FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PC Controlling

n0obie4life
I have 3 PCs on my network.

So I'm using PC 1 and I want to control PC 2 and 3 from PC 1.
OR
I'm using PC 2 and I want to control PC 1 and 3 from PC 2.
OR
I'm using PC 3 and I want to control PC 1 and 2 from PC 3.

How would I do that?

All the PC's are on the same network.
dan751
You could use Remote Desktop if you want.Smile There is a nifty program my dad uses to connect to his office computer from home, it's called Ctrellix or something, I can't remember, however, I can find out for you on Saturday.Very Happy
aranoth
realvnc / radmin / rdesktop
n0obie4life
Okay wait.

I need FREE ones Wink
gh0stface
n0obie4life wrote:
Okay wait.

I need FREE ones Wink

Well, if you use Windows XP for all three of the machines, I know that XP has something like that.

Just goto Control Panel -> System -> Remote and enable Remote Assistance and Remote Desktops on the computers you want to control I believe.

I never used it before so you might have to play around with it.
n0obie4life
But with that, the other pc has to have remote control open too...Wink

@dan751 Yeah sure Wink. I'd be glad.
izcool
n0obie4life wrote:
Okay wait.

I need FREE ones Wink

As aranoth had mentioned in a reply above this one, you can get a free version of RealVNC at http://www.realvnc.com/ . It needs to be configured though, but it's a great program as I use it a lot since I have many computers around here that aren't hooked up to monitors. Wink The nice thing about it is that you can connect to a computer through RealVNC from another computer connected to the internet. If you wanted to also, you could get to the one computer, and log into yet another computer on your home network through RealVNC from the first one. As you should know, only one PC can be accessible publically unless if you change the port numbers in the settings.

- Mike.
n0obie4life
Thanks Wink.

*sends you a cookie*
Daniel15
I use TightVNC, which is basically an improved version of VNC. You can get it from http://www.tightvnc.com/
TheGeek
I dont know if this does it, but i know there is a program that works like Linux's virtual desktop thing works. You can have multiple desktops represented as little thumbnails at the bottom of the page. I dont know if it can be configured to work with multiple machines though, ill try to find the program for you.
dan751
Sorry Noobie, time ran out, I didn't get a chance to find out the name of the program.
Sneaky
I didn't want to make a separate topic for this one, and I don't mean to hijack this one, but I had a question.

I will be recieving 2 computers (with all the crap, monitor, keyboard, etc), and I wish to use the two towers' harddrives as extra storage for my own main computer that I currently own. Let me phrase it in a situation. Say I want to install a game, but I want to put it on a secondary tower, on it's HD. How would I go about doing this.. I would stack the two towers next to my main one, and I am guessing that I would connect all 3 with ethernet cords/cables.

Can anyone help me plan/organize this and how I could go about it?
izcool
Sneaky wrote:
I didn't want to make a separate topic for this one, and I don't mean to hijack this one, but I had a question.

I will be recieving 2 computers (with all the crap, monitor, keyboard, etc), and I wish to use the two towers' harddrives as extra storage for my own main computer that I currently own. Let me phrase it in a situation. Say I want to install a game, but I want to put it on a secondary tower, on it's HD. How would I go about doing this.. I would stack the two towers next to my main one, and I am guessing that I would connect all 3 with ethernet cords/cables.

Can anyone help me plan/organize this and how I could go about it?

Do you plan on keeping the 2 hard drives from those 2 machines in those machines or do you plan on taking them out to use as secondaries in your current machine ? That would be one way to do it (2 hard drives in one computer, you can stuff more into a computer if you get an IDE controller card). The other way is to use those 2 PC's as file servers (or program servers maybe). I've seen a lot of people who used Windows Server OS's and had a lot of success with them. (Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, etc). I've not tried their line of Server OS's yet, so I can't really tell you much about them. If you were to network those 3 machines together, you would need to get a router. I recommend D-Link as my Linksys router has given me problems left and right. I don't use it any more since I've redone my network with a D-Link router.

- Mike.
Sneaky
Ah I've heard of those but never looked into it! What a great idea!! The only problem now is I need mounting space of the extra 2 HDs.. can I "convert" an optical drive bay to a HD size bay? Or is there another way to go about that..

EDIT: Aha! I should have googled that before I posted. I found this. Woo!