FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would happen if...

LittleBlackKitten
Cern actually got the Higggs? Theories?
Bikerman
It would go some way to completing the standard model of particles. We would then have a more complete understanding of why some things have mass and others do not - the current model does not explain this. Why, for example, does an electron have mass and a photon not? The Higgs field would explain this.
LittleBlackKitten
Would be entertaining if we got a black hole. Probably dark and painful, but I'd laugh at everyone...Or even better, a worm hole, and we find ourselves in the delta quatrant! </end dork>.

Perhaps photons do not have mass because they do not NEED mass...
Bikerman
I am very much hoping that we do get micro-black holes forming. That would provide some serious evidence for m-theory. If 'classic' physics is correct then they cannot form at the sort of energies available to CERN. If m-theory (superstring theory) is correct then they might.
In any case there is no danger from any such MBHs. They would be so tiny that they would be harmless, even if they didn't almost immediately vanish in a puff of Hawking radiation as predicted. Black holes are no different to ordinary matter, unless you get within the event horizon. In the case of Micro black holes, they are so tiny that even electrons are huge in comparison, and the event horizon is itself so tiny that nothing is ever likely to get that close.
LittleBlackKitten
Might lose a finger though! Laughing
Bikerman
Not likely - in fact 99.9999999999999% unlikely.*

* That being the proportion of matter to space in a typical finger.....
LittleBlackKitten
But, don't black holes draw in matter? I'm going off of Star Trek here, so...

I always thought no matter the size, black holes draw in energy, then expand as they do so...Or has Star Trek mislead me? Very Happy Lol...
Bikerman
Only in the same way that normal matter does.
If, for example, our Sun suddenly changed into a black hole of the same mass, then the planets would continue to orbit exactly the same.

The difference is that matter drawn into a BH is compressed into the infinitely small singularity at the centre - otherwise the BH behaves just like normal matter when considering gravitational attraction - unless you get inside the event horizon, at which point you can never escape.
LittleBlackKitten
Okay. So anything that's heading in the direction of a black hole or is nearby it for it's gravity to draw it in, would be drawn in? So unless you specifically jam your finger in to said black holes would you lose it, but even then I expect one would be strong enough to remove it safely...
Bikerman
No. Imagine the sun as an example. Most of the stuff in our Solar System doesn't get drawn into the sun. The planets are quite happy orbiting it, and most comets/meteors are also happy revolving in their orbits.
Now, if you jabbed your finger at a MBH then you have to remember that the MBH itself is so small that your finger, to it, is pretty much empty space. The actual particles in your finger are separated by distances so vast that the chances of the MBH coming anywhere near any of them are remote. It would very likely just slip between the gaps and pass through your finger as if it were not there at all.
LittleBlackKitten
Kind of like a ghost effect, more or less. I suppose it's a little creepy to think about.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
you have to remember that the MBH itself is so small that your finger, to it, is pretty much empty space. The actual particles in your finger are separated by distances so vast that the chances of the MBH coming anywhere near any of them are remote. It would very likely just slip between the gaps and pass through your finger as if it were not there at all.

Given that we have a terribly hard time even finding huge black holes, how could we possibly detect one that small, if they were present? Especially if it quickly collapsed?
Bikerman
By the energy given-off. It would produce a flurry of particles as it evaporated due to Hawking Radiation. This might be visible in the cloud chamber.
LittleBlackKitten
I feel so lost right now...LOL...
Bikerman
The following little compilation might help give some idea of scale
http://biker-den.co.uk/images/video/howbig/Default.html
LittleBlackKitten
Won't let me view it.
Bikerman
Give me 5 mins then try again.

OK should work now.
It needs Silverlight to stream properly but it should prompt you if it needs to be installed.

If you can't get it working then below is a link to the raw video - but it won't stream as well and may take a while to download.

http://biker-den.co.uk/images/video/howbig/HowBig.wmv