FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What happened to the Hobbit?

loyal
Hey guys,

They were going to make the Hobbit a few years ago, then they stopped. Then I heard it's back on? What happened there?

Peace.
recked
Finances haha!
Last I heard they were filming in New Zealand?
rogue_skydragon
For the past couple years it's been a never-ending rollercoaster of obstacles for production on The Hobbit. Apparently, there was a short-lived actors' strike hindered the production from hiring actors locally (within New Zealand), and so they had to wait a while to get the hiring sorted out. After that, MGM said they'd finance the film only if it shot solely in the United States, which Peter Jackson didn't agree with since his strongest filmmaking resources/support is based at Wellington, NZ.

Because of frustrating financial issues and scheduling setbacks, Guillermo Del Toro had to back out as the Director of the film, and that left the production in limbo for about a month or two. Then Peter Jackson finally stepped up to assume Directorial duties for the films (as he should!).

Finally, financing, casting, and scheduling have been sorted out, and production on The Hobbit: Part 1 is currently under way, with a projected release in December 2012!

That's the cheat sheet verson...I am sure there were many other things that hindered the production.
snowboardalliance
rogue_skydragon wrote:
For the past couple years it's been a never-ending rollercoaster of obstacles for production on The Hobbit. Apparently, there was a short-lived actors' strike hindered the production from hiring actors locally (within New Zealand), and so they had to wait a while to get the hiring sorted out. After that, MGM said they'd finance the film only if it shot solely in the United States, which Peter Jackson didn't agree with since his strongest filmmaking resources/support is based at Wellington, NZ.

Because of frustrating financial issues and scheduling setbacks, Guillermo Del Toro had to back out as the Director of the film, and that left the production in limbo for about a month or two. Then Peter Jackson finally stepped up to assume Directorial duties for the films (as he should!).

Finally, financing, casting, and scheduling have been sorted out, and production on The Hobbit: Part 1 is currently under way, with a projected release in December 2012!

That's the cheat sheet verson...I am sure there were many other things that hindered the production.

Wow, nice summary on what's going on. I remember hearing about this years ago, good to hear that it will eventually be made, even if that's a long time away.
Radar
Mmm, I'm impressed if this is actually going to be made, given the incredibly long time that it has been talked about.
loyal
Radar wrote:
Mmm, I'm impressed if this is actually going to be made, given the incredibly long time that it has been talked about.

Ditto.

Thanks for the summary, rogue_skydragon. Sounds like you've been keenly following the progress of that film.

Peace.
gandalfthegrey
Hooray! At least it is being made. In my opinion The Hobbit is a much better story than the Lord of the Rings.
Radar
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Hooray! At least it is being made. In my opinion The Hobbit is a much better story than the Lord of the Rings.

It's a simpler story, with more innocence. Perhaps it's more fun. Certainly it is more of a straightforward quest. I don't know about better though.
loyal
Radar wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

It's a simpler story, with more innocence. Perhaps it's more fun. Certainly it is more of a straightforward quest. I don't know about better though.

I agree with that. The book is alot more fun than the trilogy (there doesn't seem to be much happiness or laughter in the trilogy), but the trilogy is more epic and more deep than the Hobbit. Neverthless, it will be interesting to see how the film compares with the films of the trilogy.

Peace.
D'Artagnan
last thing i know it was promissed for 2012, before the end of the world!
driftingfe3s
rogue_skydragon wrote:

Thanks for that. I had been wondering what had happened to the movie for some time now.

Any idea how they will be splitting the movie? Will it be in three parts?
rogue_skydragon
The Hobbit will be split in two parts, and will be shot in 3D using RED Epic Cameras.
loyal
I just found this site http://the-hobbit-movie.com/ for news about The Hobbit movie. I'm quite excited to see this movie. It should be quite good considering how good the Lord of the Rings triology films were.

Peace.
gverutes
Agreed. Peter Jackson is the man.
missdixy
Wow, I had completely forgotten about this movie! I'm glad that it's back on but man, it still seems so far away!! Surprised
loyal
gverutes wrote:

He seems to take on projects that are guarenteed to succeed. But yes he is good.
LostOverThere
loyal wrote:
gverutes wrote:

He seems to take on projects that are guarenteed to succeed. But yes he is good.

Except for the Lovely Bones. Eh?
adri
Glad to know that the movie will still be produced. Smile I liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy and am looking forward to this story which happens in the same world as LOTR. (I guess, I didn't read the book :/ )

adri
loyal
LostOverThere wrote:
loyal wrote:
gverutes wrote:

True. That failed to make a significant impact, I guess. But then the storyline of that book wasn't that great either.
missdixy
loyal wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
loyal wrote:
gverutes wrote:

True. That failed to make a significant impact, I guess. But then the storyline of that book wasn't that great either.

No idea that was Peter Jackson. I loved the book but the movie was so disappointing.
Radar
Six months later, and I still feel like when this movie comes out, I'm going to sit in the cinema with this feeling like I'm witnessing the impossible, or in a dream, or something.
Tesa323
Wow they are taking to long to release it :/
rogue_skydragon
Yeah, it is taking them quite a while. But remember, if Peter Jackson and his team don't take their time and get this right the first time, no one will. They've just released a slew of new promo photos showing off the Dwarf characters, and I must say that I am getting more and more stoked each time a new photo is release. The film is looking great already.
portoskt
next year, i think
mgeek
I've read the book. I didn't know there was a movie being done based on it. I sure hope production would push through. The target date is December 2012? Worth the wait...
loyal
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Yeah, it is taking them quite a while. But remember, if Peter Jackson and his team don't take their time and get this right the first time, no one will. They've just released a slew of new promo photos showing off the Dwarf characters, and I must say that I am getting more and more stoked each time a new photo is release. The film is looking great already.

All their practice with Lord of the Rings should mean this film is awesome
rogue_skydragon
Prepare to jizz yourself - the official HD trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is now online!
Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPNb8k11-xU&list=LLjC70wR7JSZ_1OZ_MNJ3n8w&feature=mh_lolz
Radar
Martin Freeman as the Hobbit.

Potentially, good choice.
loyal
Trailer looks okay. Hopefully the experience they've had in making lord of the rings should make the Hobbit even better.
Blummer
Trailer is magnificent. And dwarves' song gives shivers. I'm happy to live in era when Hobbit is finally being filmed.
Blummer
So anyone seen the production videos (5 of them so far) and other related stuff?
rogue_skydragon
The second official trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is now online! Click the below link to head straight to the website, where you can select alternative trailer endings...

http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html
Blummer
I'm really happy with this trailer. Previous one actually was just a teaser. This one is the real trailer. Quite colourful and as far as I'm concerned, this is because of book's tone - which itself is not as dark as Lord of the rings. Well I can't say much about casting, but I can say I like almost every actor and I can never say anything bad about Freeman, as well as McKellen - I can't imagine anyone else. There are some other characters, one of them is Radagast - he is originally in Lotr book, but they played a bit and put him in this film. Rolling Eyes Not bad - he seems to be quite comic guy, played by Sylvester McCoy.
rogue_skydragon
The release date is fast approaching. I'm so friggin excited!!!! I feel as if no one in this forum shares the same enthusiasm as I do for The Hobbit and for the LOTR universe. If I'm wrong, someone prove it!

I've already purchased my tickets to a screening here in Los Angeles. I'm seeing it in IMAX 3D High Frame Rate of course Wink
Radar
I like that this was the anticipation thread for the movie, and now that the movie's appeared, it's been abandoned in favour of the newer threads.

The life cycle of forum threads.
johans
we will wait for part 2 to release then we will see what happens.. excited to watch this together with my son.
Laughing
Blummer
The DVD is out, but nothing too serious on it in terms of bonuses. Will wait for extended edition they have literally promised to release.
ayasarsaf
I look forward to watch it.
Blummer
So I finally watched it. Worth watching, but I haven't made up my mind yet to decide whether the changes from the book are ok or not. There are too many ones.
Blummer
So after week or so I think the film is OK. Being a Tolkien reader myself I should've been more critical, but I still think one should keep on mind a film is a film and there are enough nice designs and characters and even music (it is slightly different from the epic Lotr score, but it's still epic).
Blummer
So here's the teaser to the final film