FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Exotic pets?

gandalfthegrey
I am curious if anyone else has any exotic pets? What is the strangest animal you've heard kept as a pet?

I have a chinchilla.
Strangest exotic pet I heard of someone having was a sloth.
Peterssidan
A friend had a chinchilla some time ago. It looked quite boring to be in the cage. They also had piranha, turtles and other animals. Not sure how exotic these are considered.

In general I get a bad feeling about the words "exotic pets". If they are caught in the wild it can be really bad because it disturbs the nature. Wild animals are often less suited as pets. Traditional pets like dogs and cats that have been kept by humans for thousands of years have adapted to be better suited as a pet.
dude_xyx
I know a guy in Thailand who has a huge python. He says it's harmless but doesn't look like that.
deanhills
dude_xyx wrote:
I know a guy in Thailand who has a huge python. He says it's harmless but doesn't look like that.
I also regard pythons as exotic animals, but quite a number of snake lovers probably won't see it that way. I'm fascinated with people who actually like snakes. I've been lucky so far that I have never been trapped by one, but am also careful not to cross their path, if I can help it. I'm not a fan of reptiles at all, except perhaps salamanders .... oh yes, and turtles as well .... Smile
daredninja
my friend lives on a farm and he had a chimpanzee living there.. does that count?
ham65
A woman here,she have a pig, lol,i think that is a strange pet lol.
imera
We have had multiple types of turtles, a mouse, and exotic fish that I can't remember the name of (don't worry, it was born in an aquarium, which doesn't make it any better but it wouldn't be able to survive out in the wild, it was a pretty lazy fish)
My sister has had many types of rats, and she has two chinchillas, which she saved from a teenager.
Alerrandre
i saw a woman walking in park with a pig too,it was fun lol.
rogue_skydragon
Pigs as pets? Haha, that's absolutely awesome.
The only pets I've ever owned have been dogs, hamsters, and rabbits. But I'd definitely like to own a turtle someday.
socceraggie
I saw this news story recently that showcased a couple who kept a buffalo as a pet. I'm not talking about outside in a pasture or something. I mean they would let it come into their house, walk around while they are just sitting there watching TV. That was pretty strange (and stupid) to me.
Alpha118
I once had a snake, but sadly I got bored of it and resold it Embarassed

The strangest pet i've heard someone have is a spider, not because they're the unusal, I'm just disgusted by them Razz
robatcook1987
Exotic animals can vary depending on the context. There are different definitions and the common use of "exotic pets", but to establish a precise definition is actually somewhat difficult. And it is a rare or unusual animals, pets or animals as pets, not generally considered as pets.
deanhills
When I was a kid I used to keep silk worms. Was quite fun. I did it for a number of years. I always had to find mulberry leaves for the worms, and once it got to the silk moth stage and eggs had been laid, had to wait a year for the baby worms to hatch. So every now and then had to check whether they were there yet. I had both white and zebra silk worms, and my favourite ones were the zebra worms. My sisters were not too keen on my hobby! Smile
naweed
i had a piranha long ago. but it is dead now Crying or Very sad
driftingfe3s
deanhills wrote:
When I was a kid I used to keep silk worms. Was quite fun. I did it for a number of years. I always had to find mulberry leaves for the worms, and once it got to the silk moth stage and eggs had been laid, had to wait a year for the baby worms to hatch. So every now and then had to check whether they were there yet. I had both white and zebra silk worms, and my favourite ones were the zebra worms. My sisters were not too keen on my hobby! Smile

I had no idea it took a whole year for silk worms to hatch! I guess thats why silk is such a desired fabric.
nigam
we had found a house snake 2 days ago...now, we have it as a pet...we wanted to see it how it grows and i don't know if we can hold the snake in our arms...for now, we just keep it inside a bottle and feed him lizard once a month.
Blaster

Yes i have seen people walking skunks around like that. Me i don't have any exotic pets but I thought I would share this one
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:

Yes i have seen people walking skunks around like that. Me i don't have any exotic pets but I thought I would share this one

I hear that if their scent glands are removed, they actually make very good pets... as good or better than a cat or dog.

Not happy about the morality of performing an operation on them just because you don't like the smell though.
nadroj08
Blaster wrote:

nice one, this is the first time I saw a pet skunk. Here in the Phil the most exotic pet that I encountered was Snake only, I hope someday I will see that kind of pet here.
emanuel2
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I am curious if anyone else has any exotic pets? What is the strangest animal you've heard kept as a pet?

I have a chinchilla.
Strangest exotic pet I heard of someone having was a sloth.

my girlfriend too. These chinchillas are nice as long as they are female Smile
She has one male one, which really likes to bite and to make love. So the result is after 3 intitial chinchilla (1 of them male) there are now 5. And the male one has now his own cage
Very Happy
sudipbanerjee
I know a man who has different types of snakes as pet. Most of these snakes are poisonous.
emanuel2
sudipbanerjee wrote:
I know a man who has different types of snakes as pet. Most of these snakes are poisonous.

to me it absolutely makes no sense to hold poisonous pets. You can watch them in zoos and have the same result...
p3p07
emanuel2 wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:

to me it absolutely makes no sense to hold poisonous pets. You can watch them in zoos and have the same result...

yes, it would be a lot safer too Smile , but I think that man enjoys the danger and complexity of keeping dangerous pets. I'd really like to try keeping one, only my parents will never allow me.
Mrs Lycos
deanhills wrote:

When I read this post I was thinking of other strange pets, like my uncle who had an owl as pet for some time, because it had broken its wing, then I had a small green parrot, but whe I readd this I said HEY! I had silk worms too!! And how could I forget that!!

They are lovely, I had them for several years too, white ones and zebra ones. Actually the lifespan of the worm is no longer than 2 months. The eggs are about 1 millimeter in diameter. So when they hatch the worm is very small, and black. The eat berry leaves, and as they grow, they change skin.
When they're fully grown, they start to shrink, producing the silk threads, and building their cocoons.
After the moth comes out, they start to copulate - the moth doesn't live longer than a week. And the female lays the eggs on the cage walls, one next to the other, over 500 per female. And they don't hatch until next spring.

It's great to see the life cycle over and over, great for kids to learn too!
shivaghimire
But in my community dogs, cats and parrot are only common pets.
Hello_World
My partner keeps stick insects Smile

Silly for a pet. They don't love you back Razz

They look cool though.
tuan
i have a sugar glider
nigam
tuan wrote:
i have a sugar glider

what is a sugar glider? i have just heard it now...
alli2000
i just came from Bali, Indonesia. and when I'm in java, you would amaze for some of the pet, they got sugar glider, iguana, until some weird looking animal, i think because the law restriction is not strict enough.