FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Path to faith

iyepes
Many people, me included, can tell about going through a path to faith. A chain of events or sometimes people whom lead you back to faith.

In my case, my path crossed by a relationship with a married man, to a friend of mine who started preaching to me, to my mom praying for me every day, to a day i decided to read the bible from Genesis to Apocalypse, to going to prayer groups and becoming a servant in Catholic church.

How has been your path to get where you are now? mine is in progress as I see it.
Bluedoll
I was not well liked doing tax collecting, was walking down the road minding my own business, when a light blinded me. I was told to go tell the people to change but got scared and went the other way then had a whale of an idea. I’m just a fisherman, why me? I am really meek is it me you really want? I am just boy going against a giant. I am a common unwedded virgin, inexperienced, how can I . . .?

So many I find look to churches for inspiration or to other people on their way and this is very fine. Some get what I’ve heard described as a calling. I think we should all be as the bible says good examples for others to imitate.

I’ve not been a good example always in my life. I’ve done many stupid things, some things I am ashamed of. Even still, I try to do the right thing but still I mess up. This has been my journey.
jeffryjon
In the sense of a spiritual/religious sense, I would suspect that many didn't make a sudden jump into faith. In my case, it was a calling of sorts but even then it didn't develop into a faith overnight. I was probably more sceptical that many atheists in the beginning and this scepticism took a long time and a multitude of events etc to be removed. Mistakes are normal as most people have their habits and 'crutches' to keep life pleasurable/bearable and they don'y leave so easily. I've been on the path (so to speak) for over 15 years and there are still occasions where old habits raise their heads.
deanhills
I have never followed a path, unless one can say one's life is a path For me it has always been there.
Ankhanu
I've had the idea for a thread very similar to this written down in a text file for me to start at a later time when I had more time to write it (this has taken a couple days to piece together as it is, working in bits here and there)… you beat me to the punch. At least my other topic idea for the Faith forum is still available for me to start. Wink

My situation is not quite a path to faith, but rather a path from faith... but I think it fits with the concept of the OP... if not, a mod can move it to its own thread with a title like "personal conversion" or something.

I was born to a nominally Anglican Christian family, and did go to church and Sunday school and all that jazz when I was pretty young, though going to church tailed off a few years before my teens. I had a generalized belief in God until I was about 10 or 12, and even recall making the occasional prayer... though generally for materialistic reasons.

As I began to enter my early teens, my faith in God pretty much just died. There was no real reason for the lapse, it just faded; there was no reason to consider God anymore, so I didn't. My complete faithlessness persisted until my late teens, when I started considering spirituality again. It was now that I saw more religions in the world than just Protestant and Catholic Christianity and occasional exposure to Judaism... I saw some of the various Eastern paths, various "pagan" faiths, shamanism, animism, deism, et cetera.

Being a fellow who felt that he possessed a certain amount of "spirituality", I began down a path of exploration and consideration of all these paths, as well as the broader scope of the Abrahamic religions. Druidism, Wicca, eclecticism, deism, flavours of Buddhism, Tao… I experimented and learned. I came to dislike Christianity, but, as I moved towards deism, I began to appreciate Christianity (and the other Abrahamic religions) as I began to synthesize religious beliefs and distill them.

I was able to find "spirituality" all around me by picking and choosing elements of the various religions, with heavy leanings towards Tao and Buddhism… but, in time, I found it all falling flat. Throughout it all, I found myself having a very hard time accepting the concept of a personal deity. I was able to work with the idea of divinity, but not deity… almost a Star Wars Force concept, but, ya know, not Wink Slowly, that transformed again to the point that any concept of divinity is completely unnecessary. "Spirituality" is simply appreciation and awe for the natural forces around us… it doesn't require any kind of binding concept or connection to develop. Though I held on to a fairly strong agnosticism for a long time, it was within the past two years that I was sitting and just realized, "nope, I'm atheist. I simply don't believe these things anymore." It really was quite a sudden realization of a gradual process of unbelief. I'd come full circle. I'd tried spirituality, and I tried it in honest earnestness… and, ultimately, I found it completely lacking.

I suppose the fact that I've always been a lad of biology didn't hinder my acceptance of the lack of divinity. Even as a child I had a love of the natural world, of organisms and how they live… this brought me quite naturally to my adult life of being an ecologist/organismal biologist. Interest in the natural world, an inquisitive mind and the desire to learn and understand things brought me readily to understand how the things that most attribute to the supernatural are completely natural. That they are completely natural does nothing to detract from the wonder, the awe, the appreciation of what those things are… in fact, it's brought me even more appreciation of those things, as I understand them better and they bring me even more questions to consider.
agbor
In the sense of a spiritual/religious sense,
I would suspect that many didn't make a sudden jump into faith.
In my case, it was a calling of sorts but even then it didn't develop into a faith overnight.
I was probably more sceptical that many atheists in the beginning and this scepticism took a long time and a multitude of events etc to be removed. Mistakes are normal as most people have their habits and 'crutches' to keep life pleasurable/bearable and they don'y leave so easily. I've been on the path (so to speak) for over 15 years and there are still occasions where old habits raise their heads.
these are the words of my friend here.
I have faith in christ
agbor
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth
Meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.
Then you will be prosperous and successful
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged,
The LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
i so much trust in our God.
myfreedom
Our faith is very inpiortant. dats the only way forward..

We must put our faith trully on God tio move forward...

People put their faith in many gods but the true God is trully the onlyone.

I will alwayas stand for him..
Ankhanu
This XKCD comic from a few days back is kinda relevant to what I'd posted previously in the thread, and is pretty funny Smile