FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

christmas Greetings

Hemingway
Hi,
I want to say everyone Marry Christmas Lets countdown the days Left 20 Days 476 Hours and 28387 Minutes Left in Big day
standready
Hemingway wrote:
20 Days 476 Hours and 28387 Minutes Left

My goodness, that is a lot of minutes!
Tick, tick.
Bluedoll
Merry Christmas
not sure I want to calculate the minutes just yet though
deanhills
Merry Xmas too. The trimmings in shop windows were mostly UAE celebrations for the last few days, but I've begun to notice the odd Xmas ones. I'm sure by this next weekend we will see more of those, although relative to Western countries, much less trimmings. Also, Xmas day is not a holiday, though this year of course it will be on a Saturday.
LittleBlackKitten
Merry Christmas! Happy Birthday, Jesus!
watersoul
Merry Christmas for the 25th Hemingway, but Happy Solstice for the 21st as well, the return of longer daylight hours has got to be worth a celebration by all of us in the Northern Hemisphere this month Smile
Asap170
What the heck I need points and so might as well do it!

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!!

Countdown: 19 Days -> 456 hours -> 27360 minutes-> 1641600 seconds
omale55
Hi Frihosters,

I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Have lots of fun.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Merry Christmas for the 25th Hemingway, but Happy Solstice for the 21st as well, the return of longer daylight hours has got to be worth a celebration by all of us in the Northern Hemisphere this month Smile
I'd forgotten (I always seem to be doing that) about Solstice, and it is very meaningful for me too. Would be great to be looking forward to longer days. So yes, Happy Solistice on the 21st as well. Smile
Ghost900
Merry Christmas to all you FriHosters. (If you don't celebrate Christmas then enjoy your holiday just the same.)

eBay has been doing a countdown since well before Thanksgiving. 18 Days left.

It will definitely be nice to start getting longer days, I don't like the darkness around 4:00 or so that seems to be the case right now.
menino
Merry Christmas to you all as well.
May this blessed season bring you and your family joy and happiness throughout.

Happy Honukah to the Jews as well.... I think its about this time.

Happy New Hijri new year (Muharram) to the Muslims.

Belated Diwali greetings to the Hindus.

And Happy Holidays to everyone.
Insanity
It doesn't seem to come fast enough each year... just waiting until I can get off work for the winter. It's a much needed break before the long stretch into the summer.
Ghost Rider103
We are closer to Christmas than I thought. This time of year always seems to go by very quick for me.

Anyways, here's a little Christmas tree I designed to show some Christmas spirit!

Hope you all like it.
deanhills
It's awesome Ghostrider! Very original, and I love the colours. A welcome change from the usual bright red and green!
Afaceinthematrix
Every year it seems that this useless topic comes sooner and sooner just so that the original poster can have the satisfaction of being the first person to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." Next year I'm going to post this in July - just so that no one else gets to say it first and I can have the worthiness of being the author of such a useless and discussion-provoking topic.
watersoul
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Every year it seems that this useless topic comes sooner and sooner just so that the original poster can have the satisfaction of being the first person to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." Next year I'm going to post this in July - just so that no one else gets to say it first and I can have the worthiness of being the author of such a useless and discussion-provoking topic.

Lol, just run with it man, it's time off work/study whatever the celebration is called! Smile
standready
@Ghost Rider103: Very nice design!

To all Frihoststers, Happy Holidays!

@Afaceinthematrix: "Christmas in July"! Retailers got to it first! laugh
Afaceinthematrix
watersoul wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Lol, just run with it man, it's time off work/study whatever the celebration is called! :)

I'm just annoyed because of this and then crap like this:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-121419.html

In that one, someone makes a "Happy New Years" topic 24 days before the new year! What the hell? The only reason people do that is because they want to feel the importance of starting the topic over everyone else and so they make these posts ridiculously early. It's almost like "Who will make this post first!?" So next year I'm going to make a "Happy Holidays" post at least six months in advance. This will ensure that I am absolutely the first one here to say it and I will be the almighty important one that started this useless and meaningless post that won't actually start any conversation. If it was up to me, posts like this would be against the rules (actually, isn't there a guide to making quality posts? This would fail that).

I have nothing against people wishing other people a happy holiday or people enjoying the holiday, but making it this early is just ridiculous - especially when it serves no purpose except that some people want to feel special by being the one to start the topic.
Ghost Rider103
Saying someone makes the topic 20 days before Christmas just to start the thread before everyone else is ignorant.

I see no problem with this thread, as once it hits December, it's like the entire month is Christmas to me, because of all the work involved like putting up lights, shopping, planning, etc.

Early in December, a lot of towns put up decorations around street lights, across main st. etc. and even ones that say "Merry Christmas." Is starting a thread any different from that?

If someone makes a thread a few months before Christmas saying Merry Christmas, it will surely be locked (and I believe has happed before if I remember correctly).

Lets halt the personal rants from here. If you disagree with the thread, report it and the staff will take your report into consideration. Ranting about it in the thread won't get you anywhere.

Back on topic please. Smile
sudipbanerjee
25th December is the birthday of Jesus. So why don't everybody say happy birthday to him?
Oh! I am just joking. Merry Christmas to each and everyone of this site.
deanhills
Talking about Xmas lights. Wish I could be in Calgary in Canada during Xmas. As the contrast of white snow with the decorations are great at night time. People usually take a lot of trouble with putting all of the lights up and so when one goes to the suburban areas it always looks very festive and decorative.
chatrack
Hi,

Merry Christmas to all my friends
mpeter
Christmas gift suggestions:
To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect.
spring567
Marry Christmas.
Bluedoll
mpeter wrote:
Christmas gift suggestions:
To your enemy, forgiveness.
To an opponent, tolerance.
To a friend, your heart.
To a customer, service.
To all, charity.
To every child, a good example.
To yourself, respect.
Hummm I like that one. Very Happy
well maybe everything except service, its an exchange not a gift?
but ok too.
deanhills
Today is "Sunday" in Dubai, and I thought to visit Dubai Mall, and was AMAZED at all the Xmas trimmings. There is an ENORMOUS Xmas tree inside the mall that is four stories high with the most stunning lighting. And then everywhere I went were Xmas trees and Xmas trimmings but all very tastefully done. So was thinking of all of those who are freezing in North America and Europe. If you would like a warmer Xmas, why not jump on the plane for Xmas shopping in Dubai. There are some great deals for accommodation in Dubai. The weather is fantastic. Not too hot, nor too cold. Goldilocks weather Smile
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Today is "Sunday" in Dubai, and I thought to visit Dubai Mall, and was AMAZED at all the Xmas trimmings. There is an ENORMOUS Xmas tree inside the mall that is four stories high with the most stunning lighting. And then everywhere I went were Xmas trees and Xmas trimmings but all very tastefully done. So was thinking of all of those who are freezing in North America and Europe. If you would like a warmer Xmas, why not jump on the plane for Xmas shopping in Dubai. There are some great deals for accommodation in Dubai. The weather is fantastic. Not too hot, nor too cold. Goldilocks weather Smile

Cool invite Dean but this time of year is supposed to be cold in my mind. I've spent a few Decembers in hot places and even celebrated the 25th at a dance party on an island in the Mekong river once...it still didn't seem right though!

Maybe too many years of association with cold=winter in my mind I guess, even had our first snow today here and snowball fights are definitely the way forward for Christmas time Smile
Vrythramax
I'd like to wish EVERYONE a HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON no matter what holiday you observe at this time of year!!

@Afaceinthematrix

Try to lighten up my friend, many people are caught up in the holiday seasons and they may happen to start celebrating them a little early. We can't fault everyone for poor topic choices no matter how hard we may try. Please try to accept those whose endorsement on the holidays may exceed our own. Smile
gmcgrath
Joy was on Christ,
Love was on mas,
so let all of this found u anywhere u are this lovely season.
merry x mas and happy new year
deanhills
Looks as though Xmas has found its way to the compound I am living in as well here in the Middle East. This year is going to be a good one for Xmas here. Two Xmas trees no less in the small little mall and supermarket around the corner and I've noticed all of my neighbours working on Xmas decorations. I was eyeing a funny Father Xmas in non-traditional brown colours at the toy shop. I should take a photo of it. Rupert the Reindeer is also non-traditional in similar colours. Both have very heavy lead feet, so they can stand outside probably and not blow away. I really like the idea of moving away from the bright green and red colours. Even our Human Resources Manager has a Xmas tree pinned to his board, something that he may not have been bold to have done even a year ago. Not that it would not have been allowed, but out of worries that it may have offended anyone. Nice to see that there is so much tolerance around, and the other way round. As it should be this time of the year.
Aredon
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Merry Christmas! Happy Birthday, Jesus!
Jesus wasn't born in December Very Happy

Happy Saturnalia everyone Cool
menino
Christmas season is already here, so Seasons Greetings everyone, who is celebrating..... and happy holidays.... Laughing
the-guide

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year To all fellow Frihosters,

Wishing you have the best Christmas and Holiday and everything very special.
Wishing your Christmas be alight with memories and your home filled with love.
Wishing you and your home peace, joy, and love - today, tomorrow, and forever.
Wishing the holidays make your dreams come true and the love you share throughout the year return a hundred-fold to you.

May your days be merry and your heart be light.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

deanhills
I thought this was a little bit over the top, a 11-million dollar Xmas Tree in the Emirates Palace Hotel of Abu Dhabi. The Hotel loaned 11-million dollar worth of jewelry to decorate its tree. I still think the tree I saw in the Dubai Mall was much nicer than the one at Emirates Palace Hotel. One can hardly see the jewelry in the Emirates Palace Hotel for all the cost and trouble:
Cliffer
Marry Christmas and Happy new year!
LittleBlackKitten
I take exception to calling Christmas "Xmas". It is very offensive to Christianity and the purpose of the season entirely, whether you're a Christian or not. Can we try and keep it real, here, and try to call it "Christmas"? Xmas is lazy and offensive. I would not go around saying Happy hnkk.
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I take exception to calling Christmas "Xmas". It is very offensive to Christianity and the purpose of the season entirely

One persons purpose to a season may be quite different to anothers. Some people may be offended by 'Xmas' but others will not.
If the term was used without offensive intent then perhaps it could be taken as such?
LittleBlackKitten
So by that logic I could call a black person the N bomb if I didn't INTEND for it to be offensive? Poor logic there...
watersoul
Not really, being born into a race is quite different to accepting a religious faith, and any further discussion would warrant a separate thread of it's own.

That said, this is really off topic so I'll leave it alone before a mod has to waste time editing the thread back on track.
Bikerman
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I take exception to calling Christmas "Xmas". It is very offensive to Christianity and the purpose of the season entirely, whether you're a Christian or not. Can we try and keep it real, here, and try to call it "Christmas"? Xmas is lazy and offensive. I would not go around saying Happy hnkk.
Errr...a little bit of double standards here.
If I'm not a Christian but, instead, a follower of Mithraism or a Neo-Pagan, then calling it Christmas is offensive because the festival has nothing to do with Christianity and everything to do with the ancient feast signifying rebirth. Christianity stole the date, and the main festival idea, from earlier Pagan religion. It is a bit rich to now demand that everyone should forget the origin of the feast and start calling it Christmas, just to avoid offending the usurpers.
I'll stick to either 'season's greetings', or 'Happy Yule' or 'Yuletide greetings'.

It's about time we got back to the REAL meaning of this festival/feast and the REAL purpose of the season, whether you are Christian or not. All this mucking about with crosses and Midnight Masses turns the whole thing into a travesty.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I don't agree LittleBlackKitten. There is nothing wrong with the abbreviation. It has been around for hundreds of years:
Quote:
The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ. The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧, is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and the OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" as early as 1485. The terms "Xpian" and "Xtian" have also been used for "Christian". The dictionary further cites usage of "Xtianity" for "Christianity" from 1634. According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, most of the evidence for these words comes from "educated Englishmen who knew their Greek".

In ancient Christian art, χ and χρ are abbreviations for Christ's name. In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, X is an abbreviation for Christos, as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma); compare IC for Jesus in Greek.

Quote:
The labarum, often called the Chi-Rho, is a Christian symbol representing Christ.
Source: Wikipedia
dfrancis
He
who
has
not
Christmas
in
his
heart
will
never
find
it
under
a
tree.
nachi
Hi ,

I am new to this forum, Advanced happy Xmas to All.

Nachi
Vrythramax
I'll second this sentiment...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!
mukesh
Same to you guys Very Happy
fladry
Happy christmas and happy holiday to you all... Very Happy
adri
Happy holidays everyone. Smile

adri
standready
Happy Holidays all
ocalhoun

Merged duplicate topic into this one.
mazito
Happy holidays for the frihost comunity
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

Merged duplicate topic into this one.
Thanks Ocalhoun. Glad to see that we still may have a Merry Christmas, so Merry Christmas to all those who are celebrating Christmas and Happy Holidays to all those who prefer Happy Holidays. Very Happy
standready
I thought I would share pictures of my first "white" Christmas in a very long time here with everybody. Plus a little fresh snow overnight added to the peacefulness.

Happy Holidays!
deanhills
Great photos Standready and it does look peaceful, the trees are lovely. I don't see any other human beings, just the way I like it! Must be very cold, or lunch time? How cold is it there ..... Shocked Smile
standready
deanhills wrote:
Great photos Standready and it does look peaceful, the trees are lovely. I don't see any other human beings, just the way I like it! Must be very cold, or lunch time? How cold is it there ..... Shocked Smile

Thank you, Dean.
Pictures were taken around 8am local time so most people were probably having breakfast or opening presents. One other person was out clearing his drive before his kids came for the day. Temperature was around 28 degrees F.
watersoul
Nice one for sharing the pics Standready, I'm well jealous and it looks lovely there!
cjohnson
Wish you happy and coldest Christmas ever I had.
Jackson999
Hello Wishes you Coldest Winter and Christmas Smile
Paul999
I love Winter just because of Christmas.
Nicolebok1
Happy lovely Christmas to all USA and the world.
littlefairy
There’s nothing sadder in the world
than to awake Christmas morning
and not be a child.
annewalker27
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
We are closer to Christmas than I thought. This time of year always seems to go by very quick for me.

Anyways, here's a little Christmas tree I designed to show some Christmas spirit!

Hope you all like it.

I love this! Merry Christmas to you..
annewalker27
47 days to go before Christmas, so let me greet all of you a very merry Christmas!
deanhills
Ahhh well, may just as well enjoy this thread ....

chatrack
Advance Merry Christmas to ALL
stacyjose
Thanks and me also wish to everyone Marry Christmas. Enjoy the celebration ...