FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Report possible featured discussions?

ocalhoun
I just had an idea that it would be spiffy if you could suggest a given topic be a featured discussion in much the same way that you report a topic/post...
It would be a quick, easy way to bring attention to it, and perhaps result in the featured topics being utilized more.

There's two main ways it could be implemented, as I see it:
(easy) - add a 'suggest as a featured topic' category to reporting topics and posts
(harder) - add a new button for it.

The easy way is tempting, but I think it would be much more utilized if it had a separate button, so far more users will notice it and remember to use it.
Either way, it could be logged as a report, and show up on the list of reports for mods and admins to look at.
If the topic was obviously unsuitable as a featured discussion, any moderator could deny it by closing the report, but if it might be a good one, it could be left there for the admins to consider adding it to the featured topics.

There have been several suggestions about a karma system/thank you button/good post button/et cetera... I think this would be a good Frihost-specific way to fulfill that desire. (And since the reporting infrastructure is already in place, it would be relatively easy to implement.)
Bondings
On one hand, yes that could easily be added and used. However there are 2 problems with it that I see. One is that "report" really sounds like something wrong with the topic/post and hence it won't be easy to let members use it, as you say. The other is that I would like to separate reports and good posts. Besides, usually a report is rather urgent (like spam), while a featured discussion suggestion doesn't harm if it stays there for quite a while.

I would rather like a special button (but there is already a topic to suggest them, although not widely used by the users and monitored by me).

Another option is to let people vote for 'good' topics, a system similar to Reddit/Digg/Hacker News, but only for Frihost topics and blog posts.
deanhills
Excellent suggestion Ocalhoun. But to address the points that Bondings made, I think one should definitely make it more difficult. Was it Ghost Rider who recently mentioned how swamped Moderators are with reports? So perhaps complaints should be separate from suggestions for featured discussions?

I would have a button or link that says Suggestion for Featured Discussion, that automatically goes to a sub-forum of the Suggestions Forum, and then the person explaining why he/she thinks the thread should be a featured discussion. And of course thereby earn some points as well.

Alternatively to have the link going to a form of sorts, but dealt with separately from the main stream of reports.
saratdear
I like the suggestion - it'd be better to add it as a separate button.

Just curious, ocalhoun - can't you suggest these type of things in the moderators' forum? Smile
PGe-tips
I'm in favor !

Currently as a user it's hard to find interesting topics between the chit-chat. If there would be a system that reports interesting topics , I'm sure those topics will get more visitors so more and probably better interaction.
It would be cool that, like there is now already a link for "view topics since your last visit", a link would be added with "view interesting topics" or "view most active topics"

... just an idea.
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:

Just curious, ocalhoun - can't you suggest these type of things in the moderators' forum? Smile

(More experienced staff members correct me if I'm wrong)
I figure it's best to suggest things in the public forum, except when it's about staff-only features.
That way, it also gets feedback from ordinary members. And who knows? Perhaps one of the replies will add something useful to the idea and make it better...
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
saratdear wrote:

No correction needed.
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:

I figure it's best to suggest things in the public forum, except when it's about staff-only features.
That way, it also gets feedback from ordinary members. And who knows? Perhaps one of the replies will add something useful to the idea and make it better...

Point noted. And I didn't say it personally, congrats on becoming a moderator! Smile
LittleBlackKitten
Why not assign someone specifically to handle reports to take the load off someone else? This way, the other mods can do their job and we can employ this wonderful idea of Ocalhouns. Very Happy

And don't misunderstand me, I feel it necessary to clarify I am not volunteering!
Bikerman
That is not really feasible.
Reports can only really be handled by people with (at least) moderator access, since they sometimes require intervention, warnings or even more serious action. It also requires a knowledge and understanding of context - ie what context the posting being complained about occupies. It can (and does) happen, for example, that a posting is complained about and whilst it does 'push the boundaries' of the TOS, the complaint originates with someone who is also pushing the boundaries in the same thread.
LittleBlackKitten
Wouldn't that imply a moderator? Like I said? I didn't mean to imply you should pick up some random user...Razz
Bikerman
No, for the simple reason that moderators tend to be most active (and therefore most aware) in only some of the many forums. As an extreme example, I wouldn't have a clue if a report in Portuguese was valid or not - I would leave that to one of the language moderators.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Why not assign someone specifically to handle reports to take the load off someone else? This way, the other mods can do their job and we can employ this wonderful idea of Ocalhouns. Very Happy

And don't misunderstand me, I feel it necessary to clarify I am not volunteering!
I think it would be much better to have a separate button for the featured discussion suggestions. So that they are not intermingled with the complaints. Will make it much more efficient, and Bondings can then just glance through them and check how valuable they are for a featured discussion.

I still think the button should go to a separate form where the person who is suggesting the featured discussion should give his/her reasons, just so that people won't get to click on the button unnecessarily, and are made to think why they are suggesting the thread.
ocalhoun
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Why not assign someone specifically to handle reports to take the load off someone else?

Well, not everybody can log in everyday. (and I'm not sure that anybody does.)

If the designated report-handler took a break for a few days, things could get messy, but since several people handle reports, the new reports get taken care of sooner.
LittleBlackKitten
But wouldn't it still lighten the load a bit? Some progress is better than none. Can't other moderators help when the assigned one takes a break, or when there is a language they don't understand? Surely it's not an exact science, and it would give means to make your idea work better.
Asap170
Why don't you do something where u can give points to a topic and "X" amount of points will get it put on teh feature discussion on the front page.