FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Celebrity branded products

standready
I just saw a TV commercial for the "Lebron James kids furniture collection" and yes he was in the commercial. What does a basketball player have to do kids furniture? I can kinda see a "Jacquelyn Smith" clothing line but her bedding and other many things are silly. Many other "celebrities" lend their name to products. Do we, as consumers, get better quality from celebrity branded products? No, just higher price to pay that celebrity. I personally avoid these products.

Another question: Is this just a United States thing or in other parts of the world as well.
medesignz
Its called endorsements. I dont see anything wrong with it personally, because if anything it can possibly take away credibility points from the celebs themselves.
watersoul
standready wrote:
I just saw a TV commercial for the "Lebron James kids furniture collection" and yes he was in the commercial. What does a basketball player have to do kids furniture? I can kinda see a "Jacquelyn Smith" clothing line but her bedding and other many things are silly. Many other "celebrities" lend their name to products. Do we, as consumers, get better quality from celebrity branded products? No, just higher price to pay that celebrity. I personally avoid these products.

Another question: Is this just a United States thing or in other parts of the world as well.

We get the same sillyness here in the UK standready, an easy example is the George Foreman Grills range. When did heavyweight boxing ever provide a qualification for the creation of equipment for cooking meats?! Lol

...I guess it works for the brainwashed masses though so it's probably good business practice to sign up a 'celebrity'.
standready
watersoul wrote:
When did heavyweight boxing ever provide a qualification for the creation of equipment for cooking meats?!

Well that does fit a little since he always talked about eating cheeseburgers when he was a fighter. He has made a fortune off pitching those grills. That product has got to be the most successful use of a celebrity name.
However a George Foreman sewing machine would be totally silly use of his name.
watersoul
standready wrote:
watersoul wrote:
When did heavyweight boxing ever provide a qualification for the creation of equipment for cooking meats?!

Well that does fit a little since he always talked about eating cheeseburgers when he was a fighter. He has made a fortune off pitching those grills. That product has got to be the most successful use of a celebrity name.
However a George Foreman sewing machine would be totally silly use of his name.

That made me laugh! Laughing

Ozzy Osbourne & a butter substitute is quite a silly one as well...
[/youtube]
standready
That is silly! Now, imagine if that was Ozzy branded "butter" instead of just him pitching it.
Ozzy's "I can't believe!". laugh
ChrisCh
What is also quite silly is the Proactiv ads on late-night television, featuring Delta Goodrem and Ashlee Simpson... These people of course only gave their endorsements *after* becoming famous, so I strongly doubt if either of these stars have actually fully tried and tested the product... lol
medesignz
what about the anarchist and sex pistols front man John Lydon doing countrylife butter adverts?
deanhills
I'm not too crazy about endorsements either. Especially with sports as well. It makes sports almost aggressively competitive as very often the incentive is more on making money and taking the soul right out of the sport. Too much cash can also spoil and corrupt sports people.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
I'm not too crazy about endorsements either. Especially with sports as well. It makes sports almost aggressively competitive as very often the incentive is more on making money and taking the soul right out of the sport. Too much cash can also spoil and corrupt sports people.

I've no problem with anyone chasing an extra few quid through endorsing a product, no matter how silly they may make themselve look. As long as the ad is not hateful or whatever, good luck to them.

I don't think the 'soul' of a sport will ever be damaged by money and marketing in their respective top-flights. Every sport has it's grass roots youth and local teams. Just try even imagining a lack of sporting 'soul' at a local pubs 5 a side football (soccer) match, or even my own sons rugby matches at school and his local team.

The top few in any branch of life, will always have the highest financial reward, from business to sports and entertainment. That doesn't damage the passion at the grass roots though, but it does provide the opportunity for a few chuckles from silly celebrity endorsments, including the contributions in this funny topic. Laughing
watersoul
medesignz wrote:
what about the anarchist and sex pistols front man John Lydon doing countrylife butter adverts?

That one really made me laugh, but not because it was a particularly skillful piece of comedy, more because I was wondering how much money he must have blown before he sold himself out?! Shocked
standready
deanhills wrote:

That is what basketball player Michael Jordon's comeLack was all about. Not losing all of his endorsement contracts. They were worth several times more money than his basketball salary. I avoided purchasing any products he pitched. They are simply not worth the my money.
medesignz
do you think that a celebrity endorsement can harm a product rather than help sell it?
standready
medesignz wrote:
do you think that a celebrity endorsement can harm a product rather than help sell it?

In many products, yes. Myself, I want a quality product for a fair price. If a company is paying a celebrity to pitch their product, in the end, you are paying more for the product to cover that added cost.
A furniture company carries "Cindy Crawford" branded furniture. For those who don't know, Cindy Crawford was a model many years ago. Her line of furniture cost more than well established brands and her stuff does not have the quality.
The Air Jordan shoes I received as a gift lasted three months. Don't make a inferior product and try to baffle consumers with a celebrity hype. Use that money to make the product better.
airh3ad
Its a big money so they get that kind of commercials for sure. what now? they earn a lot of money they are very popular that's why the company get those celibrities its a big impact to the people you know that.
medesignz
its all about the almighty /$... when celebrities do things they almost always have their own interests at hand. BUT a lot of them do things for charity because they can, and they use their profile to help promote... Swings and roundabouts really.
Navigator
Do a search for funny japanese commercials featuring prominent A-listers from Hollywood, its hilarious because they won't do that kind of advertising locally.
medesignz
reminds me of the friends episode where joey does a commercial for mens lipstick Very Happy Laughing
standready
Navigator wrote:
Do a search for funny japanese commercials featuring prominent A-listers from Hollywood, its hilarious because they won't do that kind of advertising locally.

I have seen commercials from various other countries that have Hollywood 'A' listers in them. Those 'A' lister don't do those here because they know it will kill their "personal brand".
deanhills
standready wrote:
Navigator wrote:

I have seen commercials from various other countries that have Hollywood 'A' listers in them. Those 'A' lister don't do those here because they know it will kill their "personal brand".
Interesting. I was unaware of this. Is Rolex International, or Swiss?
standready
harjos wrote:
The truth is, however, there is very little that sets these high class beauty brands apart from the alternatives to celebrity makeup brands. If you pick up a little known brand name concealer or eye shadow from your local market, you will not necessarily be opting for a lesser quality product, but you may be saving yourself a lot of money in the process.

I agree. My girlfriend loves the local market brand cosmetics. She says they are better quality for alot less money.
medesignz
standready wrote:

I agree. My girlfriend loves the local market brand cosmetics. She says they are better quality for alot less money.

The local market products cost less than the mass production products? How is it possible, unless the seller is making a huge loss?
iiinvest
I live in South Korea and the consumerism, compared to the US, is not much as so, however, the country is starting to look pretty similar to the states in terms of consumerism. One example is, during the TV shows here they don't cut to commercials ever 10 minutes, they usually show a block of commercials after the show is finished. Watching US TV reminds me of how brainwashed with marketing Americans are.

To talk about the celebrities and promoting products in Korea, yes it happens here. It happens quite often. Actually if I think about it, Koreans tend to use superstars in the same way. Kim Yoonah, the olympic figure skater, promotes washing machines, cameras, cars, etc,. Actors and actresses here are commonly found in makeup promotions, coffee, the list is endless.

This is all to say that Korea is heavily influenced by the West, especially the US, though still different.
standready
iiinvest wrote:
Watching US TV reminds me of how brainwashed with marketing Americans are

Yes, sadly, we are brainwashed everyday by TV and our government.
watersoul
standready wrote:
iiinvest wrote:
Watching US TV reminds me of how brainwashed with marketing Americans are

Yes, sadly, we are brainwashed everyday by TV and our government.
No more than other advanced media rich nations. If we dont have X or Y product then the message is that our lives are lacking or disadvantaged in some way. There seems to be a sizable core group of consumers in every country who will always follow popular culture, and whatever their flat screen tells them to