FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to choose the right PHP Framework for web development?

mario2027
Hi!

I'm a PHP Pro, but haven't use any PHP framework till now, so I have no clue on
how to choose a PHP framework. Do you have some tips to help me choose the/a right PHP Framework?

I want a stable and secure PHP framework for Projects with about 400 hours development time.
It should be possible to use the framework on Shared-Hosting-Webservers.
I don't need some AJAX support (I'm using extJS).
It would be nice if the framework supports Rapid Application Development
and object-relational mapping.

Also some of the standard-functions (Authentification, form validation) would
be nice. Caching would be a usefull, but isn't needed.

Needs for a PHP framework:
- Shared-Hosting-Webserver-Support
- for Projects between 200 und 400 hours work
- Developing Modell "Rapid Application Development" supported
- object-relational mapping supported
If possible:
- Caching
- Already finished Modules (e.g. Authentification, form validation, ..)
- Easy to learn

Which PHP framework is the right one I am seeking for?

thx
Wallace
Fire Boar
Sounds like Symfony has everything you want there - I'd recommend it, it's pretty easy to get to grips with and does all the boring work for you. Features include:

- Model/Controller/View separation.
- Object-relational mapping via Propel or Doctrine.
- Automatic generation of models, forms and pages. These are then completely customizable.
- The admin generator deserves a special mention - it makes it really easy to generate consistent backends just using configuration files and stylesheets. What you can make with it then becomes practically unlimited if you also create your own custom generator skeleton (e.g. I recently created something similar to Drupal's drag tables).
- Fully object-oriented, and follows many XP principles such as "don't repeat yourself".
- Powerful command-line tools, and the capability to easily write your own command-line scripts.
- Good testing framework, supporting unit tests and functional tests.
- A strong set of form validators. With symfony forms, all input is sanitized so SQL injections aren't possible, and validators ensure that the input really is sound.

I'd also recommend dropping in sfGuardPlugin. It saves you from having to re-invent the wheel for authentication.
badai
hah! form extjs to php framework.

see my thread here

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-121347.html

maybe mod can combine my thread with this thread.

i've tried (play with, no real work) several. most of php framewrok works with this Model-View-Controller stuff, which i can't really use. sure if you follow real SDLC, once you've finished design and start coding, you already have a solid flow and design. sadly in real world, these are not the case. during internal testing itself, client will poke around and notice their mistake in giving requirement and unashamedly ask us to change, so this Model-View-Controller way doesn't really work. have to stick with javascript framework for now.
mrjw
It will depend on youe site that provide what kind of service ,
Small group service easy coding =========codenigtieor
Mid size Or big ================Zend
Fire Boar
badai wrote:
i've tried (play with, no real work) several. most of php framewrok works with this Model-View-Controller stuff, which i can't really use. sure if you follow real SDLC, once you've finished design and start coding, you already have a solid flow and design. sadly in real world, these are not the case. during internal testing itself, client will poke around and notice their mistake in giving requirement and unashamedly ask us to change, so this Model-View-Controller way doesn't really work. have to stick with javascript framework for now.

Wait, what? The client asking for change... that's absolutely fine. In fact, it's one of the big reasons to use MVC: because code is very loosely coupled you can easily change parts without breaking the entire application. Javascript has nothing to do with the web application, only certain interface parts.

If MVC for you is making changes difficult, you're Doing It Wrong.