FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Participate in the first essay competition!

Bondings
This is a call to participate in the first essay competition.

We currently only have 4 entries. If you participate you have a very big chance of winning a free domain regarding the (currently) low amount of participating users.

To participate you need to write a detailed post about the history of something related to Frihost in a broad way. You can choose from over 40 topics like the history of html, forums, avatars, domain names, internet scams, browsers, internet memes and a lot of other interesting ones.

So please, just try it out. You still have time until Saturday 4 December!

http://www.frihost.com/competitions/vc-1.html
deanhills
Thanks Bondings. We have a national holiday coming up here in the UAE on Thursday, will have a look at the competition then. Sorry, I've been swamped at work, also this field is a bit out of my depth, however will give it a try before 4 December, but obviously it will take some extra effort. Thanks for the opportunity however. I'm sorry I have not been able to deliver on it yet. Smile
missdixy
I would have loved to participate in this! The 'avatars' topic in particular interested me. Unfortunately the deadlines for this falls smack in the middle of my finals >.< Damn finals time!
Blaster
I very well may have been the first entry... Still waiting to see if I won... Probably not
ocalhoun
Confused
Well, I was pretty worked up about participating in the contests, but when it came out, all the topics seemed a bit... well, dry. None of them really sparked my imagination.

How could I write something interesting on a topic that I, myself, am bored with?

Looking forward to future contests with different themes though. Keep 'em coming, even if response is slow at first.
saratdear
I'm in. I finished my entry today. Added to my signature as well.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Confused
Well, I was pretty worked up about participating in the contests, but when it came out, all the topics seemed a bit... well, dry. None of them really sparked my imagination.

How could I write something interesting on a topic that I, myself, am bored with?

Looking forward to future contests with different themes though. Keep 'em coming, even if response is slow at first.
I don't agree. History of Internet Scams to me sounds anything but dull, also history of internet trolls, history of internet advertisements, history of spam, history of Internet Scams, history of internet addiction.

Think the theme here is of course history of a broad variety of aspects of the Internet. Some of them are dull, but may be easy to do for those with lots of exposure and background in those areas. But some of them are interesting.
Bondings
@ocalhoun, there are definitely some competitions coming that you'll find interesting. At least some of your posts would already fit in them.

@saratdear, thank you very much! We're now at 5 candidates. Very Happy
Bikerman
I'm currently preparing a lecture on Domain Names for my BTEC students. I might prepare it as an extended essay and enter it just to make up numbers and provide some content. I don't really want to be considered for the prize, though. Let someone else have that - I've already got a domain-name's worth of coins which I have no immediate need for.....
Bondings
Bikerman wrote:
I'm currently preparing a lecture on Domain Names for my BTEC students. I might prepare it as an extended essay and enter it just to make up numbers and provide some content. I don't really want to be considered for the prize, though. Let someone else have that - I've already got a domain-name's worth of coins which I have no immediate need for.....

Ok, very well. Then we'll have 6 entries, with 5 candidates who can win. Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Writing has really never been my thing, but I actually may enter just to see where I place. It's hard for me to find the time to do something extra. I work while I am browsing Frihost (dual monitors make it easy) but writing an essay would be challenging while working.

I'm sure I can find the time to do it, I just get bored with writing, so I'm not forcing myself to find the time.

But if there are future competitions that have to do with image editing/creating or something similar, I will definitely make it a high priority to enter. Very Happy
Blaster
Bondings quick question after the essay has been picked are they all going to be viewable for others to read?
deanhills
Bondings wrote:

Bondings, I was just about to put my essay up (11:14 p.m. Abu Dhabi Time) on 4 December, and then found that the competition has been closed? I thought the deadline would be until the end of 4th of December? The United States is completely behind in time as well, almost by a day. I notice this Posting is dated 9:17 p.m.

My essay would have been on Internet Addiction.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Bondings, I was just about to put my essay up (11:14 p.m. Abu Dhabi Time) on 4 December, and then found that the competition has been closed? I thought the deadline would be until the end of 4th of December? The United States is completely behind in time as well, almost by a day. I notice this Posting is dated 9:17 p.m.

My essay would have been on Internet Addiction.

No, it ended somewhere today. I extended it to Monday due to the confusion.

Anyway, the competitions have a very precise end date. They would have anyway considering everyone is in a different timezone so simply ending at midnight is not possible (or would be too easy to circumvent by changing your timezone in the settings). The way I made it is that I have to choose a number of days that the competition lasts (integer) and then from the moment I start the competition it counts the days and hence ends at the same hour/minute/second that I created it.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
No, it ended somewhere today. I extended it to Monday due to the confusion.

Anyway, the competitions have a very precise end date. They would have anyway considering everyone is in a different timezone so simply ending at midnight is not possible (or would be too easy to circumvent by changing your timezone in the settings). The way I made it is that I have to choose a number of days that the competition lasts (integer) and then from the moment I start the competition it counts the days and hence ends at the same hour/minute/second that I created it.
Thanks Bondings. That is most generous. I have just posted my essay and all of it was a great experience. Nice that we get to edit our submission right up to the deadline.

This is a very small thing, but I was wondering, I miss the preview button. Is it easy to add one, or is the posting of the competition a standard template?
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
This is a very small thing, but I was wondering, I miss the preview button. Is it easy to add one, or is the posting of the competition a standard template?

You can use the "Save and view" button when you edit the post. On the competition page there should also be a "View essay entry" link.

Anyway, after the competition is ended (winner announced, ...), the topics will be moved to the forums and become more or less normal topics.
deanhills
Thanks Bondings. After submitting my essay, I have been thinking about it, and I was wondering whether other posters who participated in the competition also found the standard of the competition very high? And whether it might have been out of reach for a large number of posters?

Also, wouldn't it be better to have more than one entry in any given subject so that there could be competing entries for the subjects? I'm sure in my chosen category of Internet Addiction, someone else could have contributed something much better or from a different vantage point. If you had ten submissions of essays on Internet Addiction, perhaps the total result could have been more informative?
Bondings
The competition should have ended now normally. I'll probably create a topic to discuss the entries and from that input decide who won.
deanhills wrote:
Thanks Bondings. After submitting my essay, I have been thinking about it, and I was wondering whether other posters who participated in the competition also found the standard of the competition very high? And whether it might have been out of reach for a large number of posters?

Also, wouldn't it be better to have more than one entry in any given subject so that there could be competing entries for the subjects? I'm sure in my chosen category of Internet Addiction, someone else could have contributed something much better or from a different vantage point. If you had ten submissions of essays on Internet Addiction, perhaps the total result could have been more informative?

I'm not sure about the standard of the competition. I never mentioned that it has to be very well researched or very long. On the other hand, discussing the history of something is not usually done in a few lines and takes quite some work. I suppose other competitions might have easier topics. The next competition won't be much easier, though. Although I will probably allow users to create their own essay topics, apart from a few given ones.

About the competing entries, that's definitely something that took quite a while to decide/think about when I programmed the competitions. The problem is that the entries end up as topics in the forums. One of the solutions would be to put all those competing entries in one topic. However that would be quite confusing and potentially the posts would have a lot of things in common, certainly for some topics they might be very similar. So it would result in a lot more information, but it would result in a chaotic topic with a lot of repeated content. And that's why I didn't allow it. Besides, considering the rather low amount of entries, I don't think that getting several people interested in the same topic is easy.

Anyway, most of the coming competitions will probably ones where the essay topics can be chosen by the users (if they don't like the ones provided or if there are no topics provided) and I think that might get more participants. The topics will have to fit in the competition, of course.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
The competition should have ended now normally. I'll probably create a topic to discuss the entries and from that input decide who won.
deanhills wrote:

I'm not sure about the standard of the competition. I never mentioned that it has to be very well researched or very long. On the other hand, discussing the history of something is not usually done in a few lines and takes quite some work. I suppose other competitions might have easier topics. The next competition won't be much easier, though. Although I will probably allow users to create their own essay topics, apart from a few given ones.

About the competing entries, that's definitely something that took quite a while to decide/think about when I programmed the competitions. The problem is that the entries end up as topics in the forums. One of the solutions would be to put all those competing entries in one topic. However that would be quite confusing and potentially the posts would have a lot of things in common, certainly for some topics they might be very similar. So it would result in a lot more information, but it would result in a chaotic topic with a lot of repeated content. And that's why I didn't allow it. Besides, considering the rather low amount of entries, I don't think that getting several people interested in the same topic is easy.

Anyway, most of the coming competitions will probably ones where the essay topics can be chosen by the users (if they don't like the ones provided or if there are no topics provided) and I think that might get more participants. The topics will have to fit in the competition, of course.
Thanks Bondings. I have a better understanding now for the multiple topics. I actually like the higher standard as it reminds me of my University days. So would like to participate in as many of these competitions I can. Sort of both challenging and fun at the same time. Smile
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

Perhaps if multiple people wrote something on the exact same topic, those two (or few) could be put into one thread, but otherwise they all be separate?

There would be some repetition, yes, but it could work, especially if the two had contrasting views of that topic.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Perhaps if multiple people wrote something on the exact same topic, those two (or few) could be put into one thread, but otherwise they all be separate?

There would be some repetition, yes, but it could work, especially if the two had contrasting views of that topic.
I was just thinking that if Bondings is intending to have the entries end up as topics in the Forums, then others will be contributing different views anyway. The essay entry would then serve as a means of jumpstarting a discussion, and then others can contribute their own views.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I was just thinking that if Bondings is intending to have the entries end up as topics in the Forums, then others will be contributing different views anyway. The essay entry would then serve as a means of jumpstarting a discussion, and then others can contribute their own views.

That's a good point indeed.

Anyway, it's time to comment on the entries: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-121417.html since they should be visible now.