FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Get Speed with Solid -State Drive

rjraaz
Kingston Digital has announced the release of the Kingston SSdNow V+180 range, bringing performance, endurance and productivity of solid state drives (SSD) to the 1.8inch form factor. Part of the second generation Kingston SSDNow V+ range, the Kingston SSDNow V+180 is designed for today's ultra-mobile devices, and with road warriors in mind. Enterprises, SMBs and consumers can upgrade ultra-thin notebooks, certain notebooks, netbooks, and tablet PCs with a 1.8-inch form factor to enjoy supercharged performance, enhanced endurance and boosted productivity. Kingston's SSDNow can out-perform hard disk drives (HDD) by upt to five times, enabling boot times up to 60% faster and allowing users to load, switch and run multiple applications at the same time more effectively.

for further details please visit http://www.kingston.com/

and for price details visit http://www.kingston.com/india/ssd/vplus_180.asp?id=2
FunDa
That is good to know, but what about the cost ?

Is it worth the money ? Confused

If someone were to gift me an SSD drive, I would be very happy Rolling Eyes

My birthday is coming up sometime Wink
rjraaz
FunDa wrote:
That is good to know, but what about the cost ?

Is it worth the money ? Confused

If someone were to gift me an SSD drive, I would be very happy Rolling Eyes

My birthday is coming up sometime Wink

Thanks to ask for that i have modified my post please now you can find details at links i have posted there.
menino
SSD drives have really fast I/O and bandwidth internally, which makes them really fast, but they are really expensive and come at lower density than current models. i.e. there arent any 1TB models out as yet, and I think the last model came out was 256GB, which is still good, but still expensive than the sata-2 counterparts.

I believe that at the speed that which ssd drives operate, there may be a chance that RAM and hard disk storage will merge at a later stage, based on technology growth.
Hope we see this soon. Surprised
gphoenix
Currently SSDs are not practical.. you will get a 1 TB ordinary HDD for the price of a 160 GB SSD..

so , Currently normal HDDs will suit more.. but if you do not mind about the cost do consider the SSD.
Rajiev
gphoenix wrote:
Currently SSDs are not practical.. you will get a 1 TB ordinary HDD for the price of a 160 GB SSD..

so , Currently normal HDDs will suit more.. but if you do not mind about the cost do consider the SSD.

Then again, This is all about what you expect ton a HDD and how much deeper your pockets ( or your dads pockets0 are.

If you are a pack rat like me, and liek to save everymovie, TV show and all on teh HDD, Then conventional HDD are the thing for you.

But if you are a HArd core gamer with a nice rig, or a extremely agile person who works around the clock, on the bus, car and even on the tredmil, SSD can work for you.

Especially for performance freaks, It is useless how fasst is you Processor/ GPU / RAM / Mother board, cos its the HDD that kills you. You keep waiting, waiting and waiting for hours till your game loads. That suck when you are really in the gaming mood Sad
Flakky
I can't see the price details but I remember these being very expensive. For traditional hard drive you pay almost nothing per GB (around 1 cent) whilst you spend much more for SSD. And the filesizes are not what they used to be.

I can't watch some 1080p videos due to the harddisk speed of my computer. So I should put that one on an SSD but that would waste the very expensive space on it. As such a film is 4gb :/
FunDa
Flakky wrote:
I can't see the price details but I remember these being very expensive. For traditional hard drive you pay almost nothing per GB (around 1 cent) whilst you spend much more for SSD. And the filesizes are not what they used to be.

I can't watch some 1080p videos due to the harddisk speed of my computer. So I should put that one on an SSD but that would waste the very expensive space on it. As such a film is 4gb :/

Is it due to the hard disk speed or is it because of processor speed ? I had difficulty in watching 720p video(stutters) on my computer and could not even play 1080p, so I assumed it was because the processing speed was not enough and so never thought I could do it because upgrading processor is expensive. On the other hand, if the hard disk speed was the problem, I could always get a new faster hard disk and be able to play it. I want to buy a new hard disk anyway.

How to verify whether the processor OR RAM or hard disk speed is the bottleneck for playing 720p or 1080p videos ?

Is there a simple program to do it ?
mahirh
Flakky wrote:

try getting more ram/processing power/gpu , the disk may not be causing the problem , if you believe so , try loading it onto a flash drive and try watching the file from the flash drive. not all SSD's are lightning fast as in the videos
eday2010
Flakky wrote:

It's not the hard drive. I could play hd videos off of a 5400 RPM portable drive using my WD TV Live streamer with no problems. The problem is your CPU/RAM/Video Card, which is also what my problem is.