FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS IN MAKING GAMES

michaelagustin
Hi, I am gathering concepts in molding a beautiful games. would you like to share your creative thoughts? I really appreciate you guys. thanks...
LostOverThere
So you're making a game? What genre is it? Is it 2D or 3D? What is the premise of the game?

We need more info before providing creativity! Smile
michaelagustin
LostOverThere wrote:
So you're making a game? What genre is it? Is it 2D or 3D? What is the premise of the game?

Yes, indeed! hehe! I plan out to make a game in 3D but first I have to step in to 2D, so currently I plan 2D. it would be like logical game. heheh!
LostOverThere
michaelagustin wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

Yes, indeed! hehe! I plan out to make a game in 3D but first I have to step in to 2D, so currently I plan 2D. it would be like logical game. heheh!

What is the gameplay of the 2D game you're making? What engine/language are you working with?
wombatrpgs
You might try looking at this topic as well:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-103078.html
rayxzero
Making games is really hard at first when you did not yet finish some game before. You get boring when the stage of development getting longer than your expected time to finish it.
weableandbob
Instead of diving straight into a big project, it's better to get used to whatever tools you're going to use (Game Maker, XNA, etc.) by doing a few small projects beforehand.
wombatrpgs
Or more accurately, big projects to begin with are not a good idea...
LostOverThere
Also, a word of advice. Imagine the development time. Then triple it. That's how long it will take you to make the game.

Or at least, that seems to be what happens to me. Smile
michaelagustin
It is such a great contribution my friends, thank you for your idea, i have learn things in you....
rayxzero
michaelagustin wrote:
It is such a great contribution my friends, thank you for your idea, i have learn things in you....

You should get some other people to help you which make your game project.
michaelagustin
Thanks once again, about the game engine i will use is Flash, for now, I am studying on how things works. I study hard to get into some real world game. watch out soon for my website. thanks guys!
iman
I've used flash for 5 years now, and I think it's really well suited for making games.
Some notes:
- Your users won't complain much about the loading time (because it's a game, duh), so issues about flash like the file size are usually eliminated when you make games.
- Another thing to note is the presence of several game engines out there, and out of experience, only a few of them stand out. Don't test the new ones if you don't wanna get into serious problems.
- If you want physics, I'd recommend box2d or ragdoll.
- Last but not the least, movieclips are made of awesome. They're really powerful, but don't use them if you can use sprites.

good luck!
engammalsko
I'm also seeking ideas for games x)

I'm making a 2D platform game. And I don't really know what I should have in it. Just some enemies and attacks.

My game is made in game maker. I made it today so there is not so much things to do. I think It will be finished in a month or two Smile

You can play the beta on my site so you get the idea.
Just look at my signature.
rayxzero
engammalsko wrote:

I'm making a 2D platform game. And I don't really know what I should have in it. Just some enemies and attacks.

My game is made in game maker. I made it today so there is not so much things to do. I think It will be finished in a month or two Smile

The game looks good, mouse jumping and collecting cheese. But the mouse kinda look like something Very Happy.
engammalsko
rayxzero wrote:
engammalsko wrote:

The game looks good, mouse jumping and collecting cheese. But the mouse kinda look like something Very Happy.

Haha, thanks. There is a new beta up now Smile But do you have any good ideas how I can improve it?
I am aware of all the glitches. And the enemies in the new beta is ugly as **** xD

But do you know anything I can add on the game? A object, platform, enemy, ability etc. Smile
GAMESMASTER
I've used flash for 5 years now, and I think it's really well suited for making games.
Some notes:
- Your users won't complain much about the loading time (because it's a game, duh), so issues about flash like the file size are usually eliminated when you make games.
- Another thing to note is the presence of several game engines out there, and out of experience, only a few of them stand out. Don't test the new ones if you don't wanna get into serious problems.
- If you want physics, I'd recommend box2d or ragdoll.
- Last but not the least, movieclips are made of awesome. They're really powerful, but don't use them if you can use sprites.

good luck!
emanuel2
michaelagustin wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

So you make something like a puzzle game?
I think some puzzle game with physics is always quite entertaining, so maybe you can look into something like that. A flash game with I really like is "magic pen", its a good example that physics can be really funny in games
evilord
that was an awesome job needed lot of imagination and creativity
rayxzero
Making a turn base game is a good start if you are a beginner in making games.
wombatrpgs
Actually it might be better to start with simple Flash. It's nice to actually see your changes.
rayxzero
wombatrpgs wrote:
Actually it might be better to start with simple Flash. It's nice to actually see your changes.

I agree with this, simple game like plant vs zombies and angry birds are made in flash.
wombatrpgs
I thought Angry Birds was an iPhone app...?
ham65
I never did a game,but i work with 3D about 4 years.
rayxzero
ham65 wrote:

Can you do 3D modelling using MAYA or 3DS max ?
wombatrpgs
ham65 wrote:

Ha, that would make you pretty desirable to anyone making a game in 3D. Speaking of which, I need to try Unity3D sometime... I've heard good things about it.