FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Are computers/Internet changing the way we live?





chasbeen
For me computers are a major (but not the only) interest for me.

I notice that I have evolved certain ways of doing things because of their existance.
If I have to do anything now I usually rely on at least 1 search through the Internet archives.

How has it changed what your life used to be like?
Vrythramax
It is an undoubted fact that computers, and the internet, have had an unmistakeing effect of all of our lives. TV advertising is also affected....we see internet related ads all f the time.

The 'net, and the web are here as what is apparently becoming a governing source in all of our lives.
deanhills
@Chasbeen. If you are interested in this topic, you should try the competition. Today is the deadline!

Essay competition: History of topics related to Frihost

I'm struggling with the subject of the competition a bit, as I don't think I am connected enough with the subject to do it justice, but may try later today. I think you would do excellent!

Computers have definitely changed a lot in my life. Particularly since I love anything to do with computers and computing. I go through phases where I just go through the motions, and then phases where I like to learn more about new tools that are on offer, for example to do Websites, or to do what I have done with the tools much better.
mahirh
definiton of a tv - a machine that can control your mind without your proper consent
eg- thats why you always stick to brand names
i grew around computers so my live havent changed , i still love them
standready
The computer has had a big effect on my life. As an Engineer, I used to do my drawings with a hammer and chisel on a stone tablet. Now even my pages of computations that sometimes took days to complete are done in little time.
The internet become a quick source for information and entertainment including discussions with people from around the world.
Nameless
Computers have pretty obviously affected EVERYONE'S lives. Everything from ATMs to hospital databases to traffic lights are all controlled by computers, so yeah.

mahirh wrote:
definiton of a tv - a machine that can control your mind without your proper consent
eg- thats why you always stick to brand names

Because, you are routinely strapped down and forced to watch commercial TV stations? And TV advertising is awesomely more powerful than advertising everywhere else? And cheap, generic goods went out of business years ago? Hum.
Abhishukla
Well..this is quite a tough question to answer about how internet change our lives.
If we able to keep the things into their levels then it will not going to harm our lives but if we totally depend upon any thing , then definitely it will change our living habits.

And of course if we talk about the term internet, i can say it is one of the most awesome things which i had seen in this world.
hersandal
I believe so, for instance the email, and facebook domain do a lot of change on our lives. Instead we will write mail manually and drop to the postage, now we just boot up our computer and start typing on the email address/message to our relatives to communicate with them, before we pay big bucks of bills for telephone just to talk to our relatives on the other side of the world. but now we can just fire up any instant messaging application to view their faces online and even live webcam. I can't imagine how computer and internet will change our lives in the near future. Maybe we can go any places like teleport, the a scanner will can us and automatically our form will be transported into another place. We don't know. But for now, there's advantages and disadvantages using these new technologies. thanks you.
Asap170
Psh they totally changed the course of human life. I am on the computer 24/7 well as much as I can be and I love them. It's what I am good at. Everything else I basically suck at, but I can do something that someone couldn't figure out and they been trying for 40 minutes and I can do it 3 minutes. I also know how to use almost every program...It comes naturally....If there weren't any computers then I would just be doomed.
omale55
I have to admit that the computer has made a big impact on my life, especially the internet. Most of my researches and studies are done from the computer. It has made everything so easy and convenient for me.

There were some things I hated doing before (because of the stress it involves) but I find them so easy now.

The computer and internet has affected my life very positively.
saratdear
Definitely. I think computers are now a way of life mostly, and not just a tool. Email, Skype, Internet Banking, ..Search engines! Google is one nifty little tool which helps me do my work faster. Smile
ankur2010
Is that even a question to be asked ?? Confused Yes...!! Of course my dear...!!
The answer will be 'YES"... Razz
Ghost900
Most definitely, I am getting a degree in Web Design so I would say computers have changed my life quite a bit, not sure what I would be doing if computers didn't exist. Probably become a Police or something.

They also provide us with tons of information that can be spread easily such as Wikipedia or even WikiLeaks or any other site that provides information to the masses.
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
Most definitely, I am getting a degree in Web Design so I would say computers have changed my life quite a bit, not sure what I would be doing if computers didn't exist. Probably become a Police or something.

They also provide us with tons of information that can be spread easily such as Wikipedia or even WikiLeaks or any other site that provides information to the masses.
A degree in Web Design sounds awesome. Is it possible to provide a link to the University Website, as am curious to see what the course consists off.
raaeft1
Yes, I for one am rooted to my pc/internet and I don't go out much, not even for walks.My wife also complains sometimes that I don't give her much attention and that thepc/internet/facebook is my real wife.
chatrack
Hi,

Computer has changed my life and life style too.

More you don't know about it, more interest it generates.
ChrisCh
It's not just the internet that has changed my life, but also the associated technologies that go along with it... for example - I recently had to get the bus to my work Christmas party, which, considering where I live and work, was in the middle of nowhere. I was able to load the list of bus stops from the operator's website, and follow them one by one on my smartphone until I got to the right one. Then, I activated Google Maps on my phone, and using a combination of GPS, mobile tower distance calculation, and a couple of other features, it was able to give me walking directions between the bus stop and the venue (the closest stop wasn't particularly close)... if this kind of technology wasn't available, I would have had to pay for a cab - so it has saved my hip pocket Very Happy
deanhills
ChrisCh wrote:
I activated Google Maps on my phone, and using a combination of GPS, mobile tower distance calculation, and a couple of other features, it was able to give me walking directions between the bus stop and the venue (the closest stop wasn't particularly close)... if this kind of technology wasn't available, I would have had to pay for a cab - so it has saved my hip pocket Very Happy
Wish I were able to do all of that! How did you do it and was the GPS attached to the phone? Now that IS a Smart Phone! Now if the Phone could warm you up as well, then it would probably be a miraculous phone as well? Was it very cold outside? I seem to recall my days of using buses in Calgary, Canada during winter and just about freezing on the spot. How long did you have to wait? Smile

Oops .... Embarassed sorry, just noticed you are from Australia. Has to be the other way round now, unless you are in Victoria or other cooler parts of Australia?
rockpan
Cyber factory, cyber hospital, and cyber cities, ...
they depends on computer and internet.
News, Mail, and other communications are all based on computer.
Computer is a based part of my life now.
In cold days, instead of going outside, you can play tennis on Wii or other computer based game machines.
_AVG_
Well, they've certainly changed the way I live. It's so convenient shopping online, making bookings online ... doing practically everything online. And as far as computers are concerned, I don't know what we would do without them. Looking at any average office, evidently, everyone has a computer at their desk. I think that this is enough said. Smile
xevo
chatrack wrote:
Computer has changed my life and life style too.

Here, here!
I can't imagine living without my PC and internet!
Life wound lose all meaning Brick wall
LOL
mgeek
The first time I used a computer in the 1990s, I thought it revolutionized the way one would write a thesis. And then in 1999, when I started producing content on webpages, I realized that the computer and the internet has revolutionized the way one publishes. Right now, a whole techology has been developed that was not available ten years ago. Videos, audio files, Cloud applications -- man, the computer and the internet has definitely changed the office and the way we publish materials.
deanhills
mgeek wrote:
The first time I used a computer in the 1990s, I thought it revolutionized the way one would write a thesis. And then in 1999, when I started producing content on webpages, I realized that the computer and the internet has revolutionized the way one publishes. Right now, a whole techology has been developed that was not available ten years ago. Videos, audio files, Cloud applications -- man, the computer and the internet has definitely changed the office and the way we publish materials.
Right! I was just thinking earlier tonight that I cannot remember when last I wrote a letter. Put it in an envelope, addressed it, and put a stamp on the envelope. That feels like ages ago. Everything is by e-mail these days, and I really prefer it that way. I can't write properly any more. I'm much more comfortable with a key board. Almost as though there is a much better coordination between my head/fingers and keyboard, than head/fingers and pen or pencil.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
I was just thinking earlier tonight that I cannot remember when last I wrote a letter. Put it in an envelope, addressed it, and put a stamp on the envelope. That feels like ages ago.


That made me smile, I actually wrote my first letter with a pen for about 10 years last week.
It was to my mother and although we communicate by phone/skype/email sharing pics and the like, I thought it would be nice just to sit down and write my thoughts to her for a change.

It worked and she was really touched by it. I know the internet has changed our world in many ways for the better, but I don't think it will ever truly match the feeling of holding something tangiable that another person has written by hand Smile
standready
deanhills wrote:
I was just thinking earlier tonight that I cannot remember when last I wrote a letter. Put it in an envelope, addressed it, and put a stamp on the envelope.

Yesterday for me to a close friend. I did get a cramp from holding the pen. laugh
DanielWatts
Yes and made it better for me to live.
rjraaz
Yes it changed my live; more of my friends always tell now i am not free for them after my all work i spent my time on my computer even though i am not able to join parties.
iman
1. sending files are awesome
2. communication has never been easier
3. i learn so much from wikipedia
4. search anything you don't know
5. the fact that everyone is essentially connected through wires and wireless signals
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
It worked and she was really touched by it. I know the internet has changed our world in many ways for the better, but I don't think it will ever truly match the feeling of holding something tangiable that another person has written by hand Smile
Now this was a great touch. The closest I've got has been the odd post card when I am traveling. As I like post cards. I collect them from all over the world.
ankitdatashn
Yes, surely enough computer is changing our lives. I too agree that every day surely involves a search on the google, google is just seemingly an integral part of life now, just type what you are thinking about and bam its there for you as if some food on a platter where you are choosing your dish.

Also if you are feeling bored then the computer games are there for you, or the social networking sites can keep you engrossed. Computer has surely changed our lives in a big way... Smile
dapopeyoh
For me, computers have a positive effect on the way I live. It sort of simplifies everything for me. Especially the internet. It makes so many things a lot easier.
goutha
dapopeyoh wrote:
For me, computers have a positive effect on the way I live. It sort of simplifies everything for me. Especially the internet. It makes so many things a lot easier.


Using it in an intelligent way, it has a positive effect. Otherwise, using it too much will become negative!
Navigator
I am not sure if the exposure of 8+ hours of work in front of a PC has a positive effect, but that the sign of the time.
deanhills
I'd probably be better off without spending such a long time in front of a computer. In some ways I think I've become completely addicted. I wonder what it would be like to take a complete break for say three months and not touch a computer during that time. I guess that would be a true test of the role it has been playing in my life.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
I'd probably be better off without spending such a long time in front of a computer. In some ways I think I've become completely addicted. I wonder what it would be like to take a complete break for say three months and not touch a computer during that time. I guess that would be a true test of the role it has been playing in my life.


Lol, I know what you mean there!
I've been working mostly from home for the last few months so I'm staring at this laptop screen far more than I should. (email/work stuff/Frihost/Internet browsing)

Been thinking about a complete change lately and although it could mean a drop in pay or longer hours, I fancy something like a driving job as my licence allows me small trucks up to 7500 kg, and I've enjoyed it in a temporary role in the past. Another option is trainee bus driver to get the PCV licence, or even take a part-time course at college and become a plumber! Got many many years of working still ahead of me and right now I'm really tired of Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint (and this eye-burning screen) etc being my tools every day Crying or Very sad
Insanity
I think computers have changed our lives in ways that are much greater than what we think. I don't think that people realize the extent that our very infrastructure is run by computers. Almost everything, including our national security systems, our power plants, our electric grid, our street lights, our banking institutions, etc. are all run by computers. It's a lot more than simply having Facebook or Twitter at home, it's a much bigger aspect of our lives.

And yes, it has changed our lives a lot for all those reasons above. It has made things much more efficient and quick, as we can now communicate across vast distances and get almost instant information using search engines.
watersoul
Insanity wrote:
It has made things much more efficient and quick, as we can now communicate across vast distances and get almost instant information using search engines.

It also makes us much more vulnerable to problems such as something simple like a power cut. I was in a store some time ago when the payment system crashed. I was the only person able to buy my food etc because I was the only person who had 'real' cash in my pocket.

I have an 'old fashioned' UK road map in my car and if sat-nav's ever fail, again that isn't a problem for me. My car itself is also quite old but I can replace most parts myself if there is a problem so I don't have to pay the expensive diagnostic at a mechanics computer terminal.

In my job there are certain calculations which new staff can only do while using software which asks lots of questions in a form field. I'm the only person who can still do it using a pen and paper, and there have been a few times when the lap-top battery has died but I've still been able work.

Yep, computers have completely changed the world mostly for the better, but I wonder at what hidden cost of knowledge sometimes?
emanuel2
watersoul wrote:
I'm the only person who can still do it using a pen and paper, and there have been a few times when the lap-top battery has died but I've still been able work.

Yep, computers have completely changed the world mostly for the better, but I wonder at what hidden cost of knowledge sometimes?


I also can still work with pen and paper Smile Since I need it for exams in university. But I am not that quick I once was back in the school and my hand hurts after about one hour of writing ^^

I also have to admit that yes it changed my life a lot, but thats mainly because of my computer intensive direction of education. In most cases it changed for the better, I guess..
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Been thinking about a complete change lately and although it could mean a drop in pay or longer hours, I fancy something like a driving job as my licence allows me small trucks up to 7500 kg, and I've enjoyed it in a temporary role in the past. Another option is trainee bus driver to get the PCV licence, or even take a part-time course at college and become a plumber! Got many many years of working still ahead of me and right now I'm really tired of Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint (and this eye-burning screen) etc being my tools every day Crying or Very sad
My cousin in the United States did just that. He was driving large trucks and he had to get a special licence for it, which he did. He said it was a little lonely at times, but since he is loner it was not that much hardship. He was crisscrossing from West to East and North to South, driving in some of the most scenic places as well. At one point he was driving in Manhattan as well. His overheads were very low. He could sleep in the cabin behind the driving unit, and kept most of his stuff in storage.

Last year he decided to go for a bit of "adventure" and joined a civilian unit that is supplying transport services for the US military in Afghanistan. A good way of saving money. Smile
iman
Not just computers, but technology in general. It's been that way for ages.
I'm not sure though, if technology really makes our lives easier.
achowles
The internet has given people from all over the world and all walks of life the opportunity to communicate with each other cost effectively, safely and (relatively) instantly. I don't think we can measure the impact that has and will continue to have in terms of breaking down sociological and nationalistic barriers.

I also believe that this education about other cultures serves to highlight injustices found in one's own culture and make them less tolerable than they were perceived to be before. I don't doubt this contributed to the uprisings we've been witnessing in north Africa and the Middle East.
deanhills
achowles wrote:
The internet has given people from all over the world and all walks of life the opportunity to communicate with each other cost effectively, safely and (relatively) instantly. I don't think we can measure the impact that has and will continue to have in terms of breaking down sociological and nationalistic barriers.
There are also negative effects of this such as hacking people's information that they erroneously may think is privately held on their computers, and stalking people. The positive part of finding friends and colleagues is great, but there are negatives of people with not so good intent trying to get hold of information of people they are obsessed with.

achowles wrote:
I also believe that this education about other cultures serves to highlight injustices found in one's own culture and make them less tolerable than they were perceived to be before. I don't doubt this contributed to the uprisings we've been witnessing in north Africa and the Middle East.
Very good point. Some of the countries with a dictatorial system of Government have discovered this as well. No doubt this must have played a great role in the Liberation Square gathering in Egypt. Websites like Facebook and Twitter must be Mubarak's and Ghadaffi's worst nightmares.
ProwerBot
I spend every waking moment I get on my computer or my iPod. Technology made me who I am and I am ashamed to say I can't live without it.
deanhills
ProwerBot wrote:
I spend every waking moment I get on my computer or my iPod. Technology made me who I am and I am ashamed to say I can't live without it.
Right! Looks as though this technology has made us prisoners of sorts? Some of us have become willing slaves to it. Very Happy
lovescience
Computer is a tool to process information for people. People spend time on using this tool and developing on this tool.

Now, so many people are involved in processing information and developing on this tool. It seems like computer has become people's another pair of eye and ear to access information from itself or from other people using the computer to their brain.

For example, you work on the computer for it to program and to show the result you need for work. Without the computer, the result may be different.
You talk to people who use computer through computer. You talk to people who do not use computer in person.

We may be on a road that is we are capable of asking computer to do more work in a shorter time. And this is interesting, we may also spend more time on computer for it to do more work that it did not do before.
Greatking
the net i must say has improved my way of thinking and living tremendously.
its made me more careful, because of the information i receive from it.
its made me aware of issues around the world.
it has really changed my life.
CheDragon
of course they do! have you seen new generations? they get more stupid every day
cybersa
Yes that change the way we live.
We can learn both good and bad thing in the internet.
Now days computer are everywhere.
Computer also change the way we live.

Try to learn good thing in internet.
Radar
It's almost realistic to say that computers aren't changing the way we live - they are the way we live.

Certainly the way that we work, relax, socially interact... take away computers, and there are very few areas of life that remain unaffected.
Bluedoll
I just had a thought. Are computers changing and does that change the way we live? If we can agree that computers do change and that they affect us.
Greatking
yes they are. they sure are changing the way we get information and send information.
computers and the internet have broaden our scope of thinking and our choices and decisions as well.
they have changed the way we live our lives.
its changed our mindset etc
Bluedoll
I agree, there are many examples and they are so intergraded with our modern day life. But I was trying to say, Are computers/internets changing? How? (from desktop to handheld/more social sites etc.) Are those changes we see affecting how we compute and then our life?
Or is it visa versa, people are reading more or less and therefore using computers differently which causes computers to change ...thereby changing how we use.... affecting.. Cool
lovelyviki
change our life so much.
i think if no computer, we will live a longer time.
we spend our most of time on computer, work and entertainment,game and chat, it seems we have to relay on computer, or we can not live any more.
drunkenkoz
The internet changed my life in many ways. I grew up around computer because my father was a programmer in the 90s, so I was always at his office as a kid learning about programming and other things. I would pretty much go insane if the internet just ceased to exist one day. That's how serious the computer and internet can affect some of our lives. My entire career is based on a tiny hard drive. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that all these things actually exist.
xevo
Of course - do you even have to ask? Smile
Bluedoll
drunkenkoz wrote:
I would pretty much go insane if the internet just ceased to exist one day.
I do not think I would go that far. In fact not using the internet might cause me to read more - what were they called? Oh right books? Laughing The thing is this part might be true or not? But the use of handheld devices has changed the way we use computers. More quick texting, short quick lines of communication? Therefore, we read and write less at a time? Therefore, if we do that a lot we tend to - well you tell me? Razz
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:
I would pretty much go insane if the internet just ceased to exist one day.
I do not think I would go that far. In fact not using the internet might cause me to read more - what were they called? Oh right books? Laughing The thing is this part might be true or not? But the use of handheld devices has changed the way we use computers. More quick texting, short quick lines of communication? Therefore, we read and write less at a time? Therefore, if we do that a lot we tend to - well you tell me? Razz
Well, with iPad, perhaps you could read as well? Reading books online? Very Happy
eday2010
Sadly they are, and not for the better. Look at how obsessed people are with "staying connected". They can't live without checking their stupid email and stupid Facebook. They live most of their lives online and their lives revolve around their computer. Worse is people whose lives revolve around their cell phone. I don't know if I have ever seen anything sadder than that.
IceCreamTruck
ProwerBot wrote:
I spend every waking moment I get on my computer or my iPod. Technology made me who I am and I am ashamed to say I can't live without it.


Never say "can't"... the universe will prove you wrong somehow!

Imagine: You've won an all expense paid vacation to go an live in an Amish community for a YEAR! That's right, all of your grits and lye soap needs will be met for one year, and you'll be further rewarded with being able to do 16 hours of manual labor a day which includes, but is not limited to, ditch digging, cleaning the barn, branding animals, and waking up early to milk the cows! You'll be completely immersed from well before dawn to well after sunset, so you'll be too tired to take advantage of all the arts and crafts that the experience offers! On the weekends hop on the wagon for a trip to town... YeeeeHaaaa! This is more of an opportunity to convert the heathens rather than an opportunity to indulge in the evils of this world, so part of the requirement of "going to town" is checking in at the wagon every 30 minutes!

Grab your Amish hat and get ready for some boot scootin' fun! No laptop... you don't need that where we are going! What's the internets?

PS. You are asking for the universe to mess with you! That's a promise.
Bluedoll
eday2010 wrote:
Sadly they are, and not for the better. Look at how obsessed people are with "staying connected". They can't live without checking their stupid email and stupid Facebook. They live most of their lives online and their lives revolve around their computer. Worse is people whose lives revolve around their cell phone. I don't know if I have ever seen anything sadder than that.
Interesting point. I would speculate if those people who are reading and sending low quality junk mail and don’t really do anything with technology that makes their life better or try to improve themselves, it is sad, yes, indeed. That is true. Of course it is possible as well that the same technology could be used for a better purpose other than say those silly things or narrowing negativity.
chasbeen
Well I got a lot of hits stRting this subject.
Now just think how big business has tried to utilize the personal computer...
They have mostly failed (so far)
It's like the wild west but you cannot get shot!
IceCreamTruck
Bluedoll wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
Sadly they are, and not for the better. Look at how obsessed people are with "staying connected". They can't live without checking their stupid email and stupid Facebook. They live most of their lives online and their lives revolve around their computer. Worse is people whose lives revolve around their cell phone. I don't know if I have ever seen anything sadder than that.
Interesting point. I would speculate if those people who are reading and sending low quality junk mail and don’t really do anything with technology that makes their life better or try to improve themselves, it is sad, yes, indeed. That is true. Of course it is possible as well that the same technology could be used for a better purpose other than say those silly things or narrowing negativity.


It's not just logging on to facebook or having access to their phone that they generally want. It's all the people that contact them through those mediums.

I am not just trying to create an argument, but we all get a little crazy if you deprave us of human interaction. There's nothing special about facebook, myspace, or frihost (let's just pretend it isn't special for a moment) if the people aren't here or on those websites.

Could it be said that people are generally social addicts? When we receive praise from people we get a little shot of serotonin, so is the pursuit of human interaction, or of generally feeling good, an addiction as well? I hate when people degrade others as inferior because act like they need something that others don't need, or when one person calls another an addict or a user. We're all users and addicts -- every last one of us -- the last I checked.
IceCreamTruck
chasbeen wrote:
Well I got a lot of hits stRting this subject.
Now just think how big business has tried to utilize the personal computer...
They have mostly failed (so far)
It's like the wild west but you cannot get shot!


Please elaborate and give more detail. I'm not following what you mean here.
chasbeen
ICT
There's no doubt that computers have changed us.
It's such a vortex because it is interesting to so mAny people in so many different ways.
What I was trying to say and here goes me trying to elaborate..

The commercial companies are trying to utilize the avid users of the Internet.
I was not just thinking about advertising and ways to make the general public purchase certain products,

I was thinking also about the Wikipedia website which is an absolutely independent solution.
Originally Microsoft had planned to make money from Encyclopedias and extend that to education.

This is a huge subject, excuse spelling I'm iPod
spinout
Without the internet I would :

use BBSes instead! haha...

nah.... hm, I would be out driving old cars and drink! or... doing martial arts
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
We're all users and addicts -- every last one of us -- the last I checked.

I believe most of the "addict" calling comes from the online, supposedly depersonalised nature of Facebook and other mediums. I mean, you don't hear much of 'talking-with-friends addict' for long hours of face to face conversation, do you?
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
We're all users and addicts -- every last one of us -- the last I checked.

I believe most of the "addict" calling comes from the online, supposedly depersonalised nature of Facebook and other mediums. I mean, you don't hear much of 'talking-with-friends addict' for long hours of face to face conversation, do you?


My point is that facebook is unappealing without people, and that's the main purpose of people going to facebook is to connect with other people. I think people can be addicted to playing those addictive little puzzle games and such online, and facebook is an outlet for that, but people wouldn't be there unless all their friends were also there.

Facebook built this on giving people a place to post their pictures for everyone to see, so that's how they got people to start coming. Once they had a lot of active people it snowballed down the mountain picking up more and more and more people. Fundamentally I don't think facebook apps would be all that popular if that is all that facebook offered, but people come because their friends are on it, and they get caught up installing apps, and they basically infect their computers with tons and tons of spam software, so now they either spend all their time on the game or closing ad windows for the game. They are constantly reminded of their "farm" in farmopolis (name changed because I HATE facebook apps enough already), or their gang in Mafiaopolis (I'd rather die then give an app free advertsing), or they have some made up crisis in their Rollercoasteropolis (did I mention I hate facebook apps, and purposely get their names wrong?), or it's just a mad ring of spam from Bakingopolis as it contacts your friends with spam to ask them if you can barrow their sugar and stupid things like that. I think it's fair to say at this point that people can't ignore spam, even if doing so seems easy to some of us it's a smaller portion of the population than is currently still clicking unsolicited email and encouraging bad business practice online -- most of them are just addicts of their own self-importance, and they really think "You've won a prize!" Of course I have won because I am awesome, and addicted to thinking that about myself. I'm also addicted to constant self reassurance, and I talk to myself in my head. Can't stop.. it makes me feel good.

Do you not pursue the things you like? Do you not get away from things you don't like? Well, this shows your addiction to serotonin and your general distaste for cortisol. Both are chemicals in your brain, and to which you respond every minute of every day just like an addict. Technically this addiction would destroy your life too if serotonin were poisonous, or if you could overdose on it. Think about it -- have you ever been too happy and decided to stop and practiced not being happy every time it spontaneously arrose? Then you'd have no defense against happiness, and you'd end up doing something that killed you on serotonin overdose.

The opposite, I think, is also somewhat true, and most people act like addicts, because they would have a lot of trouble choosing to be sad if cortisol was the only drug that could save them. We so desperately don't want to feel this emotion that we even develop exaggerated ticks, and we go a little crazy, if we experience it too long, and see how you've spent your whole life trying to avoid being sad you probably wouldn't even know where to begin in becoming sad. My point is that everyone acts like an addict to me... exactly the same... some are addicted to diets, religion, substances, success, excitement (oh so many), and have to be constantly entertained. Likewise people act just like addicts when they avoid sad situations, boredom, repetition, routine, silence, tradition, and normality. Some people don't think they can be happy unless everything is extreme -- extremely dramatic, extremely fun, extremely satisfying, etc. This is addiction, and we all have it.

Theres an odd thought: Addicts are the only ones who say "I'm bored", and they are also the only ones who are never bored. That effectively covers everyone on the planet.

Some choose to ignore everyone else and call only those who are addicted to heroin or cocaine, or some other illegal drug, as "addicts". The thing is they are the same as many people, but the whole truth of the matter is that the only difference between them and others is that other's haven't tried cocaine or heroin yet. Meaning: the others habits, and addictive nature, make them the same as the heroin addict but they haven't added cocaine or heroin to the mix yet -- they haven't lost control of their addictions or had their addictions begin to hurt them, at least not obviously.

Often they are addicted to much lighter substances as far as risk to your health and potential overdose and death go, but if they eat too much and make themselves gain a ton of weight and they die of a heart attack, then really the only difference between them and the heroin addict is time. Both are consuming a substance that is hurting them, and killing them. There is no difference to me, as both are substance abusers in my eyes.

My parents told me my whole life not to try drugs. I tried drugs anyway, because they told me I wouldn't be happy unless I believe in God which, honestly, never helped me either. I heard them telling me that drugs are bad, and then they take tons of vitamins in the morning, and tons of other strange pills at night, all of which are prescribed by their doctors. I've always looked at their definition of drugs as hypocritical.

Occasionally I take an advil or aleeve for headache, but generally I just go to sleep when I get a headache, and it's gone by morning. I do, however, take other drugs sometimes if I am wanting to have a good time, much like someone might have a beer to loosen up, or like someone who lights up at a stop light just to do something while they wait. I've never spent rent money on drugs, and I think I deserve to party hard because I work hard, not because I think I'm in any way born into that deserving of good things in life.

Drugs only ever take you down though, which is why I use them. I am an intense person, and my job requires a lot out of me, and I'm usually always busy with something. Drugs help me relax, kick back, and watch the world for a change. I use it to slow me down, and I feel I have a good grip on what it does for me, and I don't see myself ever thinking that i need any drug to work -- except caffeine on some early mornings! -- as drugs don't improve much of anything, and usually always make you less than before you took them. Not many people actually need drugs to feel that good anyway, but that doesn't stop us from sharing our addictions with others, and it usually doesn't stop them from trying illegal drugs. I was raised on caffeine, but the rumor is that an apple with wake you up in the morning just as much as a cup of coffee, and I didn't hear that growing up. I want to get away from caffeine, but I'd be a zombie for along time, and I need to work out something with this job first and get some time to deal with just my concerns which i don't really have much of at this time.

You mentioned that people aren't addicted to each other, and I beg to differ on that. Friends see each other every day for no reason, and call each other all the time at the drop of a hat with reasons that don't often justify the resources spent on communication. If you separate a child from their friends too long, then they basically go psycho with anxiety unless they are a loner child that is already accustomed to separation.

Is the separated child that freaks out not an addict? In fact, friends usually require investment, and it's not often readily apparent any benefit for keeping friends that we are continually investing in only to freak out if they are taken away because it usually means for most people that they won't have to share their milkshake, won't have to help their friend when they've had a bad day by staying up all night talking to them, and generally you could stop having to do the things that make people like you.

Instead people focus on how you are somehow less now that a person, who continually takes away from who you are, as defining who we are and that we can't live without them. Seriously... the number of social addicts is an enormous portion of our population even here on frihost, and the fact that isn't readily apparent to you is staggering.

In your mind do a quick survey of the people you've known who lost their phone or dropped it in the toilet. Fairly universally across the board they were all complaining about loosing contacts, and not complaining about loosing games or having to reinstall them. Sure a couple angry birds fans wondered how they were going to get their fix, but the majority of people are seriously addicted to the reassurances of their friends around them.

When was the last time you were alone? The answer might be daily like me if you prefer to be alone, or have trouble trusting people, but it might be "never" and you'd be surprised how many honest people answer "never alone". We're constantly surrounded by people... if you've found a way to get away from them then please let me know cause they keep showing up everywhere, and all i want is to be left alone some times. I can't get away from people -- they are everywhere!

My addictions: Success, Meeting New People, Soft drinks, and Starbucks but maybe not in that order. I'm not so much of a social addict but I'd get a little squirrelly on you if you took away my frihost! Smile I'm not excluded from all the other addicts, but I feel I have a better concept of everyone's dependencies. I don't think less of someone just because cocaine or heroin got the better of them, as their habits are going to kill them just like my habits in the same situation would kill me. I just continue to not know what I'm missing from heroin or cocaine, although I've actually tried cocaine, and seeing how I'm an intense person already cocaine made me feel like I was moving so fast I was going to fly apart. I usually avoid playing with fire even though fire is fascinating, and the excitement of experimentation is exhilarating. I'm some what addicted to remaining in control of myself, and experience anxiety with the prospect of loosing control -- insomniac, who hates the dentist and hospitals.
TurtleShell
I grew up in the 80's. its amazing to me that when I was growing up, my parents didn't have mapquest. They just knew, somehow, how to get to the businesses they needed to go to. In fact, somehow they knew what businesses were out there in the city I grew up in. When I was in the third grade, my family moved three hours away to the suburbs of a large city. how did they find a house for us to live in, without the Internet? how did my step dad find a job without the Internet? how did we find a moving company, without the Internet? Once they'd finally moved, how did they manage in an unfamiliar place without the Internet? Where did my mom find her job?

I was listening to NPR the other day. They were running a story about how San Francisco is trying to pass a law that would require people to opt-in to the yellow pages. So, you wouldn't receive the yellow pages in San Francisco unless you told the yellow pages specifically that you wanted to receive it.

Just 15 years ago, the phone book was an important part of my life, and now I don't need it, don't want it, and would totally opt out of getting it if I could. but I thinkt hat's probably a huge part of how my parents managed when we moved far away, when I was a little girl.
IceCreamTruck
TurtleShell wrote:
I grew up in the 80's. its amazing to me that when I was growing up, my parents didn't have mapquest. They just knew, somehow, how to get to the businesses they needed to go to. In fact, somehow they knew what businesses were out there in the city I grew up in. When I was in the third grade, my family moved three hours away to the suburbs of a large city. how did they find a house for us to live in, without the Internet? how did my step dad find a job without the Internet? how did we find a moving company, without the Internet? Once they'd finally moved, how did they manage in an unfamiliar place without the Internet? Where did my mom find her job?

I was listening to NPR the other day. They were running a story about how San Francisco is trying to pass a law that would require people to opt-in to the yellow pages. So, you wouldn't receive the yellow pages in San Francisco unless you told the yellow pages specifically that you wanted to receive it.

Just 15 years ago, the phone book was an important part of my life, and now I don't need it, don't want it, and would totally opt out of getting it if I could. but I thinkt hat's probably a huge part of how my parents managed when we moved far away, when I was a little girl.


My parents did the same thing when we moved to Germany, but they didn't speak the language. I often wonder how they got past the many roadblocks that presents.

Your reply is good. It illustrates how people expressed and received much information back in the day. The yellowpages was essential to business a few years ago, and now I'm constantly fielding the question "should I invest in the yellowpages any more?"... my response is always something along the lines of "I can't make that call for your business" as I feel you should do business with whatever avenue brings you customers. If you don't know what avenues bring the most customers, then investigate it by asking your clientele, or giving incentive for them to tell you buy saying something like "Mention the Yellowpage/Webpage Ad code and get further 10% combinable offer"

I don't think our yellowpages are opt out yet here in central kentucky. They deliver like 14 phone books a year or so... it's kinda ridiculous because they print so many that even if you request not getting one, then your residence might still get one or two, or 20. it's nutz.
TurtleShell
Why are you fielding questions about the yellow pages? What do you do for a living? That story on NPR made me think about people who work for the yellow pages--what a depressing place I think that would be right now. I mean, it seems like (from an outsiders point of view) that the days of the yellow pages are seriously numbered at this point.
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Fundamentally I don't think facebook apps would be all that popular if that is all that facebook offered, but people come because their friends are on it..

Agreed. "Like this page, because 15 friends like it!" "Play this game, because 35 friends do!" Smile

IceCreamTruck wrote:
Is the separated child that freaks out not an addict?

In the strictest definition of an addict maybe, but my point was - do you ever hear a parent say - "Oh, he's a friend addict, spends far too much of time roaming with friends."
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Fundamentally I don't think facebook apps would be all that popular if that is all that facebook offered, but people come because their friends are on it..

Agreed. "Like this page, because 15 friends like it!" "Play this game, because 35 friends do!" Smile

IceCreamTruck wrote:
Is the separated child that freaks out not an addict?

In the strictest definition of an addict maybe, but my point was - do you ever hear a parent say - "Oh, he's a friend addict, spends far too much of time roaming with friends."


I agree, but just because we don't label self destructive behavior, or because we don't have a grip on how it's hurting us, doesn't mean it isn't almost a disease that some are going through. Just like depression is a disease. We're lucky they finally defined depression in the medical books.... it hasn't been that long.
Josso
The internet sort of kicked off as I was growing up, I remember when most of it was just spinning gifs, silly star back grounds (what the hell) and awful HTML pages that were probably mostly whacked out on word or something. Anything that allows information to be moved around very quickly is beneficial to human learning, and also more importantly one of the few mediums of real free speech still available today.
bukaida
The computer has changed our life a lot. Be it on entertainment, social neworking, online bill payments, online purchase or online tutorial & forums--Computer is everywhere. It is supplying bread & butter to so many people directly or indirectly. I think computer along with internet was one of the geatest invention of the last decade.
IceCreamTruck
bukaida wrote:
The computer has changed our life a lot. Be it on entertainment, social neworking, online bill payments, online purchase or online tutorial & forums--Computer is everywhere. It is supplying bread & butter to so many people directly or indirectly. I think computer along with internet was one of the geatest invention of the last decade.


It's definitely raised human awareness, and literacy. How long we experience this result could be questionable as with L33t speak the language is being further deconstructed, so literacy is on the rise, but grammatical error and misspelling has never had such a bad ratio to proper English before now as well, so it's both a good thing and a bad thing for human communication. We're able to communicate more, but I think we're miscommunicating much more as well.

I think Kepler Space Telescope might be high on the list of beneficial inventions as well as CERN. The internet may still prove to be our undoing, but CERN and Kepler may define the future in ways still unknown. If we get off this rock and go to a planet discovered by Kepler, then the internet will play a vital role in the development of a mission (it's not done on paper any more!), but credit for getting off this rock and giving humans more longevity in the universe would trump anything the internet has done for us so far in my opinion.

Sure, we communicate with the internet now, and many things are wrapped up in the net that didn't use to be, but since we can communicate without it and many systems that are now wrapped up in it can exist on their own and did at one time, then it's hard to attribute the internet as the reason a lot of things transpire, but i see your point, and agree it's helped us. I just don't think it will sit in the chair of "greatest invention" for long, as we can't find other planets without the aid of Kepler at the moment, and anything found by Kepler, and eventually explored, will be directly attributable to Kepler's invention and deployment unlike much of what I feel is loosely giving credit to the internet for things that we can't really prove the internet has brought to us, or that we wouldn't have some things without the internet is not entirely accurate like some assume.

You are correct, however, for the most part. Currently your statement about the internet being the greatest invention is fairly solid. Not much compares to it's scope.
bukaida
As the last decade has ended with 2010, the greatest invention of last decade tag will stand. Any future invention will be the invention of this decade(2011-2020).
BigGeek
Of course the internet is changing the way we live our lives, we are becoming a global community. I personally have friends on Facebook and Myspace that live in India, Brazil, China, Europe, and the Middle East. So many of us are engaged in the same activity, friends with people that in the past we would have never known.

Not to mention the technical information at our finger tips that makes our jobs easier, access to parts and supplies never available before through the web. Not to mention discussion forums, free web space and so much more.

Yes the web is not just changing our lives, it is changing the world.

70 to 80 years ago, it was easy to invoke bigotry and hatred for people in foreign countries and insight a population to war based on lies and fear of the enemy. Now, it is almost impossible, people are friends with those on the other side of the world, we talk and learn about each others cultures and way of life, the walls of fear and ignorance have been torn down by the Web, and we are able to learn things about other countries and their citizens that prevents stereo types and prejudices based on ignorance and fear.

Yeah it is really a new time for mankind, and I think the web is paving the way!
mgeek
watersoul wrote:

I actually wrote my first letter with a pen for about 10 years last week.
It was to my mother and although we communicate by phone/skype/email sharing pics and the like, I thought it would be nice just to sit down and write my thoughts to her for a change.

It worked and she was really touched by it. I know the internet has changed our world in many ways for the better, but I don't think it will ever truly match the feeling of holding something tangiable that another person has written by hand Smile


Right on! Very Happy
Bluedoll
iman wrote:
1. sending files are awesome
2. communication has never been easier
3. i learn so much from wikipedia
4. search anything you don't know
5. the fact that everyone is essentially connected through wires and wireless signals
This is awesome when you really think about it and all at your fingertips with an investment or if not access to some free technology often available.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.