FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Christmas Songs

seventhheaven
Got to be one of my favourites....
the lyrics written in latin in the 1100s !
the melody.. prob French... written in the 1200s.....

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.

The Latin was translated into English by John Mason Neale in 1851.
deanhills
I don't mind Christmas songs when people get together and sing them, but when I go to my local store and I hear exactly the same ones over and over again, from the same tape that played over and over the previous year and the year before, and is beginning to sound as though the tape has been stretched, then it gets a bit irritating. If it can be played with other songs and made a bit more subtle, maybe I will listen to it with a kinder ear. But I've just found myself during my last shopping expedition to this same store, completely blocking them out.

That is just me of course, as I have friends who at the beginning of the season pack out all of their Christmas song DVDs, for use at home and for use in their cars and at work. They love it.

So probably each to their own then ..... Smile
seventhheaven
nice version of the 12 cent carol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcp5uKYvmAo
deanhills
I thought the production below of "Come Com Emanuelle" is really great, violin and piano ..... nice vibes. I just love violin, and they did a good job of it as well:

LittleBlackKitten
I agree with Deanhils. I find the overabundance of the same music (as of Novemeber 13th where I am) the same 200 songs over and over and OVER repeating the same damn songs everywhere you go to be totally unequivicably undebatably DETESTABLE! It has made me HATE the Christmas season and all the stores and the malls; I still love CHRISTMAS and the spirit of it and the celebration of Jesus' birth, but the overabundance of music and cheer grates one's nerves and makes one go totally crazy! I avoid shops as much as possible after halloween straight through until January. Thankfully, places like pet stores, food stores, and banks don't play it, otherwise no one would eat and the bills wouldn't get paid Laughing
seventhheaven
Gaudete! gaudete! Christus est natus ex Maria Virgine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vryl9QicJk
LittleBlackKitten
My husband and I were joking around and were going to go out carolling with the redneck christmas carols...

"Geeeeet a job you bum bum bum bum buuuuum! Money don't grow on trees you bum bum bum bum buuuuum!" (Little Drummer Boy) -My favorite one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChG0PCCeX4
standready
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Thankfully, places like pet stores, food stores, and banks don't play it

Wish I could say the same here but sadly the Christmas music is everywhere here. It is already driving me crazy. Bring back the elevator music already!!
spring567
I like this song.
seventhheaven
spring567 wrote:
I like this song.

??????
Vrythramax
seventhheaven wrote:
spring567 wrote:
I like this song.

??????

I *think* they were talking about the song you mention in your OP (original post)
TurtleShell
O Come O Come Emmanuel is a great song. One of the best Christmas songs. Silent night, of course, is very good. O Holy Night kind of makes me bawl, which is not really a quality I appreciate although i think it's a beautiful song. And I've always been a big fan of the 12 days of Christmas.
prinsloo
I wish stores would play Carol of the Bells and My Grown Up Christmas List here more. The only ones I hear are Jingle Bells and the like. :/
adri
When I think of christmas songs, I always think of this song:

Wham - Last Christmas

adri
deanhills
Nice show Adri. I like the original version of "So this is Christmas" by John Lennon. The song is easy and has special vibes for me:
loyal
You know it's christmas when you hear christmas songs..
Scatch that. You know it's christmas when companies are adveristing the "ideal" christmas gifts months in advance...
deanhills
loyal wrote:
You know it's christmas when you hear christmas songs..
Scatch that. You know it's christmas when companies are adveristing the "ideal" christmas gifts months in advance...
Definitely the case here in the UAE, although they do it much later, as we first had Ramadan in August, then Eid Al Adha in November, then the UAE National Holiday on 2 December, and then immediately after that Christmas trees all over the place, but obviously mostly for commercial purposes. They are doing a good job however as the Christmas trees and decorations everywhere are very stylish. They even had an 11-million dollar Xmas tree at the Kempinsky Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi. The Hotel loaned 11-million dollar jewels to decorate the tree. Quite a lot of people protested with that one. I thought it was a bit of a waste and overdone as one could hardly see any of the jewels and it did not look much of a Christmas tree. Smile But it did get the attention of the world press however and put the Hotel on the international marketing map .... Wink Doubt I will be staying there though, just too expensive and much too ostentatious for me.
seventhheaven
yes I saw that xmas tree with 8 million worth of decorations...
we were all supposed to go wow in amazement....

Instead I thought of all the money Im handing over each week at
the petrol stations and I felt sick in my stomach.
deanhills
seventhheaven wrote:
Instead I thought of all the money Im handing over each week at
the petrol stations and I felt sick in my stomach.
Well .... the Kempinski is a Swiss chain of Hotels. And according to them the jewels were loaned, not purchased. But yes, I can see your point about money at petrol stations. Ironically the price of petrol has been going up here in the UAE too, but probably still dirt cheap in comparison.
http://www.kshitij.com/research/petrol.shtml
Cliffer
i like singing
Asap170
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
My husband and I were joking around and were going to go out carolling with the redneck christmas carols...

"Geeeeet a job you bum bum bum bum buuuuum! Money don't grow on trees you bum bum bum bum buuuuum!" (Little Drummer Boy) -My favorite one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XChG0PCCeX4

Is there something funny about rednecks? I think not!
LittleBlackKitten
Quote:
Is there something funny about rednecks? I think not!

No, since I am one...Am I not allowed to find redneck comedy funny?