FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Webdesign Business! ($$$!)

joostvane
Hello everyone

I've recently started my very own (and very small) webhosting company. I bought myself a reseller because I designed (and hosted, with some paid webhosting company) some small local businesses.

Most of my clients don't really know how the internet works. Basicly I do everything for them: I create their domain and account, I design and maintain their website, and arrange all the paperwork. All they have to do is pay me an annual fee.

Because this is a hobby, I don't really ask much money. I'm still small (like 6 clients, soon to be Cool and cheap. I'm not here to advertise my webhosting services, as that wouldn't be very good for Frihost, I'm here to see if there are any other freelance designers/hosters there and what about your prices?

I ask about 60 for a complete design. I photoshop it, I slice it, and I code it. One of the conditions if that they have to keep their website at least 3 years with me. (at 50/year, domain included, and their traffic is minimal)

I'm wondering about the prices of others like me are. Should I ask more money or less? Keep in mind that I do everything for them! I also write the text for their website, take pictures of their company, ... All they have to do is talk to me how they want it. If they need support, they can just call me on the phone. I have a feeling I should ask more, but I still see it as a hobby (I still go to school, and only spend three hours a week in the company, but more if I need to design).

What do you think?
Ghost Rider103
It depends on the client and what they really want. If it's a very small company, charging them a lot would be useless as they would just go elsewhere.

But if it's a large company, they will pay more. Which is why I've stopped looking for very small businesses for my design company.

Can we get a link to your website? I think it will be fine for you to post it, as this isn't really advertisement, and I'd personally like to see your website.

I may put some clients your way for some hosting.
joostvane
I don't really have a website up and running right now, since I know all my 'clients' personally. I'm not 18 yet, so I can't really 'sell' anything on the real market.

I'm turning 18 next year in february and I'm probably gonna start a 'small one-man business'. I got all the things I need. Just need to fill in the papers and I'll be ready to go.

For webhosting itself I charge 12,50 for a .com, and 4,00/month for hosting 1500MB space and 15GB traffic. Hosting is on RAID-1, Directadmin panel, ... The company doesn't really have an uptime promise, but I have had the hosting for about 2 years now and there never was a big downtime, I guess it would be more than 99,5%. (hopefully this doesn't count as advertising :p)

I'm probably gonna lower my prices once I get more costumers, but right now I just can't afford it. Once I get a dedicated and have more space, I'll get more flexibility to arrange everything on my own.

After my exams (still got a week left), I'm going to spend some time to finish my website/ordering system/... I'll keep you posted.
pentangeli
joostvane wrote:

I'm wondering about the prices of others like me are. Should I ask more money or less? Keep in mind that I do everything for them! I also write the text for their website, take pictures of their company, ... All they have to do is talk to me how they want it. If they need support, they can just call me on the phone. I have a feeling I should ask more, but I still see it as a hobby (I still go to school, and only spend three hours a week in the company, but more if I need to design).

What do you think?

I think you're charging way too little, in my opinion. I mean supplying all the content writing the copy and traveling to take your own photographs on their company too? I'd probably have to take a look at the standard of your work to see what you should be charging. I mean no offense but if you're awful then the price will be low, good, reasonable and very good, almost unfordable Smile There's a pretty big gap between good and great price wise. But still, the work you're putting in merits more than you're charging just for your time alone. And forget about 'still being school' they don't need to know that and probably shouldn't as they'll use it as excuse to milk you dry. Your time, to you, should be perhaps more valuable to you than if you weren't in school. Envisage charging around 200 and then vary the mileage based on a critical self assessment of how good you actually are. And I know it's hard. But do it anyway. It'll help you in so many ways. Not just financially. Another thing since you're charging peanuts currently... Don't call a fee with the next client. Say I'll do it and then you can pay me whatever. Sounds risky doesn't it? I bet you they pay you more than you are currently charging. It's an old jedi mind trick I used to employ. People are often afraid to be seen as cheapskates. Even the tight asses will drop you more than 60 bucks, I'm pretty sure. Can't hurt to try it. Peace.
Ghost Rider103
joostvane wrote:
I don't really have a website up and running right now, since I know all my 'clients' personally. I'm not 18 yet, so I can't really 'sell' anything on the real market.

I'm turning 18 next year in february and I'm probably gonna start a 'small one-man business'. I got all the things I need. Just need to fill in the papers and I'll be ready to go.

For webhosting itself I charge 12,50 for a .com, and 4,00/month for hosting 1500MB space and 15GB traffic. Hosting is on RAID-1, Directadmin panel, ... The company doesn't really have an uptime promise, but I have had the hosting for about 2 years now and there never was a big downtime, I guess it would be more than 99,5%. (hopefully this doesn't count as advertising :p)

I'm probably gonna lower my prices once I get more costumers, but right now I just can't afford it. Once I get a dedicated and have more space, I'll get more flexibility to arrange everything on my own.

After my exams (still got a week left), I'm going to spend some time to finish my website/ordering system/... I'll keep you posted.

You're fine selling things on the web, you just can't legally sign a contract.

I think you should set up a website, even if it's just a portfolio, as you will need to show your clients some previous work, and a personal website I think is the best way to go about it.

Though I guess the contract singing would depend on where you live. But either way, you will be fine selling anything online as long as you are not singing any contracts.
joostvane
pentangeli wrote:
Say I'll do it and then you can pay me whatever. Sounds risky doesn't it? I bet you they pay you more than you are currently charging. It's an old jedi mind trick I used to employ. People are often afraid to be seen as cheapskates. Even the tight asses will drop you more than 60 bucks, I'm pretty sure. Can't hurt to try it. Peace.

It does sound risky, but I'll give it a try next time. Thanks for the advice.

My designing is pretty low-standard. Just very small websites for costumers with simple expectations, some of them are even satisfied with a free template that I change a bit to their liking. Colors, delete a bar there, put something there, ... They are just small business that are looking for a website to put up their address, contact info, ... In the end you don't really see the link to the template anymore, but it saves a lot of time. For some works that need designing I can't do on my own, I work toghever with someone from my school who is a genius at photoshop. I'll post some of my next works.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
You're fine selling things on the web, you just can't legally sign a contract.

Are you sure about that? I never got economics in my classes (I did Latin and then science, 0 economics :p), so I don't really know much about the legal stuff.

I think someone told me "it was necessary to be officially registered to be on the market". I live in Belgium.