FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Changing default cpanel theme to bluelagoon?

Change to bluelagoon?
Yes, it is much better.
71%
 71%  [ 33 ]
No, definately keep the default theme!
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
I don't care.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 46

Bondings
Would changing the default cpanel theme to bluelagoon be a good idea? It is apparantly more dial-up friendly with less graphics.
http://www.lightningservers.net/cpanel-demo/frontend/bluelagoon/

I will only change it if a majority really wants to change. Wink
mathiaus
I'm not really keen on any other Cpanel themes though if we have option to change back to the default then I'd still be happy Smile
n0obie4life
Sure to the BlueLagoon theme Wink.

I see cpanelx theme everywhere, boring.

Besides, it loads faster.

And shouldn't this be in announcements and made a "Interesting" topic?
babumuchhala
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES,

OK thats a lot of yes. Its a lot better and will load afster and much more simpler & easier for newbies too.

Do change it as soon as possible.
BlackSkad
Yeah, use the Bluelagoon theme Smile
It loads faster and is easier, not only for newbies (which won't come anymore, see second server Smile ) but also for other members. It's clearer with some information on a link.
dan751
Since it's more dial-up friendly, then definately!Very Happy I personally am on cable, but the less graphics, the faster it'll load, the better it would be for everyone.Smile So, I completely agree, change the cPanel theme.Smile As mathius said, would we be able to have an option to change our theme back and forth from BlueLagoon to cPanelX? Because that would be pretty cool, but if not, I'm fine with using one theme only.Smile
disipal
Bondings wrote:
Would changing the default cpanel theme to bluelagoon be a good idea? It is apparantly more dial-up friendly with less graphics.
http://www.lightningservers.net/cpanel-demo/frontend/bluelagoon/

I will only change it if a majority really wants to change. Wink

Yes yes yes it will be SUPER Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing !!!
Dark_Jedi06
I'm not really liking that design...

I vote nay. Razz
n0obie4life
dan751 wrote:
As mathius said, would we be able to have an option to change our theme back and forth from BlueLagoon to cPanelX? Because that would be pretty cool, but if not, I'm fine with using one theme only.Smile

I'm afraid we can't.

Only Bondings can do that Wink.
yjwong
I selected option "Yes to All"
Bondings
The problem is that I'm the only one able to change it. So it will be either this one or the previous theme.

I will only change it if over 80% votes for it.
Jack_Hammer
No, I would definatly stay with the default theme, I would say it is much better, most of the reasoning is because of the looks but I also think it functions better.
dan751
Jack_Hammer wrote:
No, I would definatly stay with the default theme, I would say it is much better, most of the reasoning is because of the looks but I also think it functions better.

Regardless of what theme cPanel, or anything else, may have, it still would function just as good as their respective default themes. I like a more graphical interface simply because graphics are cool, but we also need to keep dial-up users in thought when voting, remember, their internet is ..cough.. snail's pace.. as I had to suffer on it for about a year. So, therefore, it is actually more logical to have the Bluelagoon theme.
dionet
You can change the theme because i know the design isn΄t very good but it will be more faster when it loads and its more organized
Bockman
I am the (till now) only "I don't care" vote. not that i don't care about this theme, but i can use any of the themes proposed.

Hope this thread has replies from every active (and hosted) member here, since it will afect all, not just those who have replied it till now. If we don't have replies and the choice is made, don't come bitching us afterwards Wink .

Be Well Cool
n0obie4life
Bockman wrote:
bitching

Ow, you seem to like to use that word Wink.

Nooo, you shlda voted a yes Smile..now, lets get a few more people to come here and get that mark over 80%.
Deji
id say yeah, the text links will make it load quicker for everyone and it seems much nicer in terms of the way its layed out.

^^
tidruG
I'm not very inclined to vote for either, but if I was forced to make a choice or die, I'd probably choose the Blue Lagoon.
althalus
So the "only" big difference is that instead of the usual icons there's text links..?

n0obie4life wrote:
I see cpanelx theme everywhere, boring.

Apart from the links it looks pretty much the same. What's less boring about this one? Razz I quite like the icons, makes it warmer somehow. Besides, the icons are not even 1kb each. The wee seconds it takes for them to load (and they'd be cached anyway, right?) shouldn't make much of a difference for the modem users (imo).

If there'd be another not-so-default looking theme I'd be happy, but when the change is so slim, I wouldn't bother.

Smile
mathiaus
When did you add the link to the demo?? Confused
Anyways I though you meant this one ( http://www.infinityws.com/images/cpanel_bluelagoon.jpg ) which is why I was against it, though looking at the actual one has changed my mind and I actually prefere it as its quicker to get to things such as php my admin etc. Smile

----------------------------

Bondings wrote:
That link was posted in the first post. It wasn't added later on.

I knew that Laughing
Bondings
mathiaus wrote:
When did you add the link to the demo?? Confused
Anyways I though you meant this one ( http://www.infinityws.com/images/cpanel_bluelagoon.jpg ) which is why I was against it, though looking at the actual one has changed my mind and I actually prefere it as its quicker to get to things such as php my admin etc. Smile

That link was posted in the first post. It wasn't added later on.
snowboardalliance
Fine with me either way.
I mean I have fast enough internet, but I won't leave just because of that.
Nameless
YES. Change it. It is better. I hate the stupid icons in the C-panel, and it would be easier to find the right link if they are catagorised.
n0obie4life
althalus wrote:

Apart from the links it looks pretty much the same. What's less boring about this one? Razz I quite like the icons, makes it warmer somehow. Besides, the icons are not even 1kb each. The wee seconds it takes for them to load (and they'd be cached anyway, right?) shouldn't make much of a difference for the modem users (imo).

If there'd be another not-so-default looking theme I'd be happy, but when the change is so slim, I wouldn't bother.

Smile

Can you imagine using 56k Smile.

Besides, if its faster for 56k. Those on ADSL or Cable would have the page load faster too.

It helps everyone, not just the 56k-ers.
mOrpheuS
OK...my turn.

First off, the theme is much lighter for sub-dial up speed people (like me Sad )

Second, more links are present on the main page itself.
Eg., the link to phpMyAdmin .
In Lagoon, you go "Main Page" -> "phpMyAdmin".
But in the default X theme, you have to go "Main Page" -> "MySQL Databases" -> "phpMyAdmin".
That's one extra click required to get to a very commonly used page. (atleast for me)

And that's just one example, there are many extra links to commonly visited places on the main page in the lagoon theme.

And third, the links are better organized (or categorized). eg, Web/FTP Stats, Error Log, Bandwidth etc. all grouped under "Stats".

I vote Lagoon.

p.s. - can't you customize the theme ?
I'm tired of seeing the top banner.

edit - Perhaps (when you find time for this) you can replace the standard cPanel banner with the FRIHost banner as well. I think it will look much better that way. Wink
althalus
I agree with the links, it's nice to be able to go straight to phpMyAdmin, for instance. I still like the icons, though. Wink

n0obie4life wrote:
Can you imagine using 56k Smile.

Did I forgot to mention that I moved to a DSL connection just about a year ago..? I know what it's like to use a 56k connection *shudder*.. But I stand by what I said; <1kb per icon won't take that long to load. If you don't have the patience to wait 5-10 seconds, if that, for something to load then either get yourself a faster connection or go offline. Simple. Smile

On the other hand, how much would it lessen the load on the server(s)? If it's a conciderable amount then I guess I'm for it - lesser load = happy Frihosters. Smile

(And a happier Bondings, I'd imagine).
Bockman
althalus wrote:
If you don't have the patience to wait 5-10 seconds, if that, for something to load then either get yourself a faster connection or go offline. Simple. Smile

Actually m8, there are still some places in the world where u don't have a National Wide LAN at 100 MB/S and broadband connections that can really be called Broadband. In fact there are some places that are just now starting 512 KB/s connections and the prices are unreachable for Joe Regular. U shouldn't assume that everyone has the type of connections u guys have (in fact, in this matter, i think u still are a few yards ahead of everyone else).

Be Well Cool
orno
i say switch the b*tch
actually it doesnt really make a difference to me since im on my cPanel probably once a month, but it really looks better Smile
althalus
Bockman wrote:
Actually m8, there are still some places in the world where u don't have a National Wide LAN at 100 MB/S and broadband connections that can really be called Broadband. In fact there are some places that are just now starting 512 KB/s connections and the prices are unreachable for Joe Regular. U shouldn't assume that everyone has the type of connections u guys have (in fact, in this matter, i think u still are a few yards ahead of everyone else).

Be Well Cool

I'm fully aware of the fact that a lot of people don't have access to a faster connection, so don't get me wrong there, Bockman. Wink What I'm saying is (still) that 5-10 seconds isn't that a bitch to wait for, really - and I know that first hand (as I used to be on 56k). I'm far from being far ahead as far as connection speed goes - I'm only on 8mbit adsl (again, I know some places, like India (guess I read about it somewhere on the forum) are just starting out the "faster" connections and that they charge quite a bit for it) but people in larger cities (I'm not one of them) could get 100mbit or faster, and via universities you'd go far beyond that.

That's just skimming the surface, I guess.. But never mind, that's not what the topic is about.

I'll say go for it, the "faster" links are starting to sound quite neat. Smile

(I'm entitled to change my mind! My honey-bear monster told me so!)
n0obie4life
Can we change votes?

Some people want to change from no to yes.
dan751
n0obie4life wrote:
Can we change votes?

Some people want to change from no to yes.

If we can change our votes, I'm not changing my vote from Yes. I want the new theme.Razz
coolclay
I agree with the majority, the blue lagoon theme is more user friendly, and grouped better. I hate the icons as well because I have no idea what some of them represent, and having text simplifies things greatly.
Bookface
definitely more readable, easier to see what I'm doing. I'm never going to remember what all those icons in cpanelx represent, so I'm still reading all the text anyway. blue lagoon!
Bockman
28 votes.... i think hostees ought to participate more in this poll.

Since this voting includes hostees and non-hostees, u should leave ur impression in a post , so we can have a better idea of it.

Plz remember this is cPanel and Not DirectAdmin, so only those in server1 (older accounts) are affected. if my calcs are correct, this 28 votes don't even make 5% of total users.

Be Well Cool
dan751
I completely agree with you Bockman.Cool
mathiaus
Can you do a mass PM or email with phpbb? I cant remebr. I know you can with ipb. Anyway if you can, why not make sure everyone knows by sending them a PM/email

Even better would by changing Cpanel to include a link to this topic at the top of the page with some small details of the possible change Smile
GiLaD
I don't think this is the best theme, it's kinda boring and I preffer the current theme...
DarkVade
I really don't like default stuff, and this type of color is not liked by me Wink
So, anything other would be better.
And if its faster...the faster the better Very Happy
n0obie4life
mathiaus wrote:
Can you do a mass PM or email with phpbb? I cant remebr. I know you can with ipb. Anyway if you can, why not make sure everyone knows by sending them a PM/email

Even better would by changing Cpanel to include a link to this topic at the top of the page with some small details of the possible change Smile

Yes, its possible. But everyone has to have a valid email.

As you know, there are cancelled accounts. So the moment phpBB goes onto the 1000th user and the 1001th user doesn't have a valid email account, phpBB would stall.

That was fixed in 3.x and in certain Mass Mail mods. So that wouldn't be a good idea.
Anttu^^
Yeah Definitly switch to bluelagoon theme, it seems to be much clearer and easyer to navigate and has less of those ugly icons Silenced

so i vote YES ! ! ! !
babumuchhala
n0obie4life wrote:
mathiaus wrote:

Yes, its possible. But everyone has to have a valid email.

As you know, there are cancelled accounts. So the moment phpBB goes onto the 1000th user and the 1001th user doesn't have a valid email account, phpBB would stall.

That was fixed in 3.x and in certain Mass Mail mods. So that wouldn't be a good idea.
So a better idea would be to putting it in the featured disscission list.
I had asked bondings to do it when it was made but he said its a bit too early. Maybe now its time bondings added it now.
n0obie4life
He's going to add it.
php_wizard_l33t
My answer is: HELL YES!

At my house I use cable, but I constantly go to friends that have dial-up.
It is a lot more dial-up friendly with images. Yes to bluelagoon!!!

Twisted Evil
n0obie4life
*smack self*

71%
Monkeydog
Neither is that good, but this one is more organized.
Yes.
Aelita
I like the one we have now. So my real vote would be No. however I dont use cPanel that uch anyway, as I do much by hand since im trying to learn all that I can about how this stuff works instead of using the easy way out. So I actually voted that I dont care. But if its going to be better for dial-up people and people who actually use it, by all means change it. like I said i dont care..
SBrian
I don't care about it. When the possibility's are egal...

For the most important things are the possibility's, not the theme.
valay5
I've always liked this traditional theme. But, if everyone else would like the other one, that's perfectly fine.
n0obie4life
Cmon, lets hit the 80% mark for the new theme!! Vote yes!!
Bockman
ok.. you can call this whatever, but i don't think this will ever reach 80% with all 3 options..

I am guilty here too, since i voted #3 (con't care). this reduces the percentage on other votings.

To make this more liable, i will remove third option. So if you care, you vote (yes or no), and if you don't care (as me), you simply don't vote.

Be Well Cool

Edit: Waiting for Bondings to confirm edit of topic
babumuchhala
i think the dont care votes should be counted along with that of yes, since they dont mind the new or old theme.

so that takes it to 83% (70%+13%)

So Bondings its time u change it Smile
mOrpheuS
Bockman wrote:
ok.. you can call this whatever, but i don't think this will ever reach 80% with all 3 options..

Why do we need 80% ? Sad
anything above 50 should suffice.
But as Bondings said, it's worth doing only if more people support the idea, I think we can agree upon 70% Rolling Eyes

Doesn't matter much to me now, the internet connection at my home has been disconnected.
and I have ~2.5 Mbps at work.
But I still stand behind lagoon.
n0obie4life
We need 80% because teh Alien says so.

Drop it to 70% or just add 70% + 13% Razz
Bondings
Ok, I changed it now. Very Happy
althalus
Well done, Bondings. Smile

Is it possible to change the banner too? If so, maybe throw a contest among the frihosters to see if anyone can come up with something nice to replace it with? Smile
Bondings
I'll try to change the banner too.
n0obie4life
Bondings wrote:
Ok, I changed it now. Very Happy

Err, yay?

We have a new theme. Lets cheer.