybe it's just I've dipped into Frihost for so long now (longer than any other forum etc) that I consider the posts with a more personal slant/understanding, especially after reading so many views from other (almost familiar) users.
the-guide
I have learned more and more from Frihost especially about websites, web hosting and search engine
optimization. Most of all I have also learned how to join other on the forum in the right way. Not often I
found the nice forum like Frihost.

Very pleased I am here. Thanks to Frihost, thanks to Bondings and thanks to all fellow Frihosters.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all.

Peterssidan
I have learned a lot about websites, and how they work. It has been useful to have a website online to test different things on and learn that way. From the forums, I have to agree with some of the others that it has helped me improve my English writing skills.
Helios
I'm really happy to hear that FriHost did all that for you, guys.
I think that it's really good that services like the ones provided by FriHost exist for free, so that people have a way to educate themselves in technological subjects such as Internet and website engineering. Of course, stuff like improved English and plain fun are also great!

I've never been really active in the forums, but I have been watching this site progress since 2005, and I'm really proud of what we have accomplished. Still, even though many goals have been achieved, there are always new ones to aim for. I'm sure that FriHost is still young and still has a lot of potential to grow and become even more successful than it is now.

On a personal note, even though I've never wanted to become a professional website designer, or anything in this area, FriHost has given me a great technical experience which helps me even today with my current job, electronics engineering.
standready
I have learned more about other countries besides the slanted news reports.
sandmanxyz
standready wrote:
I have learned more about other countries besides the slanted news reports.

+1
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
It sounds like I'm comin' down on Frih, but I'm not. It's good at being what it is, but I was hoping for a broader scope with a forum of this size, is all.
I don't think so, you were speaking the truth with honesty and sincerity as you always do. I sometimes think that we are lucky to have posters like you who are obviously on a much higher level of knowledge, education, intelligence and experience, yet still like to post at Frihost and have enough patience to teach others who are lacking in knowledge. I think you would make a great teacher if you ever want to consider a second profession one day! Smile
nezam
Frihost taught me how to use joomla and configure it Wink

also some configurations on the domain and webhost connection
nam_siddharth
I learned to make websites from frihost.
RotaL
Well i have just joined but Frihost has showed me the meaning on hosting and how much it costs to keep it running.
TurtleShell
mostly, frihost has taught me that online webhosting is available for free and that it works well for my purposes. Other than that, I have made several posts in the literature forum over the years that have made me some contacts with people who read a lot of books.
spinout
my greatest learning is the that the language is a problem and our culture collide - BUT that makes a forum!!! No flaming = no forum! or similar words Smile
Ghost Rider103
Oh it's taught me quite a few things.

Even though English is my first language, I still feel that Frihost has helped my English a lot. Without visiting this forum and posting all the time, I don't think my writing would be nearly as good as it is now.

Frihost has also taught me a lot about web hosting and some programming languages. If it wasn't for Frihost, I strongly believe I would not be in the web design field.
ProfessorY91
In addition to the appeal of having my own free, scripted website... I've learned that the internet does have amazing communities of people who collaborate and share knowledge. Few communities exist with the power (and numbers) to actually make an impact on a random person surfing the internet with a few scarce page views. Quality content doesn't make itself.

I should probably also mention that this place has helped me conduct a few psychological experiments on the masses as well. (Win!) Yay, college.
Insanity
I've learned that free hosting is possible with forum posting.
goutha
To be honest, I did not learned something that I still remember!

In general people here post just to get points, so real good conversations with a good learning at the end are not very common.

However, specific forums are more interesting... (the general one is way too general to learn new staff).
Flakky
I've grown a lot on this forum. I registered about four years ago when I was a small, little boy.
I was a small noob with no experience. Frihost allowed me to grow over these years.

I taught myself bits of HTML, XHTML and CSS thanks to the community and the frihost service. I especially learned a lot of PHP.

The community was often there to aid me when I needed help. You guys and girls help me when I am down and I shared my happiest moments here as well.

Just can't believe that 4 years have passed. I am grateful for this website, the staff, the founder, everyone!

PS: I just noticed if I don't post for three days from this moment on I have made an exact average of one post per day since I registered Smile
LittleBlackKitten
Unfortunately, the only thing frihost has taught me is that others will argue and shove dirt on your thoughts and opinions, and they don't really care what you believe, if it crosses your own.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Unfortunately, the only thing frihost has taught me is that others will argue and shove dirt on your thoughts and opinions, and they don't really care what you believe, if it crosses your own.
I'm sorry you feel this way, as I would have thought that you had at least learned something from those who do non-acrimonious type postings. If one sits down and checks out all of the other Frihosters who post on a regular or semi-regular basis, without "shoving dirt on opinions", there are plenty to learn from. For example I've just learned from Adri that finger skateboarding is a popular hobby. Miss Dixy every now and then comes up with some great wisdom. Wellerchap has an amazing sense of humour and is a tremendous photographer. I can't wait until his next expedition on his scooter as we always get to see some fantastic photos. Hunnyhiteshseth and Professor always have postings that ask good questions and make me think Coolclay I always learn from. He is a "do it himselfer" and has come up with some brilliant insights. mathiaus has one of the greatest Websites on the Board. I'm sad he is not posting as much as he used to as he has a great sense of humour. Then there are saratdear, chasbeen, sonam, standready, menino, jewellsy, Turtleshell, Royal ....... I'm always learning lots from Bondings, Ankhanu, Ocalhoun, Ghostrider, mOrpheuS (also someone with a great sense of humour), parkour_jarrod, Blaster, Truespeed ....., i.e. those who don't post acrimoniously (most of the time). Apologies to all the many others I have left out, these are just names that occurred to me spontaneously. Etc. etc. If you really look at it, it is only a small fraction of people who "shove dirt on opinions" under the guise of "challenging ideas". If one just ignores them, then there are still plenty of other postings to respond to and learn from.
saratdear
@deanhills - Thank you for mentioning me in that list! Smile

Additionally, Frihost has taught me that a forum sponsored mostly by Google Ads (isn't it?) is a self sustaining business.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
Additionally, Frihost has taught me that a forum sponsored mostly by Google Ads (isn't it?) is a self sustaining business.
That is interesting. I always thought that Frihost was not completely self sustaining but something that is a very special hobby for Bondings. So now I've learned something new again .... Smile
_AVG_
I have learned a lot about Web Hosting, Web Design, Programming and Computer Science from Frihost overall. As far as the forums are concerned, I have gained a lot of knowledge in the fields of science and mathematics. I owe Frihost a lot Wink