FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to quit smoking?????

assh8
Hi, i'am a student doing proffesional course. Am suffering from a very serious issue which is very dangerous to my career as well as my health.. I started smoking from the age of 15. In the beginning, it was 5 per day..but now it is 12-15 per day.. I am not able to sit even for 2 hours without smoking i feel restless and shivering..i usually bunk classes for smoking. The class time is from morrning to evening.. I wish to get rid of this habit. Can anyone advice??
ankur2010
Thats really a serious problem.... Crying or Very sad

Well...The only solution seems is go to a psychatrist or a doctor and consult him...

Another thing is that whenever you know bad results of something you are never forced to do that..
go to youtube...search out for the videos 'HARMFULL EFFECTS OF SMOKING'...tjere you will get a lot of videos by foreign doctors and people who have tried to show the reality about what happens inside the body when you smoke...
How it affects your lungs,heart and brain cerebellum... Shocked

You will shock to know these things... Embarassed
after watching i think you can control yourslef by reminiscing those videos as what you are going to do to your body if you are gonna smoke one more... Wink

so try it... Razz
assh8
U really mean it's a psyche problem? Sad Have learnt that it takes a lot of will power to overcome this dreadful habit?? (I definitely lack it, though!) Well, plan to give a try to all possible things...e-cigs / cold turkey to start with, maybe. But what about success rates? any advices?? Need definite support from others/ people who have already been in my situation before as it's even more difficult to do it alone..... will keep posted of of any progress (if at all) made............
kitsrock
You have several ways to go about this problem.

Option 1. Divide and conquer.
Addiction to smoking can be divided to two parts, addiction to nicotine and habit.
You can either choose to stop the habit first with nicotine patch or gum etc, and once you kick the habit move onto the nicotine addiction.
Or, you can choose to tackle the nicotine first with e-cigs (where legal) that doesn't have any nicotine in it, and kick the oral fixation or habit later.

Option 2. Quitting gradually
I personally found this to never work, but if your physical dependence to nicotine is severe, you may wish to opt for this. Set a schedule and start cutting down your smoking gradually, and hope you get it down to 2-3 smokes a day when you can try to quit for good.

Option 3. Cold turkey
Just as it sounds. Pick a week where you don't have a lot to do, and just go cold turkey. My reaction to cold turkey was extreme crankiness for first 3 days (I snapped at a kid who bumped into me on the streets) and drowsiness for the next 4~5 days. The urge lingers as long as a month, but it gets easier as time goes on.

I strongly urge option 3. But whichever you choose, it is always a good idea to have someone help you pull through this, constantly checking up on you etc..
menino
I agree that smoking is a bad habit, and most of my friends smoke, and want to kick the habit, but cannot.
Some of my friends have quit for sometime and then have started again.
One of my friends who was an avid smoker, finally quit beginning of this year, and he still has not started as yet.... but he smokes sheesha either for an hour a day in the evenings, every weekend.
I also smoke sheesha sometimes, but am not addicted to it, but people say sheesha is more harmful than cigarettes.

But my friend went cold turkey to quit the habit, and that is the best way to go, as I agree with kitsrock here, and a lot of other people who have advised people who smoke.
I know it is a difficult habit to break, but good luck, and hope you kick it off.
Remember also, that once you quit, never think you can control it again, because once you start again, after you quit, it is really difficult to stop again, and gets more difficult later on.
The main incentive for people to stop smoking, is when they have a health ailment, and doctors advise not to smoke, but usually the health issue is caused by smoking....
So I don't mean to be self-serving, but prevention is better than the cure....
mengshi200
at first ,you must know smoking have a magic power.you can not overcome it easy.
and must know this habbit is very bad for your health and other thing.
under this condition,you pay attention to build a new strong interesting habbit to replace it. hope you success to say good bye to smoking!
Yola
1. tear off all contacts with presons who smoke.
2. just quit.
LittleBlackKitten
If you think it's an oral thing, which is part of your issue on top of a nicotine issue, try using quit aids like Nicorette or some such habits. But, for the oral part, my mom used cinnamon sticks. They have the right size and weight in a rougher sense, and is very good for you and your blood, has that mild spice/burn that smokes do, and it melts with your saliva and makes a tasty treat!
assh8
Thanks for that helpful post, kitsrock....but have heard that quitting cold turkey becomes difficult later on? (as you also experienced). Confused Dunno if I have guts to do that....Well, have presently opted for the option 2 you have mentioned. Also heard from experiences of other friends that slow withdrawal might give lesser cessation effects. Going thru' some other sites too (for help), learnt that it's good to have a good exercise workout plan included, that might keep motivated and feeling light about it.
ooh! and Yola, hope the whole thing would be that easy Wink .Thanks anyways for that!
kitsrock
Hm. I'm not sure what you mean by getting difficult over time.

Difficulty wise, cutting down gradually does seem easier, but it also seems to have a higher failure rate.

Something I forgot to mention: even if you're successful at quitting you still need to keep alert for three months. My doctor told me a lot of people go back to smoking around the third month, thinking they could have it under control. This simply isn't the case.

Hope you haven't fallen off your wagon yet. Smile
Abhishukla
well that is really a bad habit, i suggest you talk to doctor, take his/her advice and give a try to yoga.
yoga is the best medicine to cure many such disease.
assh8
Hmmm.... staying quit for long is surely the most challenging. Shocked
Happened to read this article about one Eric Eraly who has another method of 'Mental Switch' to suggest. (http://www.lets-find-out.com/health/former-chain-smoker-and-today-renowned-european-stop-smoking-guru-eric-eraly-launches-an-online-stop-smoking-program/). Saw a few of his videos too.... Somehow seemed like an interesting person to me, for that helpful attitude....dunno how effective his method would be. Rolling Eyes
'am trying to stick to a reduced count of 10 a day ....along with a newly introduced morning walk (just 3 days into it!) Smile
menino
Abhishukla wrote:
well that is really a bad habit, i suggest you talk to doctor, take his/her advice and give a try to yoga.
yoga is the best medicine to cure many such disease.

Yoga is a good way to try and control your feelings, and can help to quit smoking, but one of my friends who did yoga only quit for a week, so I guess it will depend from person to person, and is worth a try.
deanhills
Wish I could quit food! As I love food. And can relate to those who love their cigarettes. How can one seriously let go of something that one really craves? At least with food there is such an enormous variety, and if one changes choices of food and has a good lifestyle to match, such as taking regular exercise and enjoying some outdoor hobbies, one can be healthy and still eat lots, but I can't really see a viable substitute for cigarette smokers. One has to have a really compelling reason such as a chronic disease and that would probably be much worse, as it is easier to let go of a bad habit if one knows one has a freedom of choice in it, than to be under pressure from a doctor to give it up.
jwellsy
Sooner or later you have to go cold turkey. Teasing your body & mind with smaller doses of nicotine prolongs the withdrawals.
prinsloo
A friend of mine quit smoking through sudden cold turkey. From 20 sticks a day, she stopped at once to zero. Smoking less and less each day doesn't help, according to some researches. But it could be wrong, too...
ham65
Belive in GOD,and think positive man,try do something for you,and iīm sure you will forget that,and will stop smoking.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Thomasr
Smoking also poses serious hazards to people around, such as the risk of starting a fire, passive smoking, etc. That is why governments around the world have banned smoking in public places.The reason that smoking is such a hard habit to break is the fact that nicotine is an addictive substance. The benefits of quitting smoking are far reaching.
Angelica1
Meditation will help a lot in the fight against the craving for nicotine. Think about the harmful effects of smoking when you feel to do so. You can take the help of his family and friends to avoid this habit. It will be very difficult to stop this habit in a row, but can gradually reduce the number of cigarettes smoked.
assh8
Hi friends!! A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU. Hope we succeed in our resolution to stay quit this new year. LOL Wink
assh8
How true it is, that we always find some reason to smoke and keep postponing the quit fearing the method may fail...... or keep expecting the painful feelings if we miss out once!!?? Self analysis, in a way, seems to be helping me to a good extent these days.
Thomasr
Everyone knows that smoking can cause cancer when you get older, but did you know that it also has bad effects on your body right now? A cigarette contains about 4000 chemicals, and at least 43 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer in humans. Some of the other chemicals are found in products that are known to be poisonous.
assh8
Sorry guys couldn't keep you posted regarding my progress...for the past 10 days i am trying to keep me away from cigar.. Very Happy
Cliffer
i smoked when i was in uninversity,but now i don't smoke. i want to keep my body healthy,i join some sports,i play badminton,volleyball,and sometimes swim,i think maybe if you find something interested,and spend much time to do it,and you realize that smoking is not good to your body,then you can change your mind to forget smoking.
greamelexon
Smoking is a bad addict. This is very affected on your health. The act of smoking is based on a daily ritual at the same time, the nicotine in cigarettes provides a temporary basis, and high dependency. For many people, an important aspect of quitting is to find ways to manage those difficult feelings without smoking. If you want to stop smoking, one thing you always remember. It should be affect on your health early days.
mengshi200
You can try to control your desire ,for example diet and sex etc.yoga is help you doing it,because yoga let your heart into silence status,so your desire is controlled.if you can control your desire successfully.congratulation you,you can control your smoking of desire gradually.besides you can change and transfer your interesing point,this is aid way.
assh8
Hi friends, would definitely like to share my success story till date....hoping to continue with the quit way, till I'm completely out of it! Very Happy
Step 1: I was very definite and sure that I had to give-up smoking for good. Everybody here knows how bad smoking is, in the long run!
Step 2: I got some help from some books and web-articles on quit smoking. This video I went thru', at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxnpsuEtajg definitely helped me to a great extent.
Step 3: I got good group support from many such forums. Keeps me motivated all thru'
Step 4: If ever I sometimes feel like giving up, and light a cigar, Confused I just try to adopt the technique mentioned in that video, or log-into forums for some motivation or distract myself by listening to some relaxing music.....
And here I'm, enjoying my success till date!!! Wink Just hope that other quitters also get some motivation and benefit from this !!
inuyasha
It's a bit hard to quite smoking. My father tried to for several times, without luck. But I do know someone around me successfully did. As far as I'm concerned, it's just something related to your perseverance. If you wish, you can.
assh8
Friends, afterall...quitting is not as tough as we think! It's over a month now, and my perseverance paid. Truly said, inuyasha.... maybe it's the will / determination that matters most..... or probably all that support you get from others? True that I found it tough at the begining, but things get easier with time. Angel
connor
According to me take advice from your doctor about nicotine replacement methods.For stop smoking Nicotine gum, patches, spray, and some new medications can really helpful for people.
riderwear45
Thank you for your e-mail kitsrock .... but I felt that the cold turkey after the killing, the more difficult? (And experts). Confused I know if I have the courage to do .... Well, that's currently selected option 2, you have mentioned. Also heard the experiences of others who might make the suspension of the effects of a slow withdrawal less. Through "some other places too (help) knows that it is good to be a good exercise program that included exercise might be motivated and feel the light on it.
riderwear45
First, you should know that smoking has a power.you magic can not solve easily.

and it is necessary that this is a habbit extremely harmful to health and another thing.

This condition, take care to build a strong new interesting habbit to replace. We hope that the success of saying goodbye to smoke!
nigam
its a self discipline.....i used to smoke during my teenage years, but now i don't.....it was easy for me to quit that time...
assh8
Basically, it is the proper understanding ... as to how extremely harmful smoking actually is. It can cost us our life!! Why continue something knowing it is harmful in the long run??
Smile
cliffkelly
Tell family, friends, and co-workers that you plan to quit. Remove cigarettes and other tobacco products from your home, car, and work.
icool
assh8 wrote:
Friends, afterall...quitting is not as tough as we think! It's over a month now, and my perseverance paid. Truly said, inuyasha.... maybe it's the will / determination that matters most..... or probably all that support you get from others? True that I found it tough at the begining, but things get easier with time. Angel

congrats on quitting smoking. All the best for your future. Just bear this in mind that we didnt have bad habits from birth , we learn them, we could also leave them. adopt a different habit tats good
baileykruse
You try to control it.yoga is help you doing it,because yoga let your heart into silence status,so your desire is controlled.if you can control your desire successfully.
dracyruiz
Smoking is harmful for health. Smoking is become to reason of many disease like heart disease, cancer and so on. There are many ways to quit smoking like first of all yoga is best way for quit smoking as well as people decide to your self, follow your hobby, spent time with family and so on.
assh8
Being a struggler in keeping my promise to quit smoking, I have found the following blog offering free videos very helpful. [url] http://bit.ly/ldaPhw[/url] . Maybe these would help others like me!
GoldenEagle
marryjacob22 wrote:
The only solution is to go to a psychatrist or a doctor and consult him about the problem.

I really doubt this. Many people are able to focus on resisting their urges and are successful. It's not easy, but in essence all you need to do is not smoke. It's not that you don't WANT to smoke; you just don't do it.
watersoul
GoldenEagle wrote:
marryjacob22 wrote:
The only solution is to go to a psychatrist or a doctor and consult him about the problem.

I really doubt this. Many people are able to focus on resisting their urges and are successful. It's not easy, but in essence all you need to do is not smoke. It's not that you don't WANT to smoke; you just don't do it.

Agree with you there, but notice the spammy sig of newb marryjacob22?
GoldenEagle
watersoul wrote:
GoldenEagle wrote:
marryjacob22 wrote:

Agree with you there, but notice the spammy sig of newb marryjacob22?

Did you try quoting it? It's actually in the body. So when Mary makes a easily refutable point (like she did), it doubles the number of links that appear on the site! I don't know if it was an accident, but it worked (for spamming at least)
celebi269
The only solution: You.

You need to stop smoking yourself. You don't need any professional to stop you from smoking. You need to have determination and the will to quit.

Personal experience: I have a friend who was like you, he's also 15 when he started smoking. It was just 6 months when he smoked. So me and my other friends decided to force him to stop. Slowly (but definitely), we helped him. The experience was very frustrating because addiction was really hard to battle. But at the end, with the help of himself, he quit smoking and basketball is his new vice.

You have to help yourself because you're the only one who can stop it. Smoking will just destroy your body, slowly but surely.
sudipbanerjee
why should I quit smoking?
gandalfthegrey
Whenever I have difficultly overcoming something such as a bad habit, I'll get my friends or my wife to punish me and make my life miserable until I change the thing. It really works. I've been able to help my best friend change her habit of being untidy and unorganized, it has helped to on becoming more social (i.e. my friends or wife would hit me everytime they caught me not smiling in public). Sounds extreme, but the buddy system really works.
TimSouthee
Smoking is not good for health and its better to be quit and it has side effects
and it leads to lungs cancer and as well as mouth cancer. Tobacco have nicotine
which causes some of illness like TB, Stress, Depression etc.
vidafenomenal
always get some chewing gum.
Zenith21
I am regular smokers and want to quit smoking, I have tried many treatments
but prove fail. Please help me and suggest me for quit smoking.
myqute
Update: Created a list of 8 things you can do in an easy to read manner. Check out my newer post below!

Easy to quite smoking actually! EVERYTIME you feel you need to reach out for a stick of cigarette, pay US$500 to your colleague, mum/dad or spouse!

While quitting smoking, eat nuts and fresh fruits. Exercise to help you quickly overcome withdrawal effects.

Forget about e-cigarettes or smokeless cigarettes, they still contain cancer-casing glycol compounds. Also forget about NO SMOKING skin patches that deliver nicotine to you via skin. Go COLD TURKEY is the most effective.

And do let your friends know so they too can avoid letting you smell 2nd-hand smoke!
shivaghimire
I am 24 now. Till date I haven't smoke a single stick, even I haven't taste. I don't like its smoke too. I don't have any personal experience but I think you need to keep something chewing like chewing gum, chocolates and others like that and don't think I need smoke. Probably, your mind always think about smoking so try to divert your mind. Next thing, how is your company? friend circle might be smokers. This type of company pull and puss towards such habit. Try to be in in the group who don't smoke.
myqute
Hello Assh8! I can offer you a few tips on how to quit smoking:

1. Gradually decrease number of cigarettes you smoke per day or go cold turkey.
2. Make sure your boss, friends and colleagues know you are quitting the smoking habit. They will be more likely to avoid smoking in your presence (you'll be less tempted to smoke too).
3. Surround yourself with fresh fruits and nuts (may be take a box of fruits to work). Anytime you feel the urge to smoke, eat them. My fav are almonds, pistachio nuts, macademias, peanuts.
4. Pay a non-refundable fine to a parent or sibling for every stick of cigarette you reach out to. Like US$500 or US$1,000. Not kidding - it works.
5. Beware of anti-smoking nicotine patches. Nicotine is just delivered to you in a different way (you are still "poisoned"!)
6. Also beware of e-cigarettes or smokeless cigarettes. The FDA has warned against the glycol and other cancer-causing ingredients in them.
7. Close yourself in a dark room and envision that your body and skin are healing without the presence of toxic from cigarettes. Do this 5 minutes a day.
8. Take up a new hobby like trampoline-jumping or golf. The activity will help take your mind away from smoking.

Hope this helps!
ankur209
Don't but a cigg ! so you won't be having anything to smoke ! Simple ! Razz

C'mon self motivation and will is the only thing you need in order to quit !
Michealleo
Hi everyone . i have tried everything read books ,taken pills, patches, i have been trying smoke deter it says it replaces some of the needs rather than cold turkey,its a spray,you use a couple of times a day,it really has been helping, this is the longest i have gone without, at the moment they are doing an offer with two free bottles,it costs but it really is working. Hopefully some day u will egt rid of it too . BEst of luck
congra
to quick smoking is hard for people who smoking for a long time. try to smoking less day by day . don't put money at your hand , maybe it can reduce your smoking frequency. besides, let people get after you.
magnustoday
Cold turkey is always more effective than gradual taper. Success rate is higher.

You can also use medicines (varenicline) for that. Ask your doctor about it.
mukesh
Depend on you if you want to not use smoke in any comdition ten you automatic quite.
suitza
I quit smoking with nicotine gum. I started to lower the amount of cigs per day and then I changed to gum. I did same thing with the gum, started to slowly decrease the amount. And then changed to regular gum. It worked on me. It helps a lot if you have a friend or somebody close who quits at the same time. Start training (running, gym or something) at the same time and you will get something to fill the empty space that quiting leaves. Smile
D'Artagnan
my father quit after 20 year smoking, it's hard , the best i can say is to try to make your family understand your irritation.

a very good motivation is your health, even after he stoped his lungs are weak, imagine if he kept smoking, he would probably had developed an emphysema
KND1510
substitute candy for a cigarette
lrj945
The FDA has warned against the glycol and other cancer-causing ingredients in them.
7. Close yourself in a dark room and envision that your body and skin are healing without the presence of toxic from cigarettes. Also forget about NO SMOKING skin patches that deliver nicotine to you via skin. Go COLD TURKEY is the most effective. I'll get my friends or my wife to punish me and make my life miserable until I change the thing. It really works. I've been able to help my best friend change her habit of being untidy and unorganized, it has helped to on becoming more social (i.e. my friends or wife would hit me everytime they caught me not smiling in public). Sounds extreme, but the buddy system really works.
magnustoday
start psychologically. why would you want to quit smoking? then tell yourself the disadvantages of smoking that you'd want to quit smoking. once you're done with that. QUIT cold turkey, that's the only way to go.