FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Nice story about cashing a fake junk mail check





Bondings
It's quite an old story (1995), but still worth a read.

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2

*Spoiler, better read the real thing*
In short, the guy got a fake check ($95,093.35) from a get-rich-quick junk mail. The check was completely like a real one, apart from the "non-negotiable for cash" text on the check. He put it in an atm thinking he would get a call from the bank telling him it's not a real check. They didn't call for a very long time. He cashed it in the form of some sort of redeemable check and put it in a box in a bank. He found out that the "non-negotiable for cash" provision doesn't count on checks, hence the check was valid. Eventually the bank got back to him, demanding the check back. Legally they were too late, though. He got on some news shows about it. Eventually after a few months, he did give the check back to the bank in return for a written text that the bank made mistakes and similar.
deanhills
Hilarious story. I read the story, however could not find the part where he had given the money back. Did you do some searches on the story?

I checked out the Website and I liked this quote that he has on his Home page:
Quote:
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Dr. Howard Thurman
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Hilarious story. I read the story, however could not find the part where he had given the money back. Did you do some searches on the story?

I checked out the Website and I liked this quote that he has on his Home page:
Quote:
Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
Dr. Howard Thurman

It's on one of the last pages. If you didn't notice it yet, there is a link to the next page at the bottom (Part _: ...).
chartcentral
A very long story! An interesting read. Smile
deanhills
Thanks Bondings. I found it. I must say I'm feally impressed with Patric Combs. Has to be a very special gift to be a motivational speaker. I always admire people who have a gift of the gab. Smile
standready
Man, is this guy a windbag. Really knows how to blow his horn for a very long read.
Bondings
standready wrote:
Man, is this guy a windbag. Really knows how to blow his horn for a very long read.

I suppose his book is even worse.

Although I have to say it contains a lot of interesting information about how a check is cashed and how it travels between banks and who is responsible for what part of it. Secondly, he clearly states which characteristics a check needs to have in order to be valid. And finally, he also gives some insight to how the media industry works with regards to these kind of stories. All very interesting things, with some very hard to find somewhere else.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Although I have to say it contains a lot of interesting information about how a check is cashed and how it travels between banks and who is responsible for what part of it. Secondly, he clearly states which characteristics a check needs to have in order to be valid. And finally, he also gives some insight to how the media industry works with regards to these kind of stories. All very interesting things, with some very hard to find somewhere else.
True, all of that info is almost impossible to find unless one wants to wade through tiny print in pamphlets. I'm almost certain some of the Banks must have improved their procedures after they learned about his experiences .... Smile
The-Nisk
Loved the story, especially after all the junk mail i get about getting rich quick etc. Thanks for the share!
Nameless
I remember reading this story a while ago ... it's very long, but fascinating and you can't help but grin and at that kind of shenanigans that happened in real life. Maybe not as relevant as it was fifteen years ago, but definitely worth putting an hour aside for if you haven't heard of it before.
ProfessorY91
A brilliantly written captivating story. I don't think I'd have the guts to attempt something like this even if I somehow managed to cash a $95,000 check. Its not enough to disappear with, either, unfortunately. Hmm... the possibilities.
ocalhoun
ProfessorY91 wrote:
even if I somehow managed to cash a $95,000 check. Its not enough to disappear with, either, unfortunately. Hmm... the possibilities.

1: Buy gold.
2: Bury it in a secret, remote location.
3: Wait for all the attention to blow over, while denying all knowledge of it.
4: When things die down, dig it up, and sell it in small increments.
5: Profit.

...At least that's my plan, should I come into possession of a large sum of money that I fear the authorities would take away...
ProfessorY91
Genius.

Thing is, though... what if they charge your account and you owe $95,000 immediately (i.e. a negative balance). This ruins your credit, etc, etc... with as much penalties as you'd make by profiting on selling gold.
ocalhoun
Well, personally, I don't use credit much. So, bad credit wouldn't be likely to cause me $95K worth of harm.

Credit: One of the few games where the most fun can be had by not playing at all. ^.^
mahirh
Bondings wrote:
It's quite an old story (1995), but still worth a read.

.

well , then this story proves that old is gold
Related topics
Nigerian Scam
Salman khan case whole report
Mail with PHP (Simple Tutorial)
a nice story that can get you thinking... read to find out
chain letters...
Changing mail inbox?
Support Danish
Earn from ur photoGraphy [even outside usa]
The LAW
Recommended FREE/SHAREWARE Software
Jostein Gaarder
Security holes for the holidays
Interesting Junk E-mail from..... me?
The Zen of Cat
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.