FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Debating about changing WMs on arch linux

pauline123
Hi,

I am currently thinking about changing my desktop's window manager but I do not know which one I should change to. I know how to compile from source and install from the AUR. I just don't know what Window manager I should go for.

Basic requirements for a window manager would be:
simple,
light,
easy to use/easy to learn to use,
quick,
Can run on a 2.4 GHz processor without problems.

I have thought about KWin, Metacity, Sawfish, fluxbox, but I do not know which one I should use... or install and give a fair go. Please give reasons why you would suggest the particular window manager. I do not want a bloated DE (Gnome or KDE)
gfreezy
maybe you can try openbox or awesome.
Openbox is a highly configurable, next generation window manager with extensive standards support.It allows you to change almost every aspect of how you interact with your desktop and invent completely new ways to use and control it. And you can set hot keys for everything.
So you can use it just without you mouse.

awesome is a dynamic window manager.Its configuration is written in Lua. Awesome supports multiple layouts, including the two most common - floating and tiling, as well as maximized or magnifier. It strives to make it possible for the user to productively manage windows with the use of keyboard only (similar to many tiling window managers) or both mouse and keyboard. It also supports the pango markup language, and D-Bus for communication.
Most importmant, it's cool.I am learning it on my Archlinux too.By the way,it it in the AUR.
i wish it helps.
Peterssidan
I use Xfce on Arch Linux myself. I can't say if I prefer it over GNOME or not. Xfce is simpler and lighter which is both good and bad I think.

One window manager a friend uses is called xmonad. It looks very useful if you don't want to use your mouse that much. I never learned the key bindings good enough to work good but if you are willing to spend some time getting used to it I think it is very good.