FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

eReaders?

jwellsy
I'm thinking of getting someone an eReader for Christmas. But I'm overwhelmed with the choices. Any thoughts on eReaders like a Kindle or that new large format itouch?

Which one would be cheapest to get fiction books for it?
jwellsy
Being the cheap SOB that I am, scoped out the ebookailble from our library systems and found that Kindles and iPads are incompatible with our library DRM. Models that are compatible are:
- Sony Readers
- Barnes & Noble NOOK Readers
- KOBO
- Literati
- Pandigital Novel
- pc laptops and netbooks
- macs
http://overdrive.com/resources/drc/compatibleebookdevices.aspx

So, I'll probably stay with something on this list.
weableandbob
I would personally go for a cheap netbook or laptop because it gives you added functionality along with being able to be used as an eReader
william
I'm not so sure I would agree with that. I never liked the idea of eBook readers replacing the physical book, just because it feels so unnatural when I'm reading a book on a screen (I've done it on both a laptop and a smartphone). However, I just tried out the Barnes & Noble NOOK, and the screen is just what it should be. It's easy on the eyes, and actually feels like you're reading a page from a book. Just for the screen, I feel the dedicated eBook readers work out better than a netbook or laptop. Plus, it's harder to hold a netbook/laptop like a book.
snowboardalliance
william wrote:
I'm not so sure I would agree with that. I never liked the idea of eBook readers replacing the physical book, just because it feels so unnatural when I'm reading a book on a screen (I've done it on both a laptop and a smartphone). However, I just tried out the Barnes & Noble NOOK, and the screen is just what it should be. It's easy on the eyes, and actually feels like you're reading a page from a book. Just for the screen, I feel the dedicated eBook readers work out better than a netbook or laptop. Plus, it's harder to hold a netbook/laptop like a book.

That's the same reason I'm considering an eReader as well rather than a tablet/netbook. eInk seems to be a good idea for reading
FunDa
jwellsy wrote:
Being the cheap SOB that I am, scoped out the ebookailble from our library systems and found that Kindles and iPads are incompatible with our library DRM. Models that are compatible are:
- Sony Readers
- Barnes & Noble NOOK Readers
- KOBO
- Literati
- Pandigital Novel
- pc laptops and netbooks
- macs
http://overdrive.com/resources/drc/compatibleebookdevices.aspx

So, I'll probably stay with something on this list.

That doesn't look like much.
Have a look at the new Nook. But I would prefer to have a multi-function device like an iPad or Galzcy Tablet or Adam PixelQ.

So, if this was the list offered, I would stick with the netbook option ... Sad