FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suggestion thread for competitions

truespeed
I suggest a movie review.
deanhills
Excellent suggestion! I vote for a movie review as well. Any specific movies in mind?

I'm not a photographer myself, but we have some great photographers on board. Maybe a competition for the best bird photo?
truespeed
A movie review of the users choice,i think a photo competition will happen at some stage but i get the impression bondings wants to concentrate on quality written content to drive more traffic to the site.
adri
deanhills wrote:
Any specific movies in mind?

The choice of movie should be free to choose I think. Although it's probably harder to choose a winner, the competition will get more entries if the choice is free. Smile

adri
Bondings
truespeed wrote:
A movie review of the users choice,i think a photo competition will happen at some stage but i get the impression bondings wants to concentrate on quality written content to drive more traffic to the site.

Yes indeed, I will be trying to create most competitions around topics that should result in some high-quality/interesting topics for the forums.

However, that doesn't mean that I won't create competitions with the topics that were mentioned. A movie review competition and a birds pictures competition are both good ideas. Anyway, keep the suggestions coming.

By the way, I was thinking to create a competition for the holidays, like "The best/original Christmas gift" or "The best New Year intentions". The problem is that I think it would be best for it to be finished before Christmas or New Year, which would give it a short time to write the essays. What do you think?
truespeed
Bondings wrote:

By the way, I was thinking to create a competition for the holidays, like "The best/original Christmas gift" or "The best New Year intentions". The problem is that I think it would be best for it to be finished before Christmas or New Year, which would give it a short time to write the essays. What do you think?

I think its a good idea,but maybe a little late with christmas less than a week away.
Ghost Rider103
An essay on everyones own personal New Years Resolution might be a good idea! We're still a few weeks away, so that would give plenty of time to set it up and let everyone make their entry.

On the bird photo, I would participate if I could, but unfortunately there aren't many birds around this time of year for us. It's way too cold here. Though there are some pheasants I guess, but not many.
truespeed
I don't think its just the time factor,more the fact that people are busy over christmas and new year.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I don't think its just the time factor,more the fact that people are busy over christmas and new year.
Agreed. Maybe this would be a good idea for next year? Or who knows, does it really have to be time-sensitive? Why can't we have the best idea for a New Year's resolution in the middle of the year?

@Ghostrider. Good point. Maybe the photos don't have to be time sensitive, but just one that the person considers to be his/her best one. Anyway, it does not have to be bird photos only, maybe it could be from a broader category like Nature. Then you can take some photos of the scenery of the snow .... and there can be some pretty spectacular ones .... Smile
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
@Ghostrider. Good point. Maybe the photos don't have to be time sensitive, but just one that the person considers to be his/her best one. Anyway, it does not have to be bird photos only, maybe it could be from a broader category like Nature. Then you can take some photos of the scenery of the snow .... and there can be some pretty spectacular ones .... Smile

Good idea, a photo contest of a more broad category would suit much better.

Perhaps we could have a dual competition. In other words, once the photo competition is over, we could then have a photo-manipulation competition. Which would be something like you must use the same photo you used for the photo competition, but now you must edit it in Photoshop or whatever other design programs you use.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

The new year's resolution one would be good for a January timeframe though... that's the time when people will be making them anyway, so it should be easy to make it and post it at the same time.
*edit*
'Fraid I wouldn't participate in that one either though...
Back in grade school, a teacher forced the whole class to write about their new years resolutions.
My resolution was to never again make a new years resolution, and I've kept it ever since.
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
On the bird photo, I would participate if I could, but unfortunately there aren't many birds around this time of year for us. It's way too cold here. Though there are some pheasants I guess, but not many.

--Would be good for a springtime contest...
(We don't have many users from the Southern hemisphere, do we?)
(Also, there's a slight problem with this one... how do you keep people from just doing a google image search for bird photos, picking a fantastic one, and winning the contest with it?)

As a side note, I think it would be good to have among the first few some very easy-to-do type contest entries... Easier to enter will probably mean more participation, then once people are used to participating, more difficult ones can be done.

*edit*
I've thought of an idea of my own, to add to my criticisms of others'.

Find the best quote from Frihost's past.
Difficulty: quote must be from a post at least 1 year old.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
This sounds like a good one Ocalhoun. Would it be a serious quote of one that is hilarious?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
This sounds like a good one Ocalhoun. Would it be a serious quote of one that is hilarious?

I guess you could leave it open to either, or specify one or the other... leaving it open would probably be best.

(Also, you'd probably want to add in, 'can't be from one of your own posts' and 'can't be a re-quote of something somebody was quoting from off-site'.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
(Also, you'd probably want to add in, 'can't be from one of your own posts' and 'can't be a re-quote of something somebody was quoting from off-site'.)
I was going to ask about the latter in my previous post, but then thought that that would have been a given, but perhaps not. People may think that it could be a quote by someone of a quote. But yes, it could be fun, as every now and then someone comes up with something quotable and original on the Board. Particularly some of the one-liners.
truespeed
This first essay idea could be widened to the "History of......... (Users choice)"

Examples:

History of the potato
History of (Your local town)
History of television
History of .... well you get the idea.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
This first essay idea could be widened to the "History of......... (Users choice)"
Examples: History of the potato
Now that brings back some memories! I once had to do a speech on the history of the potato. But yes, I get the general idea. Smile
LittleBlackKitten
I think essays on your house pets or intended future pets and why sort of thing would be cool. That would open topics like "Why I have a Cat" or "How to pick the best pet Fish" or "What most people don't know about Fish/Dogs/Cats/Whatever" or "If I could afford it, I'd have..."

Or perhaps an essay topic like cars. I'm sure there are people out there who could write an essay on a 1956 Mustang, or the history or race....

Perhaps a topic about diseases and loss; might be a hair morbid, but everyone has a story of a fight with disease or an epic brush with death, or something along those lines...
ocalhoun
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I think essays on your house pets or intended future pets and why sort of thing would be cool. That would open topics like "Why I have a Cat" or "How to pick the best pet Fish" or "What most people don't know about Fish/Dogs/Cats/Whatever" or "If I could afford it, I'd have..."

Or perhaps an essay topic like cars. I'm sure there are people out there who could write an essay on a 1956 Mustang, or the history or race....

Those are actually some pretty good essay topics there.
I could easily write about 'natural horsemanship' or 'how to tell the difference between a true off-road rig and a mall-crawler'...

truespeed wrote:

Examples:

History of the potato
History of (Your local town)
History of television
History of .... well you get the idea.

Awfully close to the first one though...
Should probably wait a while before doing another history-themed contest.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Awfully close to the first one though...
Not really. The most recent history theme was a very narrow one, limited to aspects of the Internet only. The ones that have been listed by Truespeed are general interest ones with a much wider appeal across the board. I can already see some of those nice photos by Wellerchap on the history of a town (doesn't necessarily have to be his town) and it may have interest from a travel point of view as well.
truespeed
How about a..

"Whatever happened to (Insert name of once famous person here)"

I was thinking about nothing in particular the other day and for some reason thought of Nigel Short,once a finalist many years ago in the world chess championships,he got beat by Gary kasparov and was big news in the UK for a while,but then disappeared back to obscurity.

The basic idea is to write an essay on a once famous person who disappeared off the cultural radar.titling each essay with "Whatever happened to ______"

Outlining in the essay why they were famous and what they are now up to.
deanhills
That sounds like a great topic truespeed. Would James007 count as a famous person relative to Frihost? The Philosopher Princess? Very Happy
James007
deanhills wrote:
That sounds like a great topic truespeed. Would James007 count as a famous person relative to Frihost? The Philosopher Princess? Very Happy

*topic kick*

I'm very famous. Well, not me... my stunt doubles in those Ian Fleming films. I just kick people off these forums.

deanhills wrote:
I really miss James007. I can read Dutch and his explanation of the Frihost rules in Dutch is a million times better than its English equivalent. This guy really is a gifted writer in Dutch. He also has an excellent sense of humour and lots of charisma.

You know me better than I know myself, so it seems. Yes, my narcissistic self sometimes searches the entire forums for people mentioning... me. Very Happy Ha! Idea
deanhills
James007 wrote:
deanhills wrote:

*topic kick*

I'm very famous. Well, not me... my stunt doubles in those Ian Fleming films. I just kick people off these forums.

deanhills wrote:
I really miss James007. I can read Dutch and his explanation of the Frihost rules in Dutch is a million times better than its English equivalent. This guy really is a gifted writer in Dutch. He also has an excellent sense of humour and lots of charisma.

You know me better than I know myself, so it seems. Yes, my narcissistic self sometimes searches the entire forums for people mentioning... me. Very Happy Ha! Idea

Sorry I missed this post James .... I guess opportunity missed is opportunity lost. Right .... I was completely bowled over that you should find this post in the Suggestion Forum no less ..... would seem that you are even more gifted than what I had originally thought ..... *grin*
Very Happy
rajpk
i vote for this suggestion
nice idea should be implemented