FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facebook "Like" and "Share" buttons

Should the Frihost forum have sharing buttons such as Facebook "Like" and "Share"
Yes, though only globally per discussion
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Yes, though only specifically per post
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, both for discussions and individual posts
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
No, bad idea
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

zbale
My suggestion is exactly what the title says: that every thread would have Facebook "Like" and "Share" buttons (plus possibly other sharing buttons such as Buzz, etc.).

I am suggesting this for two reasons:

1) We occasionally bump into a great post or discussion (e.g. Ocalhoun's featured post) that we'd like to be able to share easily.

2) I am not sure what business model Frihost rests upon (if any), but if traffic is involved, the possibility for users (whether they are logged in or not) to share posts and/or discussions (see distinction below) would certainly increase said traffic.

One issue to cover: should the Like & Share buttons be discussion- or post-specific?
ankur209
That would be a damn good idea and i think will attract people to come over discussions... Laughing
mahirh
zbale wrote:
My suggestion is exactly what the title says: that every thread would have Facebook "Like" and "Share" buttons (plus possibly other sharing buttons such as Buzz, etc.).

but before introducing this , what this website needs is a interface facelift , if the visitor was from 2005 he would have joined this site but this is 2010
deanhills
zbale wrote:
1) We occasionally bump into a great post or discussion (e.g. Ocalhoun's featured post) that we'd like to be able to share easily.
Why can't you just send a link to your friends, or post a link in your Facebook? One does not have to be a member of Frihost in order to access the Website. Question
Nameless
Speaking as somebody slightly ignorant who doesn't use those kinds of social websites: the buttons everywhere are annoying, encourage cross-website spam, and direct too much attention towards Facebook et al. rather than any meaningful gain here - if anybody is actually interested in sharing, they can do so without the button.

mahirh wrote:
what this website needs is a interface facelift , if the visitor was from 2005 he would have joined this site but this is 2010

Offtopic, but ARGH. No. No pointless redesigns of perfectly functional interfaces. Frihost is not a stupid, emotional teenager. Bad. Hate. Grr.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Speaking as somebody slightly ignorant who doesn't use those kinds of social websites: the buttons everywhere are annoying, encourage cross-website spam, and direct too much attention towards Facebook et al. rather than any meaningful gain here - if anybody is actually interested in sharing, they can do so without the button.
I'm also basically ignorant with regard to Face Book. Every time when I get to its entrance hall, and it asks me to register, I'm out the door. I have to agree with you however, I'm sure this will encourage cross-website spam. You're also correct, who wants to promote Face Book, I'd rather do the opposite .... Twisted Evil
catscratches
I do have a Facebook but still find all of those Facebook and Digg-buttons that appear practically everywhere really annoying. If I want to share something, I can do it myself. I don't need a button telling me to do so.
sonam
I don't like Facebook buttons. Like deanhills wrote everyone can post link in Facebook or send link to friends.

Sonam
Vrythramax
I also hate all those "social networking" buttons. Why should I help support a multi-million dollar company by sending my friends to their site so they can be assaulted with all of their advertising?

I have been content for quite a few years now by just copying the URL and sending that (along with a description) to my friends and family.
Asap170
Against:
1. I think that Facebook is becoming more then what it should be. It's basically like a "virus" (in the human body not computer). It's something that you really can't get rid of because it changes.

For:
1. The reason I think we should have a button like that is to help make Frihost more known to the world. Maybe something good will come out with it.
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
For:
1. The reason I think we should have a button like that is to help make Frihost more known to the world. Maybe something good will come out with it.
Right! Like New Members for example. However, surely there are more subtle ways to go about it, that may be less invasive from a viral point of view?
metalfreek
I would also love to see facebook, digg and reddit buttons on each thread. But please don't integreate too much button because it makes pages ugly.
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
I would also love to see facebook, digg and reddit buttons on each thread. But please don't integreate too much button because it makes pages ugly.
I feel just the opposite about those buttons. I'd rather not have any of those around. It's already enough to have it pushed down my throat in almost every search I do on the Internet. Max said it very well:
Quote:
I also hate all those "social networking" buttons. Why should I help support a multi-million dollar company by sending my friends to their site so they can be assaulted with all of their advertising?

I have been content for quite a few years now by just copying the URL and sending that (along with a description) to my friends and family.
zbale
Well, there seems to be a general agreement against the suggestion Smile