FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

History of internet scams

saratdear
Discover how to go from being an absolute beginner to earning $4500 a week just by working for an hour a day!!!
By reading this article, you'll understand how to work from home to make millions every month! This information can be yours for just $97 (normally $147) if you act today!!!

Does the above passage seem familiar to you? If you've been around in the internet for sometime, you'll have smelled an Internet Scam.

But what if you were not clever enough to recognize it was a scam? Here is a lowdown of the most popular internet scams of all time...

AllAdvantage - Internet advertising company which promised "Get Paid to Surf the Web". Needless to say, it collapsed when the dot com bubble burst in 2000.

AGLOCO - Started by the founders of AllAdvantage, this one promised money for surfing. Users had to download a toolbar and keep it running all the time while surfing. They soon found that revenue wasn't flowing in as fast as it needed to flow out. I'd like to mention here that I downloaded the toolbar, too. Razz

The Nigerian Scam, also known as 419 - This one usually occurs via email. A distressed family from Nigeria mails you asking for help to transfer their million dollar funds. If you help them with the legal fees, you'll get a cut, too. Doesn't this have 'SCAM' written all over it? Still people fall for it.

The Lottery Scam - I still remember myself, a young gullible kid, calling my dad excitedly on the phone while he was at work. I had won an internet lottery! Rolling Eyes These kind usually show up in emails, but you might also see one flashing banner from time to time, promising millions. Never fall for these.

Phishing - Phishing, a play on the word "fishing", refers to the act of pretending to be someone (your bank, payment processor) in order to get personal details (usernames, passwords, credit card numbers). Most
of the phishing may occur via email, when you receive a message from someone claiming to be your bank, for example, requesting your username and password for some bogus reason (your account was compromised, their records need to be updated...)

Get Rich Quick schemes - If you want to see a sample, try the one at the top of this essay. There are literally hundreds of pages on the web trying to part you from your hard earned money by promising financial freedom. Use your common sense. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Think about it - if the author had the secret to make $1000 every week, would he give it away on the web?

The internet has been used to scam people as much as it has been used to do good. It is up to us to use our common sense to differentiate the good, the bad and the plain ugly.

Now...are you ready to send your $97 for all this information? For an optional upgrade of $47, you can view even more! Laughing
admin
This is an entry in the essay competition located at http://www.frihost.com/competitions/vc-1.html .
quex
Because I'm older than I am (or am I?) a trivia question: why is "phishing" spelled with a ph in place of the f?

Hint: has to do with hacking from an earlier era, before computers even had screens...
slimviking
saratdear wrote:
Discover how to go from being an absolute beginner to earning $4500 a week just by working for an hour a day!!!
By reading this article, you'll understand how to work from home to make millions every month! This information can be yours for just $97 (normally $147) if you act today!!!

Does the above passage seem familiar to you? If you've been around in the internet for sometime, you'll have smelled an Internet Scam.

All are very old.
The nigerian scam was called "the spanish prince scam" and predates to 17 century Laughing

The art of scamming is old as the man Crying or Very sad
SonLight
quex wrote:
Because I'm older than I am (or am I?) a trivia question: why is "phishing" spelled with a ph in place of the f?

Hint: has to do with hacking from an earlier era, before computers even had screens...

I just noticed that no one ever answered quex's trivia question.

Most probable answer:

Phone phreaking: the practice of using knowledge of signaling sequences to gain access to long distance service without being charged. These were among the first who can be considered 'hackers', although I know of cases where people manipulated computer systems to get free service or other privileges earlier than that.

It's ph instead of eff, phirst, because of phone which wouldn't have gone as well with freaking, and phurthermore because of the phr*** phrench, who always phumbled their phrases.

PS. This is my lame attempt at humor, no insult to the Brits, the French, or any others who spell differently from us Americans, and therefore wrongly, in our opinion.