FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy Solstice 21 Dec and Lunar Eclipse

deanhills
For those in the Northern Hemisphere, today's supposed to be the shortest day of the year, so it can only get better from this point forwards .... Very Happy

Something special is going to happen on today as well. A lunar eclipse for the first time in hundreds of years during a winter solstice. Apparently in North and Central America people are supposed to watch out for spectacular views of a Lunar Eclipse (Tuesday morning early) that can be viewed with the naked eye. For those who don't know, a lunar eclipse is when the earth's shadow falls over the surface of the moon. More info about the lunar eclipse can be found below in Yahoo!News:
Quote:
As many as 1.5 billion people worldwide will be able to watch when the Earth's shadow creeps across the moon's surface early Tuesday morning, the first time in hundreds of years that a lunar eclipse will fall on the winter solstice.

With the full moon high in the winter sky, the lunar eclipse will be visible from four continents, with the best views from North America and Central America if weather permits, scientists say.

For those in the Southern Hemisphere it's the longest day, so their days of course are going to get shorter from now on.

For those who love the moon, last night here in the UAE was quite eerie. The full moon was enormous and bright, and this morning fog everywhere.
standready
Could not see the lunar eclipse here due to a snow storm rolling through. I got to see a time lapse of the event on the television this morning. I like that orange glowing moon. From here the days get longer and I hope the temperature gets warmer.
driftingfe3s
standready wrote:
Could not see the lunar eclipse here due to a snow storm rolling through. I got to see a time lapse of the event on the television this morning. I like that orange glowing moon. From here the days get longer and I hope the temperature gets warmer.

I was on the same boat. Rain and clouds blocked out the sky. I was able to take some shots of the Lunar eclipse during 2007 and was hoping to do so again. I guess I'll have to wait for the next lunar eclipse.

Here's the photo I took in 2007. It's actually a composite, putting different stages of the eclipse onto one image.
deanhills
Looks as though the people in Canada had the same storm. Anyway, there were some nice photos that have been put up by Yahoo in a Total Eclipse of the Moon Gallery.

There is also a nice article giving the reasons for the red brownish colour of the moon:
Rare lunar eclipse occurs on winter solstice
TFDiDesign
I didn't get to see it unfortunately. Thanks for posting the pictures!
_AVG_
It was spectacular ... undescribable. And to top it off, I think there was some sort of meteor shower that was faintly visible here in Philadelphia. I would have liked to see it from the countryside (that would be truly amazing I imagine!) - then again, living in a city, I should be happy to have witnessed a glimpse of it at all!
deanhills
_AVG_ wrote:
It was spectacular ... undescribable. And to top it off, I think there was some sort of meteor shower that was faintly visible here in Philadelphia. I would have liked to see it from the countryside (that would be truly amazing I imagine!) - then again, living in a city, I should be happy to have witnessed a glimpse of it at all!
So there was at least one city in the US that did not have a snow storm? Very Happy Envy you that wonderful once in a 400 year experience. The photos are awesome, but can only imagine the real thing would have been out of this world. Particularly since one would have been able to see it with the naked eye. Wonder what it would have been like in a planetarium in your neck of the woods?
wellerchap
I missed it, though I'd noticed we'd had some pretty good moons round that time.
deanhills
I looked for a YouTube show and then saw one that must have been taken by the same crazy guy who recorded the double rainbow shows:

Here is a better take of the eclipse, although a little bit dramatic musci. 4.5 hours shortened to a minute and thirty seconds: