FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mis leading ads

standready
Looks like the government finally decided to get off their backends about Dannon's Activia exaggerated claims!

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-activia-20101216,0,5651165.story

Several states are reaping the benefits. I heard on the local news this morning that Illinois will receive approximately $476,000 out of this settlement. I wonder who's pocket that money will fall into?
deanhills
Now this IS interesting, as I missed out on this news. Thanks for posting it. Activia is the most popular brand yogurt here in the UAE and I've heard so many of my friends saying how great it is. I like the taste of it and used to have it as a condiment with curry occasionally, however have stopped dairy products since July.

Better send links to my friends ..... or maybe not. Sometimes the power of self-delusion can be good for one's health, and if they think they are getting benefits, maybe ignorance is bliss in this case. Smile
liljp617
haha so they're concerned about supposedly misleading information that causes people to eat more yogurt...but hey, fast food commercials on primetime TV are great.

Have they ever watched TV past like 1am? That's where your actually harmful, misleading information is. That's where you find the nonsensical false advertising that actually preys relentlessly on desperate/gullible people. Yes, a lotion that cures arthritis. Nobody is ever going to be duped into buying that! Oh look, a pill that causes weight loss. There's no obese people around desperate enough to buy that!

Government: Either stay out of the advertising altogether, or apply the rules across the board. Then again, why the hell do I still expect consistency and rationality from a government such as ours?
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Government: Either stay out of the advertising altogether, or apply the rules across the board. Then again, why the hell do I still expect consistency and rationality from a government such as ours?
Agreed. I have to wonder about MacDonalds "fast" fresh food. I can't believe that MacDonalds staff are slaving in the kitchen with washing fresh lettuce and dicing fresh tomatoes for their "fresh" salads. No doubt when we get the true picture, it will be something along the lines of spraying/adding special ingredients to keep it fresh for the longest period of time. Similar to the burgers. So yes, all of us are probably being duped. Wish someone could take one of those "fresh" salads and have it tested for all of the ingredients.

And yes, Government probably will have to be careful, as I can imagine there must be many people thinking like you do, and particularly ones who are hot under their collar about specific examples, and before we know it Government will have its hands full with new legislation, or expanding the existing ones.
standready
deanhills wrote:
I can't believe that MacDonalds staff are slaving in the kitchen with washing fresh lettuce and dicing fresh tomatoes for their "fresh" salads.

Hey Dean, the salad is "fresh" out of a bag! No washing, slicing or dicing required in the restaurant.

There are so many mis-leading ads in the media. It is up to the consumer to do their homework about products they intend to use.