FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Going backward while in the DRIVE postition

pll
Well I'm a new driver and I took the car of my father tonight, this was a great trip except for one thing.... I live in a place where there's tons of snow and ice.

So I went up on the top of an hill (there was a STOP on the top so I stopped) and when I wanted to keep going forward, I realized the car was stuck on the ice under me. After few seconds I decided to put the brakes but when I did it the car started to go backward (down the hill)

So I have some questions as a new (non-experienced driver)

1. I know the brakes surely had hard times when it happened (but I didnt notice anything different while using them after) is there anything I should check on the brakes ?

2. When it started going backward I was in the DRIVE position (it's an automatic car), is it dangerous for the transmission or something ?

3. When I got down the hill I noticed that 3 lights opened up in the dash (I remember the ''check engine'' was on and the ''brakes'' light too, but I restarted the car and everything disappeared and I didn't notice anything wrong with the usage of the car after), but is there something that I should do after a such experience to see if the engine or something inside was damaged ?

Thanks for the help and I can't wait to become an experienced driver who know how to handle icy roads... Crying or Very sad
jwellsy
I doubt if anything is wrong with the car. If it routinely stalls it probably just needs a tune up.

The biggest problem was stopping facing uphill. Try not to come to a complete stop on ice uphill. When you loose your momentum thats what happens.

One trick I've done before when I can't make it up an icy hill is to slide back and back into a side street or even a driveway. Then use that side street/driveway to get a running start to build up enough momentum to get further up the hill.

You may want to put some sand bags, salt bags or traction mats in your trunk.

Also ask your dad to show you how to drive on ice. You will both have a good time.
ocalhoun
pll wrote:
Well I'm a new driver and I took the car of my father tonight, this was a great trip except for one thing.... I live in a place where there's tons of snow and ice.

Driving in snow and ice is fun!
Quote:

So I went up on the top of an hill (there was a STOP on the top so I stopped) and when I wanted to keep going forward, I realized the car was stuck on the ice under me. After few seconds I decided to put the brakes but when I did it the car started to go backward (down the hill)

Well, if you were lucky enough to be driving a 4x4, that would be the time to put it in four wheel drive. Otherwise, enjoy (and try to control) your slide down the hill.
Quote:

So I have some questions as a new (non-experienced driver)

1. I know the brakes surely had hard times when it happened (but I didnt notice anything different while using them after) is there anything I should check on the brakes ?

As long as they work correctly under normal conditions, they probably work okay. If the ((ABS)) light is on (during normal driving), take it to a mechanic to be fixed, and the brakes will work better in slippery conditions. Also, I would try an 'emergency stop' procedure on it to test the brakes... Get up to highway speed on a deserted road, then slam on the brakes full force -- if they don't stop the car well (or if they make noises or vibrations), they probably do need to be worked on.
Quote:

2. When it started going backward I was in the DRIVE position (it's an automatic car), is it dangerous for the transmission or something ?

Not dangerous to the transmission, but it can cause the engine to stall, because the reverse spin on it can make it stop or even spin backwards. It generally won't cause permanent harm to the engine though.
(Using the gas pedal can sometimes prevent this from happening, depending on how badly your car wants to roll downhill. Also, it won't happen at all if the tires aren't spinning at all - good brakes can stop this, but may cause other problems.)
In off-road driving, we have what's known as the 'reverse slam'... If you feel yourself starting to slide backwards, you immediately 'slam' the shifter into reverse or neutral -- this does three things:
- Helps you keep control during your inevitable trip down the hill. (You can use the engine to help slow down, power steering keeps working, steering and brakes work better when not fighting the direction of motion.)
- Prevents top-heavy vehicles from rolling over backward. (Only really matters for top-heavy off-road rigs on very steep hills. Instinctively hitting the brakes when sliding down can cause a very nasty roll.)
- Prevents the engine from stalling out because it won't be forced to spin the wrong way.
Quote:

3. When I got down the hill I noticed that 3 lights opened up in the dash (I remember the ''check engine'' was on and the ''brakes'' light too, but I restarted the car and everything disappeared and I didn't notice anything wrong with the usage of the car after), but is there something that I should do after a such experience to see if the engine or something inside was damaged ?

The check engine light was only on because the engine stalled out... Any time the key is in the 'run' position without the engine running, that light should be on.
I would look into your brakes though... it seems like they weren't doing a good job of stopping the wheels from spinning...
Were you applying the brakes as you went down the hill?
Quote:

Thanks for the help and I can't wait to become an experienced driver who know how to handle icy roads... Crying or Very sad

What I would do in that situation:
0- If possible, look out for the ice and not stop on it (not always possible).
1- When I was first stuck on the ice at the stop sign, floor it; maybe the tiny bit of traction there was would be enough to get moving (maybe not).
2- Put it in 4x4/AWD if that was available.
3- If the car is front wheel drive, turn the steering wheel back and forth while still hitting the gas.
4- If all that failed, hit the brakes like you did, and start sliding backwards.
5- Floor the gas pedal - as you slide off of the ice patch, you might get traction again.
6- Failing that, 'slam' the transmission into reverse, and take a look behind me.
7- If the hill was steep, or there were cars coming behind me, turn the wheel so that the car goes off the road into the ditch (better to hit a fencepost or whatnot at low speed than to hit a car or something at high speed at the bottom of the hill).
8- If the way backwards was clear, and not too steep, continue down it in reverse, lightly using the brakes (balance between going too fast and braking too much, which could cause a skid).
9- Once at the bottom, find an alternate route, or go back up (in 4x4 low range, if available), and (slowly) run the stop sign, so as not to stop on the slippery patch again. (while keeping a sharp lookout for traffic and cops)

-As a side note, if you don't already have a good set of winter tires, consider getting them. They'll give you around 3x the traction on ice -- meaning you can accelerate 3x faster, stop in 1/3 of the distance, and turn 3x as sharply without skidding. Don't use them during the summer though, or they'll wear out extremely fast. I was lucky enough to find a set of four used blizzak winter tires for my car for only $100 on craiglslist.com...
pll
Wow thank you very much for the explanation ocalhoun!
I hope it didn't break the car but it seems that everything is alright.

You say that I should get nice winter tires but we have some they are new from about 2 months ago.

And I didn't notice if the wheels were spinning when I went down the hill but I had the brakes on!
I think I went down the hill with my wheels not spinning I was ''sliding'' on the ice.

We never had problems with the brakes so I don't think they are really bad, anyway I got my father to have a look on the car and he says that nothing seems to be wrong. Wink

I was mistaken by stooping on the top of the cliff I should've wait a little more to really get on a flat ground !
And I was lucky to that there was nobody in my back !
ocalhoun
pll wrote:

And I didn't notice if the wheels were spinning when I went down the hill but I had the brakes on!
I think I went down the hill with my wheels not spinning I was ''sliding'' on the ice.

That's kind of confusing...

If the brakes were working, the engine should not have stalled out, since it would not be forced to spin backwards.

Maybe the anti-lock system on the brakes did it... If they detect the car is slipping with the brakes applied, they'll pulse the brakes on and off very quickly. This lets your car stop more easily in slippery conditions, but it may have allowed the wheels to turn backward enough to stall the engine.
If that's the case, then there's nothing wrong; the car was behaving as it was designed to do, just it wasn't designed with that circumstance in mind.
pll
Thank you for the reply, I know that there is an anti-lock system on the car so it should be that.
Anyway the car is working fine so I don't think I have to worry about it anymore.