FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod as a storage device

Tony The Tiger
Is an iPod as good as an external hard drive or are there severe limitations on the file types that one can store on an iPod when using it as a storage device. Also how do read/write speeds compare over the iPod USB connector cable as compared to a normal external hard drive USB cable and compared to a thumb drive that connects directly without any cabling?
weableandbob
I believe that an iPod can act as a regular flash drive if you enable it to do so in iTunes (or possibly even without that). As for read/write speeds, I'm not sure of what the difference would be.
william
If I'm not mistaken, you can't actually use an iPod Touch as an external hard drive out of the box, unlike a good majority of other music players. (Thanks, Apple Rolling Eyes ). Now that is, of course, unless they changed something in the current generation one that I'm not aware of, but previous ones you definitely couldn't.

But then, there is a way around this: jailbreaking. Cydia has a couple of applications what will allow you to use it as an external drive. The App store itself also does, but I think they require clients that you have to install on your computer, which is annoying.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, you can't actually use an iPod Touch as an external hard drive out of the box, unlike a good majority of other music players. (Thanks, Apple Rolling Eyes ).

I should have been clear that I am talking about 160GB iPod Classic models.
Tony The Tiger
weableandbob wrote:
I believe that an iPod can act as a regular flash drive if you enable it to do so in iTunes (or possibly even without that). As for read/write speeds, I'm not sure of what the difference would be.

What do you mean by enable it to do so. Suppose I hook it up to a machine which does not have iTunes installed on it. It will recognize an external device without any software to tell it what to do. Will it default to use as an external hard drive. (I am talking about a 160GB iPod Classic model)
debjitbiswas
Hey tou can use any thing i pod or memory stick as data storage it is a good idea when you need something very urgent and see nothing you have got.
then just we can use our memory chip or ipad. ipod.
but it is not a good idea to use it as like this.
its cost more than a pen drive or flash drive.
Thanks friend.
william
Oh, if you're talking about the 160 GB iPod Classic, then this should answer all of your questions.
pll
I think it can be only done if the ipod is jailbroken.
Tony The Tiger
pll wrote:
I think it can be only done if the ipod is jailbroken.

What do you mean by the term jailbroken? I have never heard the term used in relation to technology before.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Oh, if you're talking about the 160 GB iPod Classic, then this should answer all of your questions.

Thanks. That explains the situation where iTunes is installed. What about the situation where it is not installed?
Tony The Tiger
debjitbiswas wrote:
Hey tou can use any thing i pod or memory stick as data storage it is a good idea when you need something very urgent and see nothing you have got.
Thanks friend.

I am really trying to figure out what to do if my iPod breaks down and will not play music. I am wondering if it might still be a usable external hard drive.
FunDa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
debjitbiswas wrote:
Thanks friend.

I am really trying to figure out what to do if my iPod breaks down and will not play music. I am wondering if it might still be a usable external hard drive.

If your iPod breaks down and does not play music, install Linux on it !!!!

Laughing

Quote:
So you want the most out of your iPod? In fact if you really think of it, your iPod is like a mini-computer. It has a hard drive, a screen, a soundcard and somewhat of a keyboard and mouse. It's just that your mini-computer is programmed to only play music.

How about if I told you, you could actually play games, have software, watch videos (even on iPod's that aren't video capable by default) and do almost everything you can with a computer.

Well it is possible if you install Linux on your iPod. Plus, you'll even have the choice of having your iPod in it's original version or to load your iPod with linux on it.

What is Linux? Linux is an operating system, just like Windows and Mac OS X. It is what let's you interact with your computer and do what you want with it. Linux is actually widely used on webservers around the world. Chances are this website is hosted on a Linux server. It is known to be very stable and not bug at all.

In all cases, if you want to install this baby on your iPod, it will permit you to do alot of stuff that you didn't know possible with your iPod. If you want to install it is pretty easy.

First, set your iPod to be seen as a hard drive. Which is easily accomplished, just read my last article on my blog (link at bottom).

Next, download the installer on the ipodlinux website. I recommend reading the documentation, but it's pretty straight forward. You plug-in your iPod, run the installer, and voilà, you've got iPodLinux working!

Note, if your iPod doesn't seem to work well after the install, you can always recover it. I don't want to be held responsible if you mess your file system up when you put your iPod as a drive though, so do this at your own risk. Although I did it on mine and everything went great.

Seriously, you should try it out sometime, even if your iPod is not broken down yet.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-iPod-Linux-on-a-4G-or-Nano-using-Windows-and-the-Johnny-West-Installer

Sourceforge link to one installer :
http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

Like someone said :

Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
Tony The Tiger
Quote:
So you want the most out of your iPod? In fact if you really think of it, your iPod is like a mini-computer. It has a hard drive, a screen, a soundcard and somewhat of a keyboard and mouse. It's just that your mini-computer is programmed to only play music.

How about if I told you, you could actually play games, have software, watch videos (even on iPod's that aren't video capable by default) and do almost everything you can with a computer.

Well it is possible if you install Linux on your iPod. Plus, you'll even have the choice of having your iPod in it's original version or to load your iPod with linux on it.

What is Linux? Linux is an operating system, just like Windows and Mac OS X. It is what let's you interact with your computer and do what you want with it. Linux is actually widely used on webservers around the world. Chances are this website is hosted on a Linux server. It is known to be very stable and not bug at all.

In all cases, if you want to install this baby on your iPod, it will permit you to do alot of stuff that you didn't know possible with your iPod. If you want to install it is pretty easy.

First, set your iPod to be seen as a hard drive. Which is easily accomplished, just read my last article on my blog (link at bottom).

Next, download the installer on the ipodlinux website. I recommend reading the documentation, but it's pretty straight forward. You plug-in your iPod, run the installer, and voilà, you've got iPodLinux working!

Note, if your iPod doesn't seem to work well after the install, you can always recover it. I don't want to be held responsible if you mess your file system up when you put your iPod as a drive though, so do this at your own risk. Although I did it on mine and everything went great.

If I reformat my iPod as a linux-enabled hard drive, what can I do with it. It does not have a keyboard. I am almost always using it as an external hard drive to my Windows 7-based laptop or as a regular music-playing iPod (almost always the latter). Is there a way to reformat it so that it really will be able to operate as a standalone mini-computer? This would be a notable thing to do. However since the classic does not have touch screen technology, I think the possibilities are limited for this keyboardless device.
FunDa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Quote:

If I reformat my iPod as a linux-enabled hard drive, what can I do with it. It does not have a keyboard. I am almost always using it as an external hard drive to my Windows 7-based laptop or as a regular music-playing iPod (almost always the latter). Is there a way to reformat it so that it really will be able to operate as a standalone mini-computer? This would be a notable thing to do. However since the classic does not have touch screen technology, I think the possibilities are limited for this keyboardless device.

Possibilities are limited, but you can still use linux to play mp3/ogg/wav/ other audio formats, install and play basic games with the iPod controller.

Another thing you can install is RockBox if you just want just an improved music player.
It is customised for mp3 players like iPod so that will be more appropriate.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginIndex

Quote:
Rockbox is a free software replacement for the firmware held on various forms of digital audio players (DAPs). Rockbox offers an alternative to the host device's operating system firmware (in many cases without removing the original firmware) which provides a plug-in architecture for adding various enhancements and functionality to DAPs which are not present in the original OS. Enhancements include PDA functionality, applications, utilities, and games. Rockbox can also retrofit video playback functionality onto DAPs first released in mid-2000. Rockbox also includes a voice-driven user-interface suitable for operation by blind and visually impaired users.
Rockbox runs on a wide variety of portable audio devices with very different hardware abilities: from early Archos players with 1-bit character cell-based displays to modern players with high resolution color displays, digital optical audio hardware and advanced recording capabilities.
Rockbox is free software released under the GNU General Public License.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-iPod-Linux-on-a-4G-or-Nano-using-Windows-and-the-Johnny-West-Installer

Sourceforge link to one installer :
http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

Have a look at some of these videos to see what it can do:

Try it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ABhW7lYA8
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Another thing you can install is RockBox if you just want just an improved music player.
It is customised for mp3 players like iPod so that will be more appropriate.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginIndex

Quote:
Rockbox is a free software replacement for the firmware held on various forms of digital audio players (DAPs). Rockbox offers an alternative to the host device's operating system firmware (in many cases without removing the original firmware) which provides a plug-in architecture for adding various enhancements and functionality to DAPs which are not present in the original OS. Enhancements include PDA functionality, applications, utilities, and games. Rockbox can also retrofit video playback functionality onto DAPs first released in mid-2000. Rockbox also includes a voice-driven user-interface suitable for operation by blind and visually impaired users.
Rockbox runs on a wide variety of portable audio devices with very different hardware abilities: from early Archos players with 1-bit character cell-based displays to modern players with high resolution color displays, digital optical audio hardware and advanced recording capabilities.
Rockbox is free software released under the GNU General Public License.

I have yet to look at all the videos you have posted, but will a Rockbox conversion continue to allow hard drive usage of the device? Also, if I install Rockbox, does it devoid any warranty that I may have?

Also, does the platform have to be the same as those of my laptops? I have a Windows 7 laptop and a Windows XP backup. Can I install Linux on my iPod and then synch it to iTunes on my Windows 7 laptop?
FunDa
Yes, you can continue to use as a "hard drive" (as a USB mass storage device), that is not a problem.

But I think the warranty will be void the moment you install dropbox or Linux.

But I suppose that if anything goes wrong, you can use iTunes to restore the iPod back to default OS. And if there is a problem after that, take it to the service center and don't mention that you installed Rockbox or Linux on it. Just state what the problem is, and when they check, the OS is still iPod's OS.
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
think the warranty will be void the moment you install dropbox or Linux.

But I suppose that if anything goes wrong, you can use iTunes to restore the iPod back to default OS. And if there is a problem after that, take it to the service center and don't mention that you installed Rockbox or Linux on it. Just state what the problem is, and when they check, the OS is still iPod's OS.

I have two 160 GB classics. I have one from the old thicker generation. The older one is no longer under warranty so I can experiment with that one. The question that I now have is whether I need the Rockbox OS to be the same as the laptop that I will be synching it to. My primary laptop uses Windows 7. Can I put Linux Rockbox on my iPod and still communicate between the two?
debjitbiswas
Well hey there i can use ipod like this never imagine .
FunDa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
FunDa wrote:

I have two 160 GB classics. I have one from the old thicker generation. The older one is no longer under warranty so I can experiment with that one. The question that I now have is whether I need the Rockbox OS to be the same as the laptop that I will be synching it to. My primary laptop uses Windows 7. Can I put Linux Rockbox on my iPod and still communicate between the two?

Of course ! The OS on your computer us not related to this at all.

Even the default OS on the iPod is completely different from the computer you connect to sync songs to it.

You can use it like a regular iPod when syncing songs to it.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodFAQ#Will_iTunes_delete_RockBox_when_you_sync_the_iPod_with_iTunes_and_iTunes_asks_whether_it_can_34Erase_and_sync_34_the_iPod_63

I haven't tried RockBox, because I don't have an iPod, so please do post the results.
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
FunDa wrote:

Of course ! The OS on your computer us not related to this at all.

Even the default OS on the iPod is completely different from the computer you connect to sync songs to it.

One last question: If I install rockbox, do I have to reupload my 100 GB of music files on my iPod or is there a way to install rockbox without erasing the iPod's contents?