FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mobile Egg-shaped House to solve housing problems

deanhills
I thought this was pretty ingenuous but awesome idea of a 24-year old architect student. Dai Haifei of Beijing thought of building a mobile home that he could park on a side-walk as a way of solving the high cost of housing.

Quote:
Acting on an impulse familiar to many young people these days, Dai Haifei, a 24-year-old architect in Beijing, said to hell with high rents, and built himself a house. The six-foot-tall, solar-powered, egg-shaped abode is made of bamboo, wood and grass seed, and fits easily on a sidewalk. "The seeds will grow in the natural environment and it's cold-proof," Dai told China Daily. He then added that it's "a bit cold sometimes." Whatever. It's rent-free, dude!

Or, rather it was. Haifei has been ordered off the streets, and is uncertain of where he will go. Facing tough economic realities, the young architect preferred to design and build the $964 structure than to rent a traditional apartment. He says that his mom and dad, a maid and construction worker respectively, would like to buy him a house, but would have to make payments for 300 years to do so. At the moment, Haifei is crashing with a friend, and weighing his options. Fortunately, he still has his job, and his firm (which must be impressed by his ingenuity) has kept the egg house. A source at the firm told People's Daily: "At present, there are still many technical aspects of the egg house that should be improved, such as waste disposal and heat preservation problems, so we cannot begin mass production."

Still, if that sentence has as big a "yet" on the end of it as we think it does, Haifei may not have to worry about rent money for much longer.

Source: Aol Tech
ocalhoun
Or, you could go with;

Slightly more expensive ($3500 would suffice for the cheapest available combo), but it would be much roomier, and you can simply park it an an ordinary parking space.
And, as a bonus, it doubles as transportation.

... You can even get one with a bathroom, kitchen, A/C, heat, windows, et cetera... All features that I seriously doubt that little egg has.

I'm aware that most city parking spaces are not free, but surely you could find somewhere free -- or at least cheap -- to park it within easy commuting distance.
deanhills
Actually I was thinking about my retirement years. I have no pension, so visualize myself pushing a shopping cart in Stanley Park, Vancouver BC and sleeping in the Park. This egg-shaped home would have blended right in with the bushes. Think I would have preferred the hone to be a bit smaller though. Smile
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Actually I was thinking about my retirement years. I have no pension, so visualize myself pushing a shopping cart in Stanley Park, Vancouver BC and sleeping in the Park. This egg-shaped home would have blended right in with the bushes. Think I would have preferred the hone to be a bit smaller though. Smile

Not while I'm alive, Dean! If you are pushing a shopping cart in Stanley Park then you need to go to the public library, get internet access, and tell us here on frihost. I'll put you up at my place if it comes to that, bud, but I'm sure all the frihosters could probably come up with a better option. You have friends here dude... don't forget that!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Not while I'm alive, Dean! If you are pushing a shopping cart in Stanley Park then you need to go to the public library, get internet access, and tell us here on frihost. I'll put you up at my place if it comes to that, bud, but I'm sure all the frihosters could probably come up with a better option. You have friends here dude... don't forget that!
Thx Dude .... nice to hear ... but it's really not that bad to live in Stanley Park. The bird life there is quite amazing.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

You know... living off the land is a lot easier if you go somewhere that there's a lot of land... and where it's more legal. ^.^

(Last week I lived in the woods for 2 days testing my survival pack... chopped firewood, killed and ate small animals, et cetera... Worked great, only problem was how boring it turned out to be.)
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
(Last week I lived in the woods for 2 days testing my survival pack... chopped firewood, killed and ate small animals, et cetera... Worked great, only problem was how boring it turned out to be.)

I can't stop my life long enough to have fun doing that although I wish I could. The boredom would be a blessing, as my life is a little crazy lately.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
You know... living off the land is a lot easier if you go somewhere that there's a lot of land... and where it's more legal. ^.^

Aaaaah ..... have you documented it, as that has to be another winner thread just waiting to come to life?

By the way, were you able to pick up Internet reception out in the wilds, were you able to make postings where you were? Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Aaaaah ..... have you documented it, as that has to be another winner thread just waiting to come to life?

By the way, were you able to pick up Internet reception out in the wilds, were you able to make postings where you were? Very Happy

He's a radio guy who works for the government... I'll wager that he can get connected more places than just about anyone, and that may include the deep dark woods.

I didn't hear him say he took a solar charger for any equipment, so it's also likely that he left all electronic devices at home. Maybe a turned off cell phone in his pack, but that was probably about it.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

No, didn't bring the camera, sorry.
Pack was heavy enough anyway, what with the added guns... Normally I just carry a .380, but this time I was carrying the .380, a .45, and a shotgun... and ammo for all of them.
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Quote:

He's a radio guy who works for the government... I'll wager that he can get connected more places than just about anyone, and that may include the deep dark woods.

I didn't hear him say he took a solar charger for any equipment, so it's also likely that he left all electronic devices at home. Maybe a turned off cell phone in his pack, but that was probably about it.

Uh, no... No connection at all. Cell phones don't even get a signal where I was.
I could set up a connection with a computer and satellite setup, but that's a LOT of extra weight in an already unbearably heavy pack...

YOU carry around 2/3 of your bodyweight (while climbing up a mountain without trails), and then tell me that you want to add more weight to it!
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
No, didn't bring the camera, sorry.
Pack was heavy enough anyway, what with the added guns... Normally I just carry a .380, but this time I was carrying the .380, a .45, and a shotgun... and ammo for all of them.
So did you get the opportunity to use all the guns? Laughing
ocalhoun wrote:
Uh, no... No connection at all. Cell phones don't even get a signal where I was.
I could set up a connection with a computer and satellite setup, but that's a LOT of extra weight in an already unbearably heavy pack...

YOU carry around 2/3 of your bodyweight (while climbing up a mountain without trails), and then tell me that you want to add more weight to it!
Well, you said it was boring, so I though being able to post on Frihost when you are out in the wilds would be a great way of relieving the boredom ..... Laughing
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
So did you get the opportunity to use all the guns? Laughing

The shotgun yes, it makes the food creatures stop moving. ^.^
The other guns? ... Does 'making me feel safer by just being there' count as use?
Quote:

Well, you said it was boring, so I though being able to post on Frihost when you are out in the wilds would be a great way of relieving the boredom ..... Laughing

Well, yes, Frihost would relive the boredom all right... But carrying Frihost around is too heavy.
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
But carrying Frihost around is too heavy.

It's all the extra subforums that makes it heavy! Smile
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Has to be the Phil&Rel Forum .... Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Yeah, general chat may be a lot bigger, but it's filled with mostly light stuff... Lots of heavy stuff in P&R.

And you want me to carry around the language forums, too? I can't even use most of those!
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Yeah, general chat may be a lot bigger, but it's filled with mostly light stuff... Lots of heavy stuff in P&R.

And you want me to carry around the language forums, too? I can't even use most of those!

It puts the lotion on it's skin, and carries the language forums to new heights!
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

It puts the lotion on it's skin, and carries the language forums to new heights!

Or it gets the hose again?

Ha! What are you going to do if I've got your dog though?
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Or it gets the hose again?

Ha! What are you going to do if I've got your dog though?

Ahhhhhh!!! Put the dog in the basket! Smile
ricardo22
wooooww cool Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
ricardo22 wrote:
wooooww cool Very Happy

What's cool? Me keeping ocalhoun in my basement? Yeah, that's pretty cool!
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
ricardo22 wrote:
wooooww cool Very Happy

What's cool? Me keeping ocalhoun in my basement? Yeah, that's pretty cool!

Naw, the cool part is how you were considerate enough to put an internet-connected computer in the hole for me.

...Perhaps you're wondering why I haven't used it to call for help?
Meh, maybe I will in a while, but for now, it's nice and cool and comfortable down here, and the food he sends down in the basket is pretty good.
deanhills
How about taking iPad with you. Seems to be easy and light to carry everywhere?
Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
How about taking iPad with you. Seems to be easy and light to carry everywhere?
Very Happy

It puts the ipad in the basket or it gets the hose again! Smile

ocalhoun wrote:
Meh, maybe I will in a while, but for now, it's nice and cool and comfortable down here, and the food he sends down in the basket is pretty good.

I'm in software. I programmed your computer to block any escape attempt, and I programmed the whole world not to care that you're in the basement, so you're screwed! Smile
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:

I'm in software. I programmed your computer to block any escape attempt, and I programmed the whole world not to care that you're in the basement, so you're screwed! Smile

Oh, okay. I'll just have to await dramatic rescue by a brave, yet emotionally troubled detective...

In the meantime, it does NOT put the ipad in the basket! It is not done posting on Frihost yet.
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:

Oh, okay. I'll just have to await dramatic rescue by a brave, yet emotionally troubled detective...

In the meantime, it does NOT put the ipad in the basket! It is not done posting on Frihost yet.

IT gets the hose again!
fuzzkaizer
quite amazing, that egg-house. even more that it's been created in such a nonconformistic circumstances. i'd like to see more funny housings like that one! but would i want to live in it? not so sure...
milkshake01
I don't really like the house because the design is not attractive and it is too small.
fuzzkaizer
here's a blog about lots of 'not so attractive' and quite small houses: The $300 House Blog
I found that looking for more information about that egg-house. If you are in for cheap retirement solutions, here are some to choose from... but perhaps they were thought more as a solution for other human catastrophies, like the earthquakes in haiti etc:

http://www.300house.com/blog/2011/06/300-house-open-design-challenge-winners.html
fuzzkaizer
and here's a variation to the egg-house:
the tsunami ball, a fibre-glass ball capsule construction, which is supposed to be able to hold up to four adult persons. it's not for housing, of course, but eventually to survive a tsunami. here's a picture:
http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/11033516209/japanese-tsunami-survival-ball-goes-on-sale
Doesn't look too comfortable and spacious, too, but that never was it's purpose.
zaxacongrejo
japan as a long tradition in micro houses is for far the best country to see them
zaxacongrejo
take a look here http://www.dezeen.com/2009/06/09/house-in-sakuragawa-by-suppose-design-office/
deanhills
Guess that is quite the opposite from egg-shaped .... interesting design ....
zaxacongrejo
The egg shaped is just a design will never be adopted anywhere
You will be better served with a ship container
LxGoodies
Hmm this was the idea, Dean ?

This house looks like a submarine not a house.

I think the future may be floating houses. On water.

http://inspirationgreen.com/floating-homes.html

There is plenty of room, countries on the sea shore can expand easily. By winning new land, or building floating homes.

http://www.maasvlakte2.com/en/index/

This is near Rotterdam.. ca 2,000 hectares were sea, now they are land.

Lx
deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:
I think the future may be floating houses. On water.
I'm totally fascinated with those. Think we had a thread somewhere about. I should check where it is. One guy had done one with a garden and the whole works in it.

LxGoodies wrote:
There is plenty of room, countries on the sea shore can expand easily. By winning new land, or building floating homes.

http://www.maasvlakte2.com/en/index/

This is near Rotterdam.. ca 2,000 hectares were sea, now they are land.

Lx
I love those as well.
twotrophy
I won't consider the micro-house as a real house because it isn't built permanently on the ground. To me, it looks more of a giant bag. This thing could have been built out of protest. I don't find living in there comfortable because of a lack of toilets.
LxGoodies
What about hanging your house up in a tree

http://asnailpace.com/blog/spherical-tree-house/

I don't mind it has no toilet, go outside Laughing plenty of trees around

Lx
deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:
What about hanging your house up in a tree

http://asnailpace.com/blog/spherical-tree-house/

I don't mind it has no toilet, go outside Laughing plenty of trees around

Lx
We must be on the same wave length, I posted this one in April 2011 (you should check out the thread, it was a Bondings 1st April special - FriHouse, a free house for everyone!) Very Happy :
deanhills wrote:
goutha wrote:
I love small houses. Not sure if the concept of free house is realistic. But I like the idea of small houses that contains everything.

Talking about small houses, how about a tree house?

This tree house has been constructed on Vancouver Island, BC. More details about the construction:
http://markmahaney.com/projects/editorialwork/treehouses/slide1/

Source
fuzzkaizer
I also saw that ball-treehouse before, somewhere... it was featured on a site about something like "top ten amazing tree houses: http://weburbanist.com/2008/02/10/10-amazing-tree-houses-from-around-the-world-sustainable-unique-and-creative-designs/
of course that tree-house-egg fits quite into this thread... for the endurance-testing of the egg-metaphor for a house, i propose there are egg houses laid by sort of giant hens, and others laid by quite big birds able to fly.

thanks for the posts about the floating houses! i really enjoyed those. this thread is becoming an acumulation of alternative housings...
LxGoodies
Owww @Dean pardon me.. I looked for "sphere houses" in Google, maybe it's a very famous one ?

fuzzkaizer wrote:
this thread is becoming an acumulation of alternative housings...

What about cube houses, very Dutch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_house

Looks nice, not so sustainable.. this is one that could be nice when there is no room .. stack'em Very Happy Singapore..

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/09/28/futuristic-eco-housing-visionary-green-public-space-ideas/

Lx
deanhills
I've never seen those before. WOW! What happens if there is no electricity, does one have to walk through all of those stairs? Very creative idea however.

Thought this one was great since someone made it himself.

fuzzkaizer
another one, rather sketchy, without electricity, plastic-wrapping etc., but with lots of fresh air. also self-made (- for my personal taste, i also do prefer the self-made ones to the industrial, serial-built instant homes, however sofisticated those may be. this is, of course, a purely estetic opinion. for real-life i'd surely prefer reasonable compromises.):

it is a weaver bird style house...
fuzzkaizer
LxGoodies wrote:

Looks nice, not so sustainable.. this is one that could be nice when there is no room .. stack'em Very Happy Singapore..

ah, got it, also a nice "acumulation of houses"!
LxGoodies
Tiny narrow houses..

one meter inside !

..and this is the Amsterdam version.. it is 17th century

See more,

http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/tiny_houses.html

Smile Lx
deanhills
fuzzkaizer wrote:
another one, rather sketchy, without electricity, plastic-wrapping etc., but with lots of fresh air. also self-made (- for my personal taste, i also do prefer the self-made ones to the industrial, serial-built instant homes, however sofisticated those may be. this is, of course, a purely estetic opinion. for real-life i'd surely prefer reasonable compromises.):

it is a weaver bird style house...
Laughing I love it! Whoever designed it must have a GREAT sense of humour! lol
deanhills
Just found this photo of a shack on the beach. WOW! Now that would be an awesome life for me. Also just the right size.

ocalhoun

Is it just me, or would the building on the top be an absolute deathtrap in the event of a major fire or earthquake?

Getting to and from the top level from the ground must be pretty complicated and time consuming.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

Is it just me, or would the building on the top be an absolute deathtrap in the event of a major fire or earthquake?

Getting to and from the top level from the ground must be pretty complicated and time consuming.
I thought so too. I still wonder how one gets to it though? How would the elevator system work to get one up there? I can see links (look like two external stair cases) from Layer three to Layer four, but none from Layers one and two.
fuzzkaizer
LxGoodies wrote:
Tiny narrow houses..

one meter inside !

..and this is the Amsterdam version.. it is 17th century

See more,

http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/tiny_houses.html

Smile Lx

ah, i like that! in Torino, Italy, there i saw also a very narrow house, it was called something like "piece of cake" or "pizza-house" because of it's form. it had about four or more floors, with just one room each, a window on the street-side, and the small staircase on the opposite side, squeezed into a sharp angle, because of the houses form, which brought the name above to it...
and the designboom-link is excellent of course,

the hermits cabin http://www.designboom.com/contemporary/tiny_houses/22.jpg i find especially charming with it's hot-water boiler on the stove! great idea! it might also help to use some of the heat that is lost way out through the chimney...
fuzzkaizer
Here's another one for the mobile egg house thread:
It's called "ECOCAPSULE" and as they say, it's rather not thought to be a permanent dwelling, but rather thought to be "an independent research station or a tourist lodge to an emergency housing or a humanitarian-action unit."
It also counts on "portability and flexibility" like the other egg houses.
What is new is it's "immense off-grid life span" and it is sort of supporting itself with electricity (by it's solar panel covered surface and it's wind-engine) and rain water.

π

For the original presentation by it's producers, Nice Architects, see here:
http://www.ecocapsule.sk/ecocapsule
jajarvin
Today we need new visions.
Here is a vision which really makes all up and down:

fuzzkaizer
come on, that's a cheap vision!
LxGoodies
Most egg houses are so small ! This one is beautiful though, the Exbury Egg, it is an art project,

Here's another floating egg. This one looks quite comfortable.. Razz dunno if it really exists, though..
The image is on www.planet.fr, available in Google French images. (i put both on our server to make sure it stays online.. )

deanhills
Would be interesting to see what happens if there is a storm or great wind blowing. Razz

Here's an interesting one in the woods - looks a bit more sturdy ...

http://www.homedit.com/top-5-unusual-egg-shaped-houses/egg-shaped-tree-house2/
jajarvin
Slovak architects have developed a mini home that gets along with just wind and solar power.
Since 2008 been running a project to show that two adults in a small home can not do
without connection to the fixed electricity grid.
Ecocapsule is a low-energy house packed into a compact form.

Here is the description of Ecocapsule:
http://nicearchitects.sk/en/ecocapsule
Code:
It merges an energy efficient shape, compact volume and off-grid capabilities
with the luxuries of a warm bed, running water and a hot meal.

Ecocapsule is powered by a built-in wind turbine complemented with an array of solar cells.
 Dual power system and a high-capacity battery ensures that you will have enough power
during periods of reduced solar or wind activity.
Spherical shape is optimized for the collection of rainwater and dew and the built-in water
filters allow you to utilize any water source.
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
Would be interesting to see what happens if there is a storm or great wind blowing. Razz

It needs an anchor.. maybe a rigid and heavy anchor ? in shallow water without tides, it could be fastened firmly to the bottom, with something..

I found a really beautiful one. With "case huevo" in Google images… it even looks Spanish… not really "mobile" but it sure is an egg shape,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vectorafija/2431504245/
fuzzkaizer
here another similar one, called La Cupola, it is placed on the italian island Sardegna:
π
obviously it has been abandoned at the time of the photography, but the site, its called Sardegna Abbandonata where i found it, writes that it has new owners - hopefully they restore this nice building! Not only it's interesting shape, but the view of the Sea alone would be a reason to restore it...
here's the link:
http://www.sardegnaabbandonata.it/cupola-antonioni-costa-paradiso/
deanhills
@fuzzkaizer. Really like it. Built of real bricks and mortar and with an outstanding view on top of it all. Lots of potential for the new owners.

This one is built in a flood zone in Florida. Must have been expensive to build.

Source: http://dornob.com/surf-turf-wave-shaped-home-lofted-in-fema-flood-zone/
fuzzkaizer
after a quick look i couldn't find any of thoses seventies (or rather late sixties , 1968 it says there) 'Futuro-houses' -
here's a nice picture that contrasts it to other architecture, making it more like from outer space:
π

i found that on a site dedicated especially to that Futuro-House, which was originally meant to be a portable Ski-Chalet:
http://www.thefuturohouse.com/Futuro-House-Lost-Locations.html#todmorden

It's not exactly egg-shaped, but still it fits quite good into the little collection of houses we have here, i think.
deanhills
Really like this one Fuzzkaizer. Reminds me a little of the James Bond - Stromberg baddie home - Atlantis - domish to a certain extent but with an awesome aquarium. That would be my dream home.

LxGoodies
fuzzkaizer wrote:
after a quick look i couldn't find any of thoses seventies (or rather late sixties , 1968 it says there) 'Futuro-houses' -
here's a nice picture that contrasts it to other architecture, making it more like from outer space:

deanhills wrote:
Really like this one Fuzzkaizer. Reminds me a little of the James Bond - Stromberg baddie home - Atlantis - domish to a certain extent but with an awesome aquarium. That would be my dream home.

Hmm.. these alien invasion gives me the creeps to be honest.. If I think of my dream mobile house, I prefer

http://inhabitat.com/the-drop-eco-hotel-is-a-portable-prefab-pod-for-the-modern-nomad/

Quote:
The DROP Eco-Hotel provides a mobile dwelling for modern nomads. The prefabricated structure consists of a central tube capped on either end by big fully operable bubble windows that provide natural ventilation. The pod hotel is wrapped with a slotted wood facade that helps to mitigate heat, while a skylight running the entire length of the home provides ample daylighting. A rainwater recycling system harvests H2O for use within the building, further reducing its environmental impact.

The central interior corridor of the DROP Hotel features space for a bedroom and lounge area, while the bathroom and utilities are located in separate rooms set along the building’s sides. The pod hotel’s base is elevated above the earth to minimize its impact upon its site. In-Tenta‘s DROP Eco-Hotel won a design competition this year and will be featured as an available model in Urban Square‘s catalog of architecture projects.

Read more: The DROP Eco-Hotel is a Portable Prefab Pod Home for the Modern Nomad | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
Angel
deanhills
Agree with you LxGoodies. Yours look much more natural and is probably much more affordable. Would be nice to have one of those in a tree.

fuzzkaizer
Oh, I think I like all those egg houses, but rather as ideas than to live really in one of them.
this one is not so much for living inside, because it is a theatre. At least it is called 'Egg':
π

It is the "The Egg Theatre at Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY, 1968-76, by Harrison & Abramovitz.

It is more half an egg, though...

more pics here:
http://architectureuberalles.tumblr.com/post/120280897796/the-egg-theater-1966-78-empire-state-plaza
fuzzkaizer
these were for dwellers, but also only half spheres, that is rather buckminsterfullerons, and they were DIY and economic etc: the drop city domes:

π

more pictures and information of them to be found on a charming post of a blog for Students at the Bartlett School of Architecture:

http://bartlettyear1architecture.blogspot.co.at/2010/10/drop-city.html
fuzzkaizer
At some place this thread used to be more about micro-houses than about egg-shaped buildings. Just to feed this part, I found another little house, built for about 1000 euros on a open source DIY design. Here is the link: http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/1000-small-home-built-in-100-hours-from-open-sourcesign/

and a little clip about it: ¥

btw, the little house is located somewhere in Spain.
fuzzkaizer
this one they call:
"Roxbury Shell House
The Shell House was designed by Seymour Rutkin in 1996 and built with the help of the Monolithic Dome Institute. It is located in the Catskill Mountains of New York."
I found it in a Shell-House-blog...
http://shell-house.tumblr.com/

π

could be at it's best only quater of an egg...
fuzzkaizer
and here: the "bubble houses":

a 1930ies housing project that spread from Los Angeles to Dakar:

π

There's a blog that resumes the bubble house history, information abour his arquitect, Wallace Neff, and also how it was constructed: They inflated half of a big balloon and later coverd the walls with concrete...:
π

the blog:
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/bubble-houses/
fuzzkaizer
another set of concrete domes, this time in Florida, Cape Romano:

π

they were built by an oil producer called Bob Lee in 1981 and had quite special features:
"the eccentric vacation home was to be a self-sufficient, eco-friendly relaxation spot for his family. Among the innovations at the site are the raised units themselves which would be heated by lighting fires among the concrete pylons beneath the rooms, and the dome-shaped roofs which were to direct rainwater into troughs that would then be collected for showering and dishwater.
Even the tumultuous Florida weather was taken into account and the sturdy, rounded domes were able to sustain hurricane winds with little damage."

Once way back then they looked like this:

π

Unfortunately the errosion of the beach led the dwellers to abandon their home.

Here's the full article:
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/cape-romano-dome-house
deanhills
I love that style fuzzkaizer. Wish I could build a home like that for me. Nice to have a dome for a ceiling instead of the square ones that have become so boring. Good lesson about not to build them too close to the beach.
fuzzkaizer
Ha! Where I was born, it is a virtue to work, work and work and: to build a house, of course. Somehow someday I decided that I would like rather not to. Nevertheless I enjoy imagining how it would be building a house, and of course I agree with you on that those domes are really more interesting than ordinary houses!
deanhills
I like the ones in the Kruger National Park - not as interesting as the project you've just shown, but still, I like thatched roofs, got a special smell - natural and also is cooling at the same time:

fuzzkaizer
that style may be quite close to traditional african buildings, like this one here:

π

found that in an interesting article containing sostenible architecture, although it might be off topic, I have to mention this fantastic air conditioning chimney from Iran, it works without electricity btw...

π

the mentioned article is about low-tech bioclimatic in italian language, though: http://www.architetturaecosostenibile.it/architettura/criteri-progettuali/bioclimatica-low-tech-esempi-069/
fuzzkaizer
but here's more domes, some bucky-fuller-domes-to-go, called "the Garden Igloo":

π

as the name and the picture indicate in a subtle way, this 'product' is not thought for hippies or drop city dwellers,
but rather for those who want "to have a sanctuary to protect against bugs and sudden inclement weather"...
for the rather well settled citizens, owning ordinary house, garden, swimming-pool, garage and atomic-bomb-shelter combinations...

π
LxGoodies
Looks quite relaxed, that garden iglo.. unfortunatly my garden is about as large as my balcony so it would hardly fit in.

Ok.. egg shaped architecture Cool well

I know of a few examples in my country, both in Eindhoven,

This is a shopping mall actually. Clothing and interior decoration Razz

This last building above named "Evoluon" I've visited often, as a kid. There used to be a technology exhibition with all kinds of interactive stuff..

back in the 70's already.

Philips used to sponsor it.. long ago
fuzzkaizer
another house that won't save that much housing problems, neither it is egg-shaped, but at least somehow round - and also called 'the round house'

π

also called 'ford residence', built in 1951 by architect Bruce Goff and placed in Aurora, Illinois...

π

By then it was photographed by Eliot Elisophon for Life Magazin:

π
π
π

It is also featured in this 2012 article about it's architect Bruce Goff:
Midwestern Futurism: The Endangered Legacy of an Avant-garde Architect by Allison Meier on August 22, 2012 -
http://hyperallergic.com/55861/bruce-goff-forgotten-master-of-avant-garde-architecture/
found that short note on it here:
http://rollership.tumblr.com/post/130610699395/midcenturymodernfreak-1948-ford-quonset-hut
fuzzkaizer
for once in a while, egg-shaped and mini, houses set in a row on a beach:

π

they don't seem to be houses meant to live in, but rather beach cabins? although they have at least electricity and electric light inside, as it looks from these night shots:

π
π
π

unfortunately there's not that much information about the project on the website, it seems from a corean photo studio or something? called 'indiphos studio', and here's their url:
http://www.indiphos.com/neweb/index.html
more is to find on designboom:
http://www.designboom.com/architecture/yoon-space-song-pyoung-albang-egg-shaped-outdoor-living-capsules-seoul-korea-12-12-2014/
There it says that these are
"albang outdoor living capsules
photo by yoon space + song pyoung"
 furthermore
they are placed "along the shores of seoul, korea, yoon space and song pyoung have envisioned the prototype for a series of giant egg-shaped capsules called ‘albang’. the designers wanted to suggest a maximum amount of occupiable area with a minimum amount of interior design, rendering the concept of an ‘outdoor living space.’ but straying away from the normative conditions provided by hotels, tents, and camping cars, the constructs grant a unique experience that can be moved to any location."
fuzzkaizer
and here we have rather an object of art, for it's also made by artist James Turrell:

π

and it is called "autonomous structure", maybe rather for it's perfect round shape and less for the infrastructure it would provide in it's insides.
so an ideal place for it might be the backside of the moon, or the surface of mars, at least some desert where it can stand alone, autonomous from any dwellers...
LxGoodies
Ford residence… beautiful !! with these wooden arches.. impressive, it looks like a ship hull
fuzzkaizer
more wooden arches, a rather minimalist ford residence here, but also has it's charm:

π
π
π

the pictures come from Lucas Brown's instagram account:
https://instagram.com/lbdandf/
fuzzkaizer
Once again real ball-houses:
the 'bolwoningen' in Maaspoort, Netherlands!

π

What looks quite sci-fi-creeyp on first sight, might be not that bad in reality -
here's an article about those ball-flats:
https://traveldailypic.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/the-bolwoningen-houses-in-maaspoort-the-netherlands/

"These houses were designed in the 1970s by Dries Kreij Camp. The structure of the little house is quite unusual, since it has the bathroom in the middle of the ball, the living room upstairs and the bedroom downstairs. They are very small, just 5,5meters of diameter and they only count with six round windows. The idea of their design was to offer low maintenance homes, which spend low energy, lightweight and moreover, they can be very easily moved to put together or being transported.
This area is placed in the Maaspoort zone, in the Dutch city of Hertogenbosch."

There's quite a lot of information available if you google 'bolwoningen', looks like there is an active comunity living in them, they have an own wiki to share information on the houses, e.g. plans:

π
deanhills
Here's a portable egg shaped home for travelling ...

It runs on renewable energy. Wonder how the plumbing works though. Razz

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/05/27/ecocapsules_by_nice_architects_are_portable_egg_shaped_microdwellings_that.html

fuzzkaizer
oh, this one we have had already two times before, but this time at least we see a plan of the inside!
deanhills
fuzzkaizer wrote:
oh, this one we have had already two times before, but this time at least we see a plan of the inside!
Right. Wink

Any idea how the plumbing could be connected on the edge of that cliff? Razz
LxGoodies
Probably it's not. Looks as if it gonna roll off that cliff any time ! bet the above egg-shaped mobile home was photoshopped into the landscape Razz

Here's some mobile egg shaped houses of the 30s-50s, these solved housing problems for some of us at that time.. or before my time..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mountseer/albums/72157622213331784

https://somewhere42.wordpress.com/tag/vintage-caravans/page/5/

deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:

OK now that makes much better sense to me, and I'm sure the guy with the caravan won't park it at the edge of a hill. Razz

Here's a nice egg shaped boat home - am sure plumbing won't be a problem:

http://www.lazzarinidesign.net/LivingJet.html
LxGoodies
Owww.. that's a very nice boat Dean ! Reminds me of a trip to Denmark, we hired a (very) small motor boat in Fredrikshavn, to roam around on the Skagerrak shores for a day..

It looked quite similar..

Just found a luxurious egg-shaped tree resort, this one.. Cool I'd love to own a house like this..

Thx @frihost for beng able to host this 442K file..

Origin was pinterest, have fun.. https://www.pinterest.com/sidecar46/odd-unique-shaped-buildings/

Lx
deanhills
Love that tree house as well Lx. Was wondering whether woodpeckers would like it too? One would wake up on morning and a woodpecker be doing its drilling. Very Happy

This could be a nice dream home - floating home/aquarium.

Source: http://dornob.com/futuristic-floating-home-with-underwater-observation-deck/
fuzzkaizer
that egg-caravan is charming, indeed! do not ask which one i would trust more at the edge of a cliff... i could handle the caravan more easy, i think.

and the tree house mixes up eggs with nests...
fuzzkaizer
here an egg-house o even -village cut into halfs and quaters...

π

specifications given:
Fouesnant (Finistère), village-vacances Ty Nod, 1974.
link:

http://rollership.tumblr.com/post/135552891712/retrogeographie-fouesnant-finist%C3%A8re
deanhills
That's a nice village fuzzkaizer. Just wonder where all the cars are parked? Razz
BigGeek
fuzzkaizer wrote:
and here's a variation to the egg-house:
the tsunami ball, a fibre-glass ball capsule construction, which is supposed to be able to hold up to four adult persons. it's not for housing, of course, but eventually to survive a tsunami. here's a picture:
http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/11033516209/japanese-tsunami-survival-ball-goes-on-sale
Doesn't look too comfortable and spacious, too, but that never was it's purpose.

Uh yeah right! So what happens to the little yellow ball when it gets sucked out to sea and sucked down a whirl pool? Not to mention the fact that the debris pile moving with the tsunami in Japan crushed a lot of objects in it's way - not too sure how that ball would hold up to that either!

Ending up in a ball with no way to navigate nor motivate being at the mercy of a Tsunami does not sound like a great idea to me - just sayin'

Plus when I saw the egg house the first thing I thought of was that if the cops found that on the curb in New York it would probably get hauled off to the impound lot and you'd have to pay a fine to get your house back!

Ocalhoun's picture was no longer available but I say go for the mobile house with wheels that you can tow behind your pick up truck, that way you can take your house where ever you go!
fuzzkaizer
deanhills wrote:
That's a nice village fuzzkaizer. Just wonder where all the cars are parked? Razz

on a sunny day like that in the seventies - the folks might well have driven to the nearby shore of the Bretagne, have parked the cars there and have taken a swim in the sea?

Here is the spot on google earth, you can see there even more egg-houses:

www.google.at/maps/place/Village+Vacances+Renouveau+Ty+Nod/@47.854061,-4.0125623,16z/data=
LxGoodies
By far the ugliest egg shaped architecture I found sofar

Happy new year to all of youzzzz eggheads

Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/easter-egg-tower-skyscraper-designer-has-big-fan-plan
deanhills
@LxGoodies

Does look grotesque. Really ugly, and a bit out of proportion with all of the surrounding buildings.

Wishing you a Happy New year as well. Cool
LxGoodies
A quite eggy and mobile house.. these could be put anywhere, e.g. to solve housing problems for Syrian refugees Razz

This is Thai. Thanks @Neth TheJet

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/289074869803729376/

.. who got it from http://www.thainanohouse.com/
fuzzkaizer
also eggy new year, folks!

here is a strange egg house, form a tumblr blog called strange places,
"Módulo comunitario, La Calera de Abajo, Ameca, Jalisco, 2012 - Cooperación Comunitaria"
it says. módulo comunitario - is it a toilet, in the end?

π
fuzzkaizer
here's a building quite fascinating, an 'experimental house' of the italian arquitect,
giuseppe perugini, built in the 1960ies, and fallen in dereliction since the death of perugini in 1995.
part of the building is a concrete sphere with a small spherical stair to enter:

π

π

more information about the ruins can be found here:
http://www.designboom.com/art/oliver-astrologo-giuseppe-perugini-casa-sperimentale-rome-12-15-2015/
fuzzkaizer
next ball-house is not strictly one, rather its a house with a part of the building in shape of a ball on top of it...
the arquitect is called Edoardo Longo, and the house is suposed to be his 'casa bola', further information has to be found in the web, the post i found consists mainly of pictures:
http://rollership.tumblr.com/post/137095219008/catrinastewart-eduardo-longo-in-his-casa-bola

π

π

π

π
fuzzkaizer
yet another dome-house, built by arquitects Paolo Soleri and Mark Mills around 1950 in the desert,
there is an article on the site:
http://www.archdaily.com/359748/the-dome-in-the-desert-by-wendell-burnette
about an article written by Wendell Burnette in the Summer of 1989.
It's quite an entertaining story about that interesting building, containing a several pictures:

π

π

π
fuzzkaizer
and here sort of floating spheres, egg-house-boats, whatever...
informations about them given:
Anthenea, 1992. Architect Jean Michel Ducanelle.
to be found on that blog, without further investigations yet:
http://iconoclantastic.tumblr.com/post/17757941740/anthenea-1992-architect-jean-michel-ducanelle

π

π

π