FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you pay money for the Sun?

Cliffer
news says a Spanish woman registered that she owns the Sun and wants to get money,do you pay her?
kotechan
And what proof does she have?
saratdear
kotechan wrote:

There's no proof. There is apparently nothing preventing an individual from owning planets or stars.

Eitb.com wrote:

Ms Duran, however, was adamant she knows the law: "I am not stupid... There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star but it says nothing about individuals," she argued.
The 49-year-old, it would seem, was absolutely correct in citing the loophole and has since been issued with deeds that state she is "owner of the sun, a star of spectral G2".

If you ask me, no one is going to take her seriously. She's going to keep 10% of what she gets and give away the 90% (if she gets anything, that is)
Klaw 2
saratdear wrote:
kotechan wrote:

There's no proof. There is apparently nothing preventing an individual from owning planets or stars.

Eitb.com wrote:

Ms Duran, however, was adamant she knows the law: "I am not stupid... There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star but it says nothing about individuals," she argued.
The 49-year-old, it would seem, was absolutely correct in citing the loophole and has since been issued with deeds that state she is "owner of the sun, a star of spectral G2".

If you ask me, no one is going to take her seriously. She's going to keep 10% of what she gets and give away the 90% (if she gets anything, that is)

In that case I'm owner of the big bang, everyone should pay me now because they own everything to me Very Happy .
It's pointless just some crazy woman wanting her 5 minits of fame. The sun belongs to no one.
If you want to own the sun fly there and plant a flag or pole with your name on it, personally, then we'll talk about it. ^_^
The-Nisk
the whole concept of ownership is just damn right silly.
Ankhanu
Thing is, even if she "owns" the Sun, she does not own it's light once it leaves the Sun. It's like owning a piece of land with a river source; you have no say over what happens downstream of your land, and the water is not yours.

Also, I'm not really sure this is a Science thread, perhaps Politics or Economics would be more relevant?
fr3ak
saratdear wrote:
kotechan wrote:

Eitb.com wrote:

Atm it's not so important, but in few years, decades..what will happen!? Oh my! Laughing
Indi
Ankhanu wrote:
Thing is, even if she "owns" the Sun, she does not own it's light once it leaves the Sun. It's like owning a piece of land with a river source; you have no say over what happens downstream of your land, and the water is not yours.

Also, I'm not really sure this is a Science thread, perhaps Politics or Economics would be more relevant?

As i understand land claim law, too, you can't stake a claim on a piece of land unless you're actually on it. ^_^;

(That's why people in England in the 1600's couldn't just say "i owns the west coast of America!!!" and be taken seriously.)

i say give her a rocket and a deed, and send her on her way.
Bikerman
She (and her notary) obviously didn't read the treaty properly...
Quote:
States Parties to the Treaty shall bear international responsibility for national activities in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, whether such activities are carried on by governmental agencies or by non-governmental entities, and for assuring that national activities are carried out in conformity with the provisions set forth in the present Treaty. The activities of non-governmental entities in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, shall require authorization and continuing supervision by the appropriate State Party to the Treaty. When activities are carried on in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, by an international organization, responsibility for compliance with this Treaty shall be borne both by the international organization and by the States Parties to the Treaty participating in such organization.

(My emphasis)

In point of fact it wouldn't even work on Earth - International law recognises nations, not individuals.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:

In point of fact it wouldn't even work on Earth - International law recognises nations, not individuals.

Couldn't you just get around that by declaring yourself the ruler of a sovereign nation?

Anyway, if this lady somehow does end up legally owning the sun, I hope she makes a good profit on it: Just think of all the lawsuits she'll have to pay...
Your property gave me skin cancer...
Your property withered my crops...
Your property is causing global warming...
Your property caused me to go blind...
Your property released a solar flare that fried my (very expensive) satellite...

Also, I would like to stake a claim to all of the empty space between the orbits of Earth and Jupiter.
All future interplanetary space missions passing through this space will need to pay me a toll, or be prosecuted for trespassing.
Cheeldash
Cliffer wrote:
news says a Spanish woman registered that she owns the Sun and wants to get money,do you pay her?

It's ridicolous, I think she's looking for fame, and made money out of the fame gained.
Moreover if someone could really make people pay for the sun, this business would be already in the hand of lobbies.
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Couldn't you just get around that by declaring yourself the ruler of a sovereign nation?
Nope. It's been tried, but only in a semi joking manner. Countries are recognised in one of two ways, depending on how cynical you are:
a) As a result of international law and with all due process
b) By violent succession of a regional population from an existing state or by violent conflict leading to military capture by another state.
I don't think the Spanish lady has either option at her disposal...
Alerrandre
i canot see her name on the sun lol.
ham65
Amazing,she has the sun,and i have the moon.

Laughing
iman
well, why don't you just let the woman do what she wants to do with the sun?
I think that'll be dangerous in the future though
rjraaz
Cliffer wrote:

i think you have to provide the more detail about that great lady or tell us where did you hear about her.

Please if you know the source of that great news please share it to us. Question
Alerrandre
If you want enjoy the sun,just buy your own lol;
chatrack
Hi,

Since Sun is older than her, ask from where she got it
Ankhanu
chatrack wrote:
Hi,

Doesn't this logic apply to every single land claim and deed in existence (with the possible exception of man-made islands)??
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
chatrack wrote:
Hi,

Doesn't this logic apply to every single land claim and deed in existence (with the possible exception of man-made islands)??

There are some schools of thought that claim that nobody can own land... much for that reason.
Some of those refine it by saying that you can posses land, but only by putting your own work into it, so that you could only originally claim land if you built something on it or improved it somehow.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
chatrack wrote:
Hi,

There are some schools of thought that claim that nobody can own land... much for that reason.
Some of those refine it by saying that you can posses land, but only by putting your own work into it, so that you could only originally claim land if you built something on it or improved it somehow.

I've heard of such things, but never seen them in action. There is some sense to it, at least in terms of somewhat nebulous ethics, but it does place too much emphasis on the importance and value of development versus nature. For example, around here there are organizations dedicated to nature conservation; these organizations purchase land (or have land donated by conscientious landowners) to maintain as wilderness, set aside and protected from development... These sorts of things couldn't exist under that sort of "claim by development" systems.

It would also encourage greater social disparity and resource plundering, as only those who can develop land quickly could own or claim land... Even more so than under the current systems.

Just rambling off the top of my head here :p
Hello_World
Quote:

And these ideas were much the source of contention for both the Australia Aboriginal people and the Maoris.

The aboriginals who did not have a concept of land ownership, despite certain places having great meaning, and they took care of certain things, they did not 'own' it when they were not on it, and hence had no real concept when England wanted to claim it.

The Maoris who sold the 'shadow' of the land to the English, esentially they were only selling rights to use the land, not to own it.

Just a couple of ideas about non-ownership that don't have the development idea.

I wonder what the American Indians thought, maybe someone can fill me in...
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
These sorts of things couldn't exist under that sort of "claim by development" systems.

To be environmentally conscientious, you'd want to set aside tracts of land to be natural preserves and immune to being developed.
Wouldn't even require much in the way of laws or enforcement: just designate zones where developing the land does not grant you ownership of it.
Few people will want to develop land that can legally be used or taken by anybody else at any time.
Quote:

It would also encourage greater social disparity and resource plundering, as only those who can develop land quickly could own or claim land... Even more so than under the current systems.

Well, another idea along those lines is a 'land tax'.
In a system like that, everyone can use whatever land they want, however they want.
If you want the right to exclude other people from 'your' land, you pay a yearly tax for that privilege. If you don't pay that tax, anybody can use 'your' land however they want to, whenever they want to, perfectly legally.
So, in that system, you don't pay for (or own) the land, you pay for the ability to keep others off of it.

Making the costs of 'ownership' ongoing would also discourage people from accumulating excess land. Generally, people would only pay to keep others off 'their' land if they had a good reason to.
rooterf
Cliffer wrote:

certainly impossible!
fernandezxc
chatrack wrote:
Hi,

i think in future people will start owning planets but not know
Tuvitor
This reminds me of the big corporations that are trying to copyright DNA sequences. Except the big corporations are actually serious.
Hello_World
Sad but true Tuvitor.

Some would love to own all the seeds too...
mazito
This one make me remember a news from 80`s a saw in tv, about a man in USA that sell part of the moon, he or she (i cant remember) charge 10 or 100 US dolars for a inch square, and returns a certify of property by a notary
TheLimey
no, it is kinda crazy
Radar
If you can't enforce your ownership of something, can it really be said that you own it?
zimmer
Cliffer wrote:

then if she is the owner can she turn it of for a while.. its so hot in here.. lol.. does she have certification?

The true owner is me.. lol
raztah
of course not!
johans
YES! i am..
playfungames
Seriously speaking, this is not believable and would never happen. No one can buy the sun. And even if someone buys it and tries to sell the heat and light from the sun, how about we just ask the person to cancel our services.
darthrevan
I wouldn't pay her, the sun isn't any one's property, nor can any other planet be. In my view, land shouldn't have to be paid for either. The gov't or no man created land. Should be we find a piece of land not lived on and if we chose, we build a house on it, but of course this is a different subject. Just gives you my view.
AtifJamalAnsari
[quote="Indi"][quote="Ankhanu"]Thing is, even if she "owns" the Sun, she does not own it's light once it leaves the Sun. It's like owning a piece of land with a river source; you have no say over what happens downstream of your land, and the water is not yours.

very well said.. Wink
codegeek
Dibs on the moon. Very Happy