FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.free by dotfree

xevo
Anyone knows anything about www.dotfree.com (the same company that has cz.cc/cx.cc etc)?
Apparently they want to give away .free domains... in 2012
There's not a lot of info about it on the internet?
Bondings
It still needs to be approved by ICANN, there is most likely going to be a catch and it would only be for 2012 at the earliest.
adri
If you post a five pointer each day, you can have a .com or .net domain in may 2011 (the second of may if I calculated correctly). Dancing

Frihost is way better than dotfree.com. Very Happy

adri
mahirh
Bondings wrote:
It still needs to be approved by ICANN, there is most likely going to be a catch and it would only be for 2012 at the earliest.

yes , after the icann tld registration round three which has been scheduled to finish in 2012
it has catches catches including
Quote:
Only 1 .FREE domain name per person allowed to register
dotfree
Some clarification about the process:

- only non-premium domains are currently available for preregistration. This means that certain domain names are reserved until the official launch.

- several users can preregister the same domain. If that happens, there will be an auction during the official launch.

- VIP memberships will be activated at launch, but everyone can already "upgrade to VIP" for free to allow several preregistrations.

for those of you wondering, dotFree just hit the 50,000 pre registered domains mark.

The website was also recently updated: http://www.dotfree.com
dude_xyx
So it will more like a paid service. I guess VIP members will get priority over standard members at launch.
xevo
dotfree wrote:
- several users can preregister the same domain. If that happens, there will be an auction during the official launch.

Gee, so how exactly is this "free" Rolling Eyes - I bet there's a LOT of domains preregistered by multiple users...
I preregistered my initials (xxx.free) but there's no way I will actually PAY for it... it's bit too long for me (looks ugly to be honest).
k_s_baskar
Already they applied for .free GTLD and pre registration is allowed only 1 /account or person. You can upgrade to VIP account with is free now. anyway you want to pay $5/15 domains per year in your VIP account.
more about .free domain avail here http://newdomaintlds.blogspot.com/2011/02/free-dot-free-domains.html

I pre registered some valuable domains
Smile
xevo
k_s_baskar wrote:
Already they applied for .free GTLD and pre registration is allowed only 1 /account or person. You can upgrade to VIP account with is free now. anyway you want to pay $5/15 domains per year in your VIP account.
more about .free domain avail here http://newdomaintlds.blogspot.com/2011/02/free-dot-free-domains.html

Smile

But did they actually get permission to release it?
I mean - you kind of throw money on something without even knowing they can provide... Shocked
Almost sounds like a scam - milk everyone and then say: sorry, folks we tried but we can't provide .fee after all Rolling Eyes
ProwerBot
.free sounds really annoying if you ask me. $8-10 for a .com or anything else is not terrible you could just skip having subway for dinner for a couple nights or something.
k_s_baskar
First i too think it is a type of scam. Before they really applied for .free to ICANN , Asper ICANN decision giving approval for new domain TLDS .free (for free) will be good choice. i wish to dotfree to get approval from icann.

xevo wrote:
k_s_baskar wrote:

Smile

But did they actually get permission to release it?
I mean - you kind of throw money on something without even knowing they can provide... Shocked
Almost sounds like a scam - milk everyone and then say: sorry, folks we tried but we can't provide .fee after all Rolling Eyes
Hanina
Hi,

behind of the .FREE domain names is standing an international company dotFree Group s.r.o. which has lots of expirence in running an own registry. .FREE will be for FREE as you hear in the name and i think that is the main concept. Preregistration is for free, costs you nothing and is it a normal stage for every new upcomming gTLD. They are well conected to the ICANN as they are active at the ICANN meetings and they have for sure enough funds to cover costs for an aplication fee to apply for .FREE
They can be succesfull as .CO or the others.

Thank you for your interest in .FREE domain names!!!
Hanina
Preregistration of 250,000 .FREE Premium Domains Launched - Get Poker.FREE, Download.FREE, Chat.FREE & More!

Thx.
k_s_baskar
Hanina wrote:
Preregistration of 250,000 .FREE Premium Domains Launched - Get Poker.FREE, Download.FREE, Chat.FREE & More!

Thx.

yes. it is a good news i already captured poker.free , download.free and downloads.free Smile