FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Add "Grammar/Spelling", "Warning Request"

LittleBlackKitten
...To the list of report functions? There is no real way to report these things and since there is no active moderator dedicated to spelling/grammar or a warning feature, it would be great if these could be added in to the report feature. The Other feature would be in cases that don't quite fall under the others but still needs reporting. Thanks!
watersoul
Oh my gosh, like a dog refusing to let go of a bone I say chill out.
OK there are some minor mistakes/mistake's in some of the grammar here but overall it's usually readable. I agree about "text speak" but wow, remember some here don't use English as a first language, equally, American English is sometimes incorrect to me, but let it go and relax a bit, I'm easy as long as I understand the message.
I'm pretty sure that when mod's see really blatant errors (especially in subjects) they fix the mistakes, but to be fair, your campaign to me seems a little over the top and overexcited to me.
LittleBlackKitten
I didn't invite anyone to attack my position, I asked for a moderator to consider my position. Please do not attack me again.
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I didn't invite anyone to attack my position, I asked for a moderator to consider my position. Please do not attack me again.

I expressed a view in what I saw as a non-confrontational way...if you feel "attacked" by my shared opinion it was not my intention and I sympathise without empathy.
Bikerman
We have discussed this at reasonable length in this forum and the consensus seemed to be that no action was necessary or desirable. I don't think, therefore, that this is a 'goer'...but I'm not 'ruling' on it and other moderators may wish to contribute their thoughts.
LittleBlackKitten
The kind of post I am referring to is not simply poor spelling, watersoul, and your sarcastic, opinionated comments aren't helpful or welcome. The post I am referring to break multiple rules and some are even hard to understand, and some are even so bad it makes no sense whatsoever. I would not nit pick about using posessive apostrophes in plurals as you represented above, which is basic grade 2/3 education which most foreigners learn fairly quickly, but posts that break multiple grammatic rules many times, spell poorly, and use bad vernacualr and punctiation.

I am ALSO referring to aggressive, unwarranted, and overall unwelcome posts that come close to breaking the rules, hence the request for a warning request. There are far too many instances of horrible posts that are lazily written and have no real excuse, those that aren't trying hard enough, and those who are aggressive.

I shouldn't need to justify my requests to another member, but rather the moderators and admin whose opinions and questions matter and effect the final decision.

Chris: I'm not asking for anything more than a selection to click upon report. I'm NOT asking for a moderator job here.
Bikerman
Nono...don't misunderstand me, I didn't imply (or wish to imply) that you were. I was simply saying that personally I don't think it is a goer. My reason is that once the facility is there I can see it being abused in a trivial manner by people just wishing to have a go at another poster, and I can also see it being used in a fairly insulting manner against posters who may have English as a second or third language. That's just my opinion, which is why I said that other mods may wish to take a different view.
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
and use bad vernacualr and punctiation.

Yep, you're right, you have nothing to justify to me, good luck with your cause chasing perfect writing skills.

...I foolishly thought the "suggestions" forum was a place where members views were equally as valid as mod's, silly me! Laughing

*edit* I'll leave you to this one, it doesn't bother me that much, lazy posts are obvious and they don't happen frequently enough to make me concerned too much. Good luck with your mission.
LittleBlackKitten
Even someone learning english has access to spellcheckers, grammar programs, and other aids to help their posts along. There is no REAL reason why someone "Postin,,,like this cannut,,,lern about how 2 post prprly? do'nt agri u?"

Furthermore, the warning request can in fact be ignored by those who moderate them and think they're uncalled for.

It's just making it easier for those who are honest to report.

It's said that reporting is the way to help out and get things looked at, when in reality, nothing really happens.

Watersoul, suggestions is a place to request changes, and to post positive or negative opinion. NOT call someone a dog and order them to calm down whilst giving excuses why people should not make the effort to post properly.

For the record, you never use apostraphes in plurals, it is a rule. Otherwise, it reflects poorly on you.
Ghost Rider103
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

It's said that reporting is the way to help out and get things looked at, when in reality, nothing really happens.

Do you even have a clue how many reports get made a day? I believe I can speak for all the staff when I say it's a bit offensive for you to say nothing happens when you report. A lot of effort goes into handling the reports.

Your chances of noticing all the spam and bots that are removed a day are slim to none, because once they are deleted you have no way of knowing they were ever there. You have no say in saying that reports are not dealt with.

ALL reports get handled one way or another. Whether or not anything is done about a report is up the the moderator/staff that handles them. As there are a lot of valid reports that come in, there are also a lot of reports that come in that are just users nit-picking or picking on a specific user trying to get them in some sort of trouble.

Quote:
or the record, you never use apostraphes in plurals, it is a rule. Otherwise, it reflects poorly on you.

For the record, this is known as backseat moderating. Perhaps someone will report it, and then I'll take care of the issue personally.
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Watersoul, suggestions is a place to request changes, and to post positive or negative opinion. NOT call someone a dog and order them to calm down whilst giving excuses why people should not make the effort to post properly.

For the record, you never use apostraphes in plurals, it is a rule. Otherwise, it reflects poorly on you.

I think most people reading my post will absolutely understand the analogy of 'a dog with a bone' and realise I wasn't 'calling you a dog'. I could have used a different term and said you were like 'a child refusing to leave the playpark', meaning exactly the same thing. Chill out a bit.
I do think you have too much concern with perfect grammar though, including the lesson on apostrophes in the tail end of the quoted text above. In a public forum I should be able to share that thought without fearing the label of attacker. I also strongly think you could accept the difference of opinion without suffering too much distress if you thought about it a little longer.
LittleBlackKitten
You are still not allowed by any stretch to insult me, as that is against the TOS. You may not call me a dog or a child as I find this inflammatory and insulting. Stop it.
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
You are still not allowed by any stretch to insult me, as that is against the TOS. You may not call me a dog or a child as I find this inflammatory and insulting. Stop it.

It was simply a lyrical representation of a conceptual viewpoint, if you took it as a direct insult that was honestly never my intention so I shall avoid replying to you in future. Such a pity our understanding in open communication is so far apart from each other. Good luck in your mission of searching grammatical excellence in the digital forum world. Smile
Bikerman
Ghost Rider103 has already said that there is backseat moderation going on here. This is more of the same. The moderators will decide whether a particular posting breaks TOS, not users.
watersoul's comment was perhaps more personal than I would like, but the simile he used is well known and not particularly insulting. 'A dog with a bone' is generally understood to mean 'unwilling to let go'. Whilst I would encourage users to avoid any personal comments of any sort, I don't consider that this example merits any action under TOS and I will remind users once more not to engage in back-seat moderation. If you wish to complain about a posting then use the report button.
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:

watersoul's comment was perhaps more personal than I would like, but the simile he used is well known and not particularly insulting. 'A dog with a bone' is generally understood to mean 'unwilling to let go'...

Absolutely, although I understand the personal slant that could be perceived by some people if considered in a certain way. For that reason I repeat, it was not my intention and I shall attempt to be more obvious while using a simile in future.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Oh my gosh, like a dog refusing to let go of a bone I say chill out.
Totally agreed, and given your style of postings where you are always respectful to others difficult to contemplate that it could have been taken as to offend. Incomprehensible in fact. I also completely get your point of view, as have we not been around this block a few times in another thread, and was it not clear that the majority thought it not really that big of a deal? Question Also, didn't Bondings at some or other point say that there does not have to be a category in the report to tick, in order to make a report. There is plenty of space in the text block to report what needs to be reported without needing to tick any specific category?
Vrythramax
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

I'm going to step in a completely impartial observer.

@LittleBlackKitten

I think YOU are the one that being a bit over-sensitive here, the analogy given fit the entire mood of the topic. It was not given in a manner that specifically called you any name.

Here is a perfect example of an analogy:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me"

As for backseat moderating, there has been enough of that going on. If you have a complaint voice it through the appropriate channels or you could risk being banned.

As for spell checking...do YOU always check for spelling?? For many of us, myself included, English is not our primary language, and it is grossly unfair to expect us to be correct at all times. This is a multi-national forum, and a certain degree of acceptance MUST be shown.
LittleBlackKitten
I have been; I get completely ignored, not responded to, or generally accused of not telling the truth.

The report feature is broken as far as I'm concerned.

I am also allowed to stand up for myself and tell people not to say things which I percieve as "bullying" or "namecalling". Whether he meant it that way or NOT, it is how I percieved it, and I think I should have the right to say "Excuse me, no." I was not moderating; a moderation in my mind would be physically altering his post and warning him in red, which I cannot do.

So now I am not to defend myself?...
Vrythramax
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I have been; I get completely ignored, not responded to, or generally accused of not telling the truth.

Then why not just go somewhere where everything is perfect? Your membership heere is by your own choice....if we are that bad, why don't you just go to another forum? The choice here is yours.
Ghost Rider103
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I was not moderating; a moderation in my mind would be physically altering his post and warning him in red, which I cannot do.

It does not matter if you think* you were not back-seat moderating in your "mind." You do not make the rules, and theirs quite a good reason for it.

Please, take this time to read the rule below:
Quote:
Back-seat moderating is not allowed. If you witness someone break a rule or you think (s)he did, please report the post or user.
Do not reply to the offending post or topic and attempt to handle the situation yourself. If you attempt to handle the situation yourself, a warning might be given.

Now, take a look at your post:
Quote:
for the record, you never use apostraphes in plurals, it is a rule. Otherwise, it reflects poorly on you.

You were attempting to let the user know that he/she has broken a rule and addressed the situation yourself. This is indeed breaking the rules.

Quote:

No, the report feature is working quite well! All of your reports have successfully came through and and have also successfully been ignored. The report feature is supposed to be used when someone has broken a rule. Just because someone has lack of knowledge on how to properly speak English does not give you a valid reason to report them.

Not to mention, one of the posters you reported is from China. Clearly English wasn't their first language, and editing their post to give it "proper' grammar and whatever else you want to nit-pick about will not be done.

If we edit every users post that make simple mistakes to make it look like all our users are Literature professors, they will loose their sense of personality.

Again, you have no say in how/if the reports are being handled, because you wouldn't have a clue to begin with.

I find it quite offensive that you say we don't do anything about the reports. Am I going to whine and complain to Bondings because you have offended me? Definitely not. However, any respect that I did have for you has now been lost.

As Max has already told you, if you don't like how things are done here, perhaps you should look for another forum where everything is to your standards. You are not required to come here by any means.
Bluedoll
This is really just a suggestion when I say that perhaps the moderating team needs to continue to show patience and understanding when dealing with members especially female ones. Sad Getting angry and turning people away from posting or to leave the board is an action that will surely only have a domino effect and perhaps should be discontinued?

Quote:
Then why not just go somewhere where everything is perfect? Your membership heere is by your own choice....if we are that bad, why don't you just go to another forum? The choice here is yours.

. . if you don't like how things are done here, perhaps you should look for another forum where everything is to your standards. You are not required to come here by any means.

Quote:
If you wish to complain about a posting then use the report button.
As for backseat moderating, there has been enough of that going on. If you have a complaint voice it through the appropriate channels or you could risk being banned.
Honestly, just a question on this ok?
When do we actually know you are who you say you are?
I mean we are discussing this right, so questions can be asked?
or is it like “I am the lord thy god of the board so shut the up about it”

Backseat driving is a very grey area for me when it is not in a PM! The board is for discussion - a warning or PM from a moderator is about tos?

No disrespect intended!

@littleblackkitten
I am sorry, about using your name inappropriately ok, I wasn’t thinking about anything nasty but was trying humours, sorry, I wouldn’t do it again and thanks for you comment about me being too ‘angry’. I agree.

@Bikerman
I have a complaint. What does it mean to have a ‘go’ at someone? Start speaking English, eh!
Smile
Tension runs high and differences are abundant but certainly all humans can agree we have not the time for aggression in our hearts regardless of where we are from or what we believe in. I am sincerely, sorry to anyone I have hurt. Ok!
Bikerman
Quote:
Getting angry and turning people away from posting or to leave the board is an action that will surely only have a domino effect and perhaps should be discontinued?
I doubt it.

Perhaps you will begin to appreciate MY patience over the last few weeks now in putting up with this nonsense.
Quote:

Ghost Rider103 is a moderator. Vrythramax is a moderator and account creator. I (bikerman) am a moderator.
Quote:
or is it like “I am the lord thy god of the board so shut the up about it
Yep, you got it. If a moderator makes a decision then it isn't up for user debate in public. You may pm a particular moderator if you wish to discuss something they have ruled on, but you may not continue to debate the decision in the forum. I don't actually know why you have entered this thread, since the moderators were not talking to or about you here.
Quote:
What does it mean to have a ‘go’ at someone?

'Have a go' is idiomatic, but I thought it was used on the North American continent as well as in Europe. Maybe not. It means to attack someone (normally verbally but it can be used to refer to either verbal or physical attacks).
Quote:
Start speaking English, eh!
err...I would think twice before handing out comments on the use of English if I were you....
Bluedoll
Bikerman wrote:
Quote:
Getting angry and turning people away from posting or to leave the board is an action that will surely only have a domino effect and perhaps should be discontinued?
I doubt it.

Perhaps you will begin to appreciate MY patience over the last few weeks now in putting up with this nonsense.
Quote:

Ghost Rider103 is a moderator. Vrythramax is a moderator and account creator. I (bikerman) am a moderator.
Quote:
or is it like “I am the lord thy god of the board so shut the up about it
Yep, you got it. If a moderator makes a decision then it isn't up for user debate in public. You may pm a particular moderator if you wish to discuss something they have ruled on, but you may not continue to debate the decision in the forum. I don't actually know why you have entered this thread, since the moderators were not talking to or about you here.
Quote:
What does it mean to have a ‘go’ at someone?

'Have a go' is idiomatic, but I thought it was used on the North American continent as well as in Europe. Maybe not. It means to attack someone (normally verbally but it can be used to refer to either verbal or physical attacks).
Quote:
Start speaking English, eh!
err...I would think twice before handing out comments on the use of English if I were you....
Why is this thread not closed then?

I am still sincere in learning all I can about boards (this board in particular) and here for this reason. I did make a suggestion. Your misunderstood it.
I do not want to PM anyone. I was asking a question regarding this post not concerning moderation or at the very least to learn how to define what is moderation and what is not!
Bikerman
OK, fair question.
With me it is easy - I use the same style that I use moderating other forums, as follows:
When I post (like this) in black then I am a poster, not a moderator.
When I post like this, in red, then I am a moderator making a moderation ruling.

Other moderators have their own methods (I post more than most moderators, so I find it necessary to keep a strict division between posting and moderating. Other moderators do not post as often and do not have the same issue).

Basically with other moderators I would assume that if they are giving instructions - saying something should or should not be done - or commenting on the TOS, then they are posting as a moderator. It should be easy to tell from the context. For example, in this thread, I would say that when Max entered the thread it is pretty clear that his posting should be regarded as a moderation post, since he was speaking directly to a complaint made in the thread. GhostRider103 was speaking as a moderator answering specific points raised by lbk, but not making a moderation ruling/decision - he made this clear at the end of his first posting by saying that he would deal with moderation if a report was filed. I would take that as a warning from a moderator about to act officially but giving posters a chance to avoid it.

I have posted in this thread not as a moderator making a decision, but as a poster (who happens to be a moderator) answering specific questions/issues about moderation.

If you read the thread through I think you will see what I am saying.
ocalhoun
Well, if things are going to be added to the reporting feature, "wrong forum" would also be a good category to have, to make reporting misplaced posts easy.