FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Travel Safelty Authority

yagnyavalkya
Is the TSA going too far?
deanhills
I am not sure what you mean and did a search on the Web. Is this what you had in mind for discussion?
Quote:
Washington, D.C. - Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano today announced that 100 percent of passengers on flights within or bound for the United States are now being checked against government watchlists - fulfilling a key 9/11 Commission recommendation a month ahead of schedule. The TSA reached 100 percent watch list matching for all domestic airlines on June 22.

Under Secure Flight, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) prescreens passenger name, date of birth and gender against terrorist watchlists before passengers receive their boarding passes. In addition to facilitating secure travel for all passengers, the program helps prevent the misidentification of passengers who have names similar to individuals on government watchlists. Prior to Secure Flight, airlines held responsibility for checking passengers against watchlists.

Quote:
Under Secure Flight, 99 percent of passengers are cleared to print boarding passes at home or at a self-serve kiosk. Individuals found to match watchlist parameters will be subject to secondary screening, a law enforcement interview or prohibition from boarding an aircraft, depending on the specific case.

TSA deploys a risk-based, layered security approach that utilizes a range of measures, both seen and unseen, including advanced technology, law enforcement, intelligence, terrorist watchlist checks and international collaboration.

Since the attempted terrorist attack on December 25, 2009, Secretary Napolitano, in conjunction with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), has been leading a global initiative to strengthen the international aviation system against the evolving threats posed by terrorists, working in multilateral and bilateral contexts with governments as well as industry.

Source: US Home Security Website Press Release 30-Nov-2010
ocalhoun
Quote:
Travel Safelty Authority

Rolling Eyes
Perhaps you're referring to the:
Transportation Security Administration (TSA)?
yagnyavalkya
ocalhoun wrote:
Quote:
Travel Safelty Authority

Rolling Eyes
Perhaps you're referring to the:
Transportation Security Administration (TSA)?

I guess it is Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
I saw this video http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2010/12/tsa_breast_milk_incident
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
I saw this video http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2010/12/tsa_breast_milk_incident
I don't think so yagnya. If people can make explosives from liquid, it would be easy to conceal it under the heading of breast milk. Only worry I would have when the airport security is going into extreme details like these, is that if they have an insufficient number of security staff to deal with all of the passengers, that there could be major bottle necks in the line ups, and when that happens, your really shrewd terrorists may get to slip through stuff that has as yet not been identified on the list that they are scrutinizing for. They could be so focussed on what to look for, that they may miss other security details that may not be on the list.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
your really shrewd terrorists may get to slip through stuff that has as yet not been identified on the list that they are scrutinizing for.

A really shrewd terrorist would simply detonate a few suitcase bombs in the middle of the crowd lined up for the security checkpoint.

-it would be deadly
-it would be terrifying (and ironic)
-there would be virtually no risk of being thwarted, as we have no security measures in place against it.
jwellsy
yagnyavalkya wrote:
Is the TSA going too far?

This depends on which side of the issue your on.

One side doesn't care what the TSA does, they can always change their plans.

One side is offended by unreasonable searches.

One side feels that they are doing what they have to do.

Another side thinks that they are not going far enough. The terrorist threat is a crisis that provides an opportunity to nudge the general population into altering their travel habits.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
your really shrewd terrorists may get to slip through stuff that has as yet not been identified on the list that they are scrutinizing for.

A really shrewd terrorist would simply detonate a few suitcase bombs in the middle of the crowd lined up for the security checkpoint.

-it would be deadly
-there would be virtually no risk of being thwarted, as we have no security measures in place against it.
Laughing Laughing I'm completely relieved you are not a terrorist Ocalhoun. Wow, hope that terrorists are not reading the posts of Frihost, as this most certainly would be an excellent tip. I can just imagine how it could have been made possible at Gatwick Airport, where when I last was there ins 2009, there had been four very long lines and all kinds of shapes of carry on luggage and total chaos around the scanning machines. Definitely doable .... Shocked
yagnyavalkya
It is not wrong to ensure proper search but to put passengers to inconvenience is difficult but how to do all this without putting the passengers to inconvenience
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
It is not wrong to ensure proper search but to put passengers to inconvenience is difficult but how to do all this without putting the passengers to inconvenience
Right. Including taking one's runners and socks off. And then one's belt, and I always wonder what is going to follow next? Smile No wonder the airport taxes are getting so high too. But hopefully that is making it at least a bit difficult for terrorists, or it could provide them with opportunities too?
ocalhoun
yagnyavalkya wrote:
It is not wrong to ensure proper search

Are you sure about that?
We have a constitutional right to not be searched unless suspected of a specific crime.

Want to have a fun time?
Walk into the TSA's new scanner, and the moment they turn it on, drop to the floor, screaming "Oh my god! It burns! My skin's on fire!" as loud as you can.
Heck, you might even be able to sue the TSA for pain and suffering... They would probably settle it out of court in an effort to keep it quiet. (Previous diagnosis of a rare skin condition is a plus. ^.^)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Want to have a fun time?
Walk into the TSA's new scanner, and the moment they turn it on, drop to the floor, screaming "Oh my god! It burns! My skin's on fire!" as loud as you can.
Heck, you might even be able to sue the TSA for pain and suffering... They would probably settle it out of court in an effort to keep it quiet. (Previous diagnosis of a rare skin condition is a plus. ^.^)
Now that is a good thought! However, what would the chances be that they may think you are crazy or a terrorist first of all? May be interesting to try it as an experiment though? Maybe we should ask journalists if they could try that out to facilitate a good story? Twisted Evil
yagnyavalkya
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

-it would be deadly
Laughing Laughing I'm completely relieved you are not a terrorist Ocalhoun. Wow, hope that terrorists are not reading the posts of Frihost, as this most certainly would be an excellent tip. I can just imagine how it could have been made possible at Gatwick Airport, where when I last was there ins 2009, there had been four very long lines and all kinds of shapes of carry on luggage and total chaos around the scanning machines. Definitely doable .... Shocked

Now look what happened in Moscow
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
What happened in Moscow ... Question
yagnyavalkya
deanhills wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Domodedovo_International_Airport_bombing
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
deanhills wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Thanks yagnyavalkya. That is really awful. Guess no one can relax. Moscow has its own special brand of terrorists too.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:
deanhills wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Thanks yagnyavalkya. That is really awful. Guess no one can relax. Moscow has its own special brand of terrorists too.

The sad truth of the Moscow bombing though is that it happened on the 'safe' side of security control. TSA 'pat-downs' wouldn't have prevented it because the bombers were on the public side of airport security. Now, if it creates an argument that everyone should be screened before even getting into an airport complex, it still won't make any of us safer because we all have to buy things and bombers would presumably just target shopping malls or other public areas with high density of people.

I grew up with the threat of IRA terrorism and they just picked easy targets like bars/pubs/town centers etc. Security will never be perfect anywhere, ever, but knowing that the flight you might take is safe does not guarantee that the exit from the airport will be.

To be honest, I'd probably prefer the small risk of a terrorist blowing me up instead of more draconian laws/checkpoints/whatever.
We seem to being conditioned into being 'scared' of the invisible enemy, as George Orwell put it in 1984: "We've always been at war with Eastasia" ...or is it Eurasia these days? I guess it depends on our media source!
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
To be honest, I'd probably prefer the small risk of a terrorist blowing me up instead of more draconian laws/checkpoints/whatever.
Agreed. When I was reading your posting the first thought that came in my head is Governments beefing up on electronic surveillance, more invasion of privacy. More cameras everywhere, including from satellites.
airh3ad
This is also an advise Safety and Security - Terrorism
There is a high threat from terrorism throughout the world. Terrorist groups continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and the intent to carry out these attacks at anytime and anywhere in the country. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. Such places could include, but are not limited to, airports, shopping malls, places of worship etc.
menino
How effective have the tsa been while doing this lately?
Have they found any bombs as yet with the pat downs?
silverdown
Yes and no

YES cuz we got rights they are violating

NO cuz we got terrorists....

Sady... no one wins.... Shocked
ocalhoun
silverdown wrote:

When you act based on fear of terrorism, the terrorists win.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
silverdown wrote:

When you act based on fear of terrorism, the terrorists win.
When one acts or believes on the basis of fear, one loses. Period. However, it is still good to make it difficult for the terrorists to fly into a country. I don't think we can cover all the bases, but we can at least try and cover those that are practically feasible. And hope for the best. I privately get irritated by the line-ups for security, and having to take off my runners, but if that is all I have to do, then that is not too bad. I dress for Security. No belt with metal clasps, very simple and very light overnight bag with goodies for the flight, and leave all my stuff in my main bag that goes in the hold. I feel sorry for mothers and babies however. It is already quite stressful to take an infant travelling by air, and then to go through security has to be doubly stressful.