FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you spend Christmas Day in your country?

Cliffer
How do you spend Christmas Day in your country?

there's any special story?

Moderator - moved here from science.
Bikerman
Ankhanu
In my house, we open presents in the morning, have a turkey dinner sometime in the afternoon to evening... and that about covers it.

Personally, I'm not one for holidays or ritual for the most part. I could do without Christmas altogether... but my wife, daughter and my mom like the holiday, so I'm stuck with it Razz
watersoul
Similar thing here, presents exchanged in the morning, family/friends roast meal in the afternoon through to the evening, then a few drinks before crashing out feeling fat and satisfied.

Boxing day (26th) has it's own almost more important ritual in my social circle as well, some DJ friends always arrange a dance party at a local club and this crazy night will usually go through until the early hours. It's a treat for all the adults who've been responsible making Christmas perfect for the kids, and an excuse to forget about being responsible for a few hours! Laughing
wellerchap
Open gifts by the tree in the morning (or rather, watch my daughter open all hers! Crying or Very sad ) then relax a bit, watch a bit of Christmas TV, then go out to my inlaws house for a full Christmas Dinner with all the works....then while THEY relax, I fill the dishwasher 3 or 4 times.....usually I then go in the lounge to find everyone fast asleep Very Happy
the-guide
Relax Relax Relax - it's the best time for me to rest and leave all hard work behind for awhile.
I planned to travel to the northern of my country, the place so beautiful and very nice climate
in this season.

Peterssidan
In my country the most things happen on Christmas Eve. In our family we use to go to visit relatives (one year on my dad's side, and the next on my mom's side.). We eat meatballs, prinskorv (a small sausage), atlantic herring, christmas ham and other things that belongs to christmas. We watch Donald Duck (same every year, 15:00). Watching Donald Duck is actually a quite common tradition in Sweden. In the Evening Santa Claus comes and distributes the packets, it could be that Santa have already been there and the presents is lying under the tree so someone else is distributes them.

This year on Christmas Day we are not going anywhere. I don't know how it is in other families. Some might visit other people that day. There is Julotta, in church, early in the morning on Christmas Day but I never go there, but some people do.
standready
For me, Christmas day is a quiet, relaxing day. I may get a call from my Mother if she thinks about it.
chatrack
Hi,

On Christmas day its a day of get together. Enjoying the day with family and relatives.
Some special food for the day. Making it memorable in all its way
Insanity
Just staying at home and eating lots of food. Sometimes we'll go to another relatives house and pig out there instead.
sandmanxyz
watersoul wrote:
Similar thing here, presents exchanged in the morning, family/friends roast meal in the afternoon through to the evening, then a few drinks before crashing out feeling fat and satisfied.

This is pretty much the description of what we have down here in Spain.
deanhills
Will be a quiet day. Am planning a trip with friends into the desert.
eday2010
In my family, we open presents on Christmas Eve after supper, at around 7:30 to 8:00. Then Santa comes and leaves presents for the kid(s). which they open in the morning. Then a yummy turkey dinner for supper.

And the day after, out to the stores bright and early for Boxing Day Smile
the-guide
the-guide wrote:
Relax Relax Relax - it's the best time for me to rest and leave all hard work behind for awhile.
I planned to travel to the northern of my country, the place so beautiful and very nice climate
in this season.

I'm preparing to take a holiday trip as my planning and will away for days.
Wish all of my fellow Frihostes much happiness, good health and success in 2011 and forever.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all.

Pray

See you again next year.

speeDemon
In my country, Christmas day iS just as any other day for most people(other than Christians, obviously), for schools though, we get christmas vacations, so we can relax for a while... A party at a fellow Christian friend's house, or a trip to the mall(to see the decorations mostly) sums it up...
ChrisCh
Our Christmas is always mainly a family lunch, followed by the exchanging of gifts. As many in my family work in industries that operate 365 days a year, the celebrations often end at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, as some have to go to work Smile No specific tradition re: carols, Mass etc etc etc Smile
TurtleShell
I spend the entire month up to Christmas anxious and unhappy, and then I spend the day of the 24th and the 25th in an ecstasy of misery, guilt and anxiety. I dodge arguments between myself, my partner and my mom while trying to maintain a constant alcohol buzz just to get through the time without causing WW III. I really, really hate christmas.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
I spend the entire month up to Christmas anxious and unhappy, and then I spend the day of the 24th and the 25th in an ecstasy of misery, guilt and anxiety. I dodge arguments between myself, my partner and my mom while trying to maintain a constant alcohol buzz just to get through the time without causing WW III. I really, really hate christmas.
Well said for me too. However over the last few years with the addition of nephews and nieces it has got much better. Our family motto is that Christmas is for children, so I have a good excuse to focus on the kids. It is always effortless as I like my sisters' kids, they are really smart and cute and we usually have lots of fun together.
toasterintheoven
drink egg nogg and ignore the family... jk, just this year
eday2010
TurtleShell wrote:

Maybe you should seek some counseling or therapy. It sounds like you have some issues there. I mean, it's Christmas, and you're making it out to be torture.
deanhills
eday2010 wrote:
TurtleShell wrote:

Maybe you should seek some counseling or therapy. It sounds like you have some issues there. I mean, it's Christmas, and you're making it out to be torture.
I'm almost certain that a great number of people delude themselves in being happy during Christmas, because they are supposed to be happy, it is a great act. Quite a large number do it for the sake of their families. At least those who admit they are unhappy are much closer to a solution, since they have identified a problem and presented it to their families. Those who delude themselves may continue their "happy" Christmases, never getting to grips why they can't be happy, and feeling guilty and ashamed. The picture of families supposed to be happy and enjoying Christmas is not realistic at all. What's wrong with being unhappy anyway? That is as normal as being happy. Eventually it will work out anyway. It always does in the end.
nigam
In our country, we mostly spent Christmas together with my family, having "noche buena", singing all night...'til 2am...we really had fun...
confess
deanhills wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
TurtleShell wrote:

I'm almost certain that a great number of people delude themselves in being happy during Christmas, because they are supposed to be happy, it is a great act. Quite a large number do it for the sake of their families. At least those who admit they are unhappy are much closer to a solution, since they have identified a problem and presented it to their families. Those who delude themselves may continue their "happy" Christmases, never getting to grips why they can't be happy, and feeling guilty and ashamed. The picture of families supposed to be happy and enjoying Christmas is not realistic at all. What's wrong with being unhappy anyway? That is as normal as being happy. Eventually it will work out anyway. It always does in the end.

I spend one night with my girlfriend in kfc Twisted Evil
bugy
with my grand parents mostly! Smile