FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Changing File and Folder Permissions on Local Computer

Possum
Hi

I know how to change File and Folder Permissions on remote Computer. In fileZilla just right click the file or folder and change the file permission.

for example

In Direct Admin select the file or folder and change permissions at the bottom of the page.

But I how can I do this on my local computer? (Windows 7 and XP)

Thank you...
rjraaz
Possum wrote:
Hi

I know how to change File and Folder Permissions on remote Computer. In fileZilla just right click the file or folder and change the file permission.

for example

In Direct Admin select the file or folder and change permissions at the bottom of the page.

Thank you...

i hope following link will help in this regard.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
Fire Boar
One thing to note - Windows permissions are vastly different from Unix/Linux permissions. On Unix-based systems (basically everything except Windows), the basic thing is three numbers: the first represents the user, the second the group, and the third the world. In addition, 1 = execute, 2 = write, 4 = read. So to give the owner read/write permission, the owner's group read permission and deny access to everyone else, 640 (6/readwrite = 4/read + 2/write).

Windows is (as usual) far more complicated for no good reason. You have a bunch of users and about 60 different permissions - I haven't checked but the KB article linked by rjraaz should be the right sort of thing. However, if as I suspect you are running a local apache server through WAMP or something, the user running it will be you, so you won't need to enable write permissions for the web server - you already have them.
Possum
Thx rjraaz & Fire Boar

There is enough info here to see me right cheers..

My system is Windows. I have managed to get the files working. Believe it or not I uploaded them to my Frihost server and changed permission there. And downloaded them. Not the best, but it worked.

The web App I installed still did'nt work though. Although phpBB did. I really need to get a Linux box up and running.

thank you
FunDa
Hehe .. that is a nice work-around you used.

But you can set up a mini server in your own Windows computer with php and SQL.

I used XAMPP to do all my php testing offline(on my ancient desktop) before uplaoding to the site.

Just try xampp-lite if you just want to test. XAMP is a full fledged server and can be used if you want to host the site on a computer.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

You can also edit yous HOSTS file to make your domain name to point to your offline server.
That way all the links would work perfectly even if they are absolute links.

It's all pretty easy, just Google if you need more help.

Smile
Possum
Hey FunDa

Ive got WAMP.

XAMPP looks interesting.

I really need to get a proper Linux box going. So I can leave some of these Windows problems behind.
FunDa
Of course. A Linux box is always useful. When you want something to stand reliably, windows doesn't quite cut it.
Good luck with ur work.
keyman
You could try VirtualBox and have a Linux server on your Windows desktop. Running Ubuntu server edition in command-line only mode, for example, probably won't take up more than 256 mb of your PC's RAM.
Possum
I really need a Linux solution.

I'm looking at this little computer

http://www.slashgear.com/marvell-sheevaplug-99-linux-pc-hidden-in-a-wall-wart-2435556/
FunDa
That is taking things to the extreme man. Laughing Where is the computer ? That is only as big as a regular old wall ac adaptor.
Possum
Its a real computer. You use your browser to access it thru your network. Runs Linux (you chose which flavor)

By having this computer I can solve Changing File and Folder Permissions on Local Computer problem too. Which is really a Windows problem.
keyman
How about some info on that little box? How much RAM can it take? Processor speed? Nice little toy, I'm sure it's not cheap but if you have money to burn than what the heck!

Virtualization software like VirtualBox is free, and the system installed in it can network with the host operating system--I would spend the money on maxxing out the RAM on your PC so you can allocate a good amount to the guest system.
keyman
OOPS, I didn't see the link at the bottom of your post Embarassed Embarassed
FunDa
Part of the article, for people who do not want to browse to the page.

$99. may drop down upto $49. Which is pretty nice.

Quote:
Eventually, prices are expected to drop to around $49. Among the first products to hit the market based on the Sheeva plug-computer design will be the Pogoplug, which so impressed us back at CES 2009. The Pogoplug is designed to simply take a USB hard-drive and turn it into network attached storage, accessible not only from the home network but through a web-based portal. It’s expected to cost around $99 when it launches in a few months time, but preorders are being taken at just $79.

Meanwhile expect the SheevaPlug to find plenty of new fans among the open-source community; it’ll play nicely with “multiple standard Linux 2.6 kernel distributions”. Its eco-credentials are good, too, with Marvell claiming it uses less than one tenth of the power of a typical PC being used as a home serve
mugundhan
Possum wrote:
Hi

for example

Thank you...

icalcs you can edit the ownership of file using this its avaiable in vista or win7 only