FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Limit download upload limit of pc on lan

rjraaz
friends i have 3 pcs in my lan i want to set the limit for upload download speed at each pc using through router by the help mac address

please reply with full support not suggestion
william
What router do you have?
rjraaz
william wrote:
What router do you have?

beetel 110TC1
airh3ad
There seems to be a listing or ports according to router model check the model of the router if you can change manually the configurations

But then it all depends on how knowledgable he is in manually changing ports.
Bit abusive of an individual. Can he not limit his bandwidth use ? It is the upload more than the download which saps the network.
As well if you are on a cable broadband connection speeds vary depending on time of day . Peak times are usually after school and evenings when the kids are off school.
You have several options.

1) In most routers you can block addresses by mac address either totally or by time periods.
You can look up and identiify the mac adress of the culprit in various places in the router control panel either in the mac filter area or in the lan status area

2) Perhaps if you are handy you can setup a linux based firewall appliance such as ipcop or smoothwall

3) You can check your useage from the isp either from them or through a customer service interface

print it out
look at the upload segment.
You can then have a proof source to have a chat with this fellow

4) Lastly after the discussion if nothing changes try blocking access to this user temporarily . Compare bandwidth rates before and after.
You can accidentally leave the service off. ( several times ). It is amazing how quickly the person will get the message.
Anyway dont be afraid the router can be reset to factory defaults very simply with a pin.
william
Well, for limiting upload and download speeds, a number of routers do allow you to adjust that. There are really two main ways you can control the speeds, either at the router or with a server. Easiest way is at the router.

I'm not familiar at all with Beetel 110TC1, so I really can't speak specifically for this model, but you
might be able to install custom firmware that will allow you control. DD-WRT is pretty good, but I don't know if it supports your router. It's worth a try.

But before you do that, open up a web browser and type in http://192.168.1.1/ . Look around and see if there are any settings that will allow you to adjust upload/download speeds.
rjraaz
william wrote:
Well, for limiting upload and download speeds, a number of routers do allow you to adjust that. There are really two main ways you can control the speeds, either at the router or with a server. Easiest way is at the router.

I'm not familiar at all with Beetel 110TC1, so I really can't speak specifically for this model, but you
might be able to install custom firmware that will allow you control. DD-WRT is pretty good, but I don't know if it supports your router. It's worth a try.

But before you do that, open up a web browser and type in http://192.168.1.1/ . Look around and see if there are any settings that will allow you to adjust upload/download speeds.

but i need spoon feeding in this matter i cant understand how can i do it.
nam_siddharth
The best solution is Bwmeter. http://www.desksoft.com/BWMeter.htm

It is paid, but you can try it for free for one month.
nam_siddharth
The 2nd best software solution is SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager. But you can set only one rule per computer with this, ie. only upload, only download or combined bandwidth. You cannot define both upload and download speed differently. Although you can create as much rules as you want per PC, but only one of those rules will work per PC.
rjraaz
ok i will try them but i dont think that it router based

i think for controlling network i have to make my system always ON.
william
rjraaz wrote:
william wrote:

OK, well, like I said, I don't have any experience with this router nor the firmware it runs. But start by going to http://192.168.1.1/ . Just check and see if there is any option that lets you control the speeds.

I wonder if the Beetel is just a rebadge of some other router. Would you happen to know if it is?
FunDa
rjraaz wrote:
william wrote:

Nobody need "spoon feeding" Just note down the settings before you change it.

That way, if anything goes wrong, you can change it back. That's how you wil learn.

If you are not able to figure it out from
http://192.168.1.1

(Hint: username is usually admin and password is also admin or password

Then Google for a while, and if nothing works, post a screnshoot of where u got stuck.
rjraaz
william wrote:
rjraaz wrote:
william wrote:

OK, well, like I said, I don't have any experience with this router nor the firmware it runs. But start by going to http://192.168.1.1/ . Just check and see if there is any option that lets you control the speeds.

I wonder if the Beetel is just a rebadge of some other router. Would you happen to know if it is?

i already familiar with this but did not find any direct option to control speeds.

there are some options like QoS filters firewall any many more

please please help me
rjraaz
FunDa wrote:
rjraaz wrote:
william wrote:

Nobody need "spoon feeding" Just note down the settings before you change it.

That way, if anything goes wrong, you can change it back. That's how you wil learn.

If you are not able to figure it out from
http://192.168.1.1

(Hint: username is usually admin and password is also admin or password

Then Google for a while, and if nothing works, post a screnshoot of where u got stuck.

thanks for reply i have already changed my admin passowrd there.

but i am helpless regarding speed control.
nam_siddharth
rjraaz wrote:

Sorry, I missed the point that you need a router based solution. I will also like a router based solution for me.
william
This would be really easy if it was a common router (most Linksys, D-Links, Netgears, etc.). I suppose you could try and see if you can install DD-WRT (here). I don't know if there are any risks involved, though (since it's not on the supported list). It might not be a bad idea to post a question on their forum. Perhaps someone there has the same router.
rjraaz
william wrote:
This would be really easy if it was a common router (most Linksys, D-Links, Netgears, etc.). I suppose you could try and see if you can install DD-WRT (here). I don't know if there are any risks involved, though (since it's not on the supported list). It might not be a bad idea to post a question on their forum. Perhaps someone there has the same router.

oK will try that also and also try to find solution at there forum.
nam_siddharth
rjraaz wrote:

Although these are not router based solutions, but you can install these program on all PCs, set rules and password protect the settings. This way you will not have to keep your computer ON all the day.
rjraaz
nam_siddharth wrote:
rjraaz wrote:

Although these are not router based solutions, but you can install these program on all PCs, set rules and password protect the settings. This way you will not have to keep your computer ON all the day.

But i want that they would not know about this, and will they stop these clients their own.
Fire Boar
In that case you need a dedicated gateway server. A standard router won't cut it, you'll either need a router that has this capability, or an always on computer connected via a modem to the line, acting as a gateway server (including probably DHCP).
rjraaz
Fire Boar wrote:
In that case you need a dedicated gateway server. A standard router won't cut it, you'll either need a router that has this capability, or an always on computer connected via a modem to the line, acting as a gateway server (including probably DHCP).

i have decided to use virtual image of linux based smoothwall.

i required your feedback about my this step will it work for me or not.
rjraaz
airh3ad wrote:

1) In most routers you can block addresses by mac address either totally or by time periods.
You can look up and identiify the mac adress of the culprit in various places in the router control panel either in the mac filter area or in the lan status area

Can you provide configuration details for filtering i have mac addresses of all pcs.