FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bought a BR-6424n V2 router - need some advice

Helios
I've got a laptop (my PC is connected through a cable directly to the router) and I wanted wireless access in my house, so I got this pretty cheap router which some folks recommended.
My question is about the wireless security settings. Maybe it's worth to note that my lappy is using Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG.

I configured the security this way:

I can also choose WEP or WPA RADIUS encryption, but as far as I know I need to setup RADIUS somewhere to be able to use WPA RADIUS (and I really don't need it as far as I understand) and I also heard that WEP is "weaker" than WPA, being a very old standard. So I'm using WPA.
Now I'm not sure about the whole AES vs. WPA2-Mixed business, so I went with AES. WPA2-Mixed is just support for both WPA's on a single access point, but I have no problems with WPA2 so far and I'm keeping it that way I think.

I also enabled MAC filtering protection.

Anyway, is my security setup good enough? Would you recommend something else or to change something? Should I add more security to the whole setup, in your opinion?
FunDa
Yes, your security is good enough for a home setup.

Make the key a bit longer and also, don't make it easily guessable.

For example don't keep the password as

password
qwerty
iloveyou
letmein

If its any of these or any simple password, it doesn't matter what encryption you use, it just gets "hacked" by any random teenager with a wifi enabled mobile phone/laptop
Helios
Alright, changed the password to something a bit lengthier and more complex.
Thanks Smile

Anything else guys?
FunDa
That should be quite secure then. But remember: the best way to test a security system is to try to break it.

Google around for "security flaws in WPA"

If you tried "how to hack WEP password", you will find something called Backtrack which is quite simple to use.
Don't use it, but know that it exists.

Confused