FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Democracy?

Bluedoll
Suggestion: Allow member interaction by voting for a moderator of a specific section or sub section? Not sure what that implies from a technical perspective but is it worth consideration?

I have several interests in this post.

1) understanding board dynamics (how they work from a technical, social and functional perspective)
2) contributing if possible to a better spirit rather than grouping together for an all out ‘war’

We interrupt this program now with a wee bit of humour for the purpose of the Christmas Exchange!

User: “Will this post be sent into the stamp can by King Billy? Where is the stamp can anyway – never mind I don’t think I want to know that!”

King Billy: “I don’t like that word (Democracy) and it will not be used here ever again and if you don’t like it go ...”

User: “Geee, ahhh, I think King Billy got mad there!!” says user while pulling at the doorknob.

Now seriously folks:

3) is this worth discussing? Yes? No?

Still relatively young and interested in learning so if anyone, anyone . . . otherwise.

Rolling Eyes
catscratches
I don't think allowing the users to select the moderators is a good idéa since users would be likely to vote for whom they personally like rather than who would be actually fit for the job. Moderating isn't an easy task and I don't think most users are aware of just what it takes to be a good moderator. Hence, I think the staff that actually has some experience on the matter are more qualified to select new moderators.

Just my 5 cents.
deanhills
catscratches wrote:
I don't think allowing the users to select the moderators is a good idéa since users would be likely to vote for whom they personally like rather than who would be actually fit for the job.
This is Bondings' Website, and he obviously has the right to do as he wishes, but catscratches isn't that what Bondings is doing anyway? Selecting moderators that he likes personally? Quite a number of the Moderators for example have been inactive for ages, but are still considered full Moderators by him. He is incredibly loyal to his friends.

Ultimately of course it is always Bondings' decision to make, but I do support Bluedoll's suggestion of at least a little pretense of democracy. If Bluedoll had the Phil&Rel forum in mind when she made her suggestion, then obviously there is no contest there. But a pretense of voting would probably be good, and be rewarding and supportive of those who have a really solid presence in the Forum. Smile
Bluedoll
catscratches wrote:
I don't think allowing the users to select the moderators is a good idéa since users would be likely to vote for whom they personally like rather than who would be actually fit for the job. Moderating isn't an easy task and I don't think most users are aware of just what it takes to be a good moderator. Hence, I think the staff that actually has some experience on the matter are more qualified to select new moderators.

Just my 5 cents.
I agree, it is not an easy task and I do agree as well experience is the best teacher. My question however and it is a question, if a section “the fate of the gummy bears” is moderated by one of the fans of the aforementioned group would it mean an overall powertripping threat to the whole board?

What I am saying, God, these boards can be so mutteled and confusing at times is . . .

Bondings is in charge of the site.

The general of the elite army of the fifth guard are in charge of the board.
Yes SIR!

However the elected representatives (new bright little whimper snappers mods) look after the mouthy little sections and deal with pepper spraying with diplomacy.

Of course, if the little sections actually attract new members – what then?
Holy Lou Yah! Get out the new servers.

Promote Warbucks for creation of new toys in peacetime!
Bikerman
Moderators are chosen after careful discussion by the staff. Bondings does not simply select people he likes - in fact 'liking' a person is rarely a deciding factor in the selection process. When there is a need for a new moderator the entire staff are free to discuss the issue, nominate people and give their frank opinions about nominations in the staff forum. I can say, without breaking any confidences, that Bondings has gone with the general consensus in the decisions I have been party to and not forced his own choice through.
I think the current method is the best way*, and I cannot agree that any sort of pretence is ever a good thing. Allowing users to elect moderators would be a disaster. Several internet forums have tried that approach - I even tried it myself with a board I setup years ago. It meant various factions tried to get 'their person' elected, regardless of whether they were suitable for the role, and complaining bitterly if they failed. The end result was a weak and divided team of moderators, constantly arguing and undoing each-other's decisions. No good at all.

(And I thought that before I became a moderator, so it isn't just a case of supporting the status quo because it suits me).
Vrythramax
Unfortunatly as good as a full democracy sounds it isn't really viable in this type of situation. Let me give you an example:

The users vote 5 differant people to be invited (and that's what it comes down to...every mod here has been invited), now the forum doesn't need 5 mods..so what's to be done? Bondings has to decide who he feels would be best for the overall good...and the selection goes back to him. We are back to square one with Bondings choosing a new mod.

Just FYI, the mod selection process can sometimes take weeks or even months if the entire staff doesn't agree on the candidates. Every existing mod has the right to vote, and believe me this process can get heated. There are times when we cannot agree and the whole thing is tabled until we can find a suitable candidate. We have Staff forum here and we discuss everything related to the forums, website, members and what-all.

Many of the mods you *think* are not active anymore may have duties that keep them from posting a whole lot. I myself am a perfect example, I have handled literally thousands of hosting applications over the years, months may go by where I don't post in the forums, but that does not mean I am not active behind the scenes.

As for Bondings being loyal to his staff...yes he is, and rightly so. Every member of the staff, even the less popular ones, have been carefully selected to make sure they will act in an appropriate manner that not only is for the good of Frihost, but for the good of the users IN GENERAL.

Ours is a thankless task ladies and gentlemen, we enforce the rules and have to act as intermediaries between squabbles which does not exactly paint us in a good light to ALL users (few people like the police except when they need them).

The bottom line is this, we do have a democracy of sorts, we, the existing Language Mods, Global Mods, Account Creators and Admins ARE the representatives for the Forum as a whole..we act and vote for changes that will best serve the FORUM (the forum dies you don't have a place to complain at anymore), not the likes or dislikes of a handful of users.
Bluedoll
Vrythramax wrote:
Ours is a thankless task ladies and gentlemen, we enforce the rules and have to act as intermediaries between squabbles which does not exactly paint us in a good light to ALL users (few people like the police except when they need them).

The bottom line is this, we do have a democracy of sorts, we, the existing Language Mods, Global Mods, Account Creators and Admins ARE the representatives for the Forum as a whole..we act and vote for changes that will best serve the FORUM (the forum dies you don't have a place to complain at anymore), not the likes or dislikes of a handful of users.
Well thank you.
Sincerely.
I was not sure, and glad to see such informative answers. This has restored my 'faith' in the forum. Wink For my part I will try to follow tos most carefully when required. Why not?

Vrythramax and Bikerman I can only agree, certainly, with issues and disagreements arrising, in the heat of debate or whatever that the corruptible device that works against everyone for something organized, something liveable and cooperative does require experience, patience and a disipline. I can see that the moderation role is not the easiest position to take.

In these democracy actions to protect democracy, I just hope you all will continue to listen to all sides without a bias, that can sometimes be there if we let it in. (I mean regarding everyone - human nature).
Bikerman
Bluedoll wrote:
In these democracy actions to protect democracy, I just hope you all will continue to listen to all sides without a bias, that can sometimes be there if we let it in. (I mean regarding everyone - human nature).
Well, remember that Frihost is not, and does not strive to be, a democracy. The staff will always have the last word on any issue and, ultimately, Bondings has the last word amongst the staff if it comes to that.
Within those constraints we try to operate fairly. Staff are well aware of the dangers of personal bias influencing their decisions - indeed many users would probably be surprised by the amount of effort that we make to avoid that happening - we routinely discuss any serious issues with other staff before taking action. That system of 'peer review' is not perfect but it is the best we can do and means that decisions made by the staff are usually the correct ones.