FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More Wikileaks risking US Russia relations?

deanhills
Looks as though Julian Assange is at it again. He is about to release Wikileaks documentation that has been gathered from Embassy e-mail correspondences and may highlight corruption among Russians during their interaction with the US and Afghanistan.
Quote:
The anticipated blizzard of dispatches from the US Embassy in Moscow to Washington is likely to publicly reveal the raw workings of US diplomacy on the ground and its range of contacts within Russian society. It may also detail the process by which the State Department forms its judgments about the Kremlin and its policies.

Some sensitive topics may include corruption among Russia's top politicians, details of political infighting, deeply critical views expressed to US diplomats by Russians in the opposition, as well as unflattering portraits of Kremlin leaders and their habits.

Source: Yahoo!News
ocalhoun
I wouldn't say Wikileaks is risking US-Russia relations...
I'd say the US was risking US-Russia relations, and Wikileaks may be the agent by which those risks become a reality.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I'd say the US was risking US-Russia relations, and Wikileaks may be the agent by which those risks become a reality.
Still, would there be a similar risk without Wikileaks releasing its information?
truespeed
Quote:
WikiLeaks
@wikileaks WikiLeaks

We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack.

Source twitter

Seems like someone is going out of their way trying to stop these particular leaks being leaked.
SonLight
Their site ( http://wikileaks.org/ ) was apparently just rebuilt. A few minutes ago it said "It works" -- identifying itself as a newly-made site with no content. Just now it had the Iraq war logs from October, and apparently no other content.

My guess would be they will try showing some of the new material again later today, unless someone succeeds in sabatoging them again. To see their "regular" leaked material which is not so dramatic, be patient and see if they add it again in a few days.

Apparently the newspapers got advance notice, so the stories being posted are now far ahead of the availablity of source material.

I have to agree with the US government in this case, that their quick publication of the material is irresponsible and dangerous. I'm not saying that they shouldn't examine and publish selectively, though.

Edit*

The cables are available at: http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/
c'tair
ocalhoun wrote:

Completely agreed. I watched the news this morning and I almost laughed out loud when some congressman said that Wikileaks is risking damaging the US already not too good relations with the whole world.

What he decided to ignore was that Wikileaks is only releasing stuff that the US has already written/said, and just didn't disclose - Wikileaks just shows stuff that was held behind the curtain of public relations and now we, and the whole world, can see how the US foreign policy really looks.

And that's why I love Wikileaks, they provide REAL information, not some tabloid-like sensationalist crap.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
I have to agree with the US government in this case, that their quick publication of the material is irresponsible and dangerous. I'm not saying that they shouldn't examine and publish selectively, though.
On the positive side however this is also an opportunity for the US Government to test the holes in its confidential communications. I'm sure they are already investigating the origin of the leaks as we speak. Next thing agents and diplomatic officers will be trained in how not to communicate with focus on organizations like Wikileaks getting access to confidential information.
SonLight
Now a hacker has claimed responsibility for the Wikileaks site problems, presumably acting independently.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/11/29/wikileaks.hacker/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) -- A computer hacker who calls himself "The Jester" claimed responsibility for the cyber attack which took down the WikiLeaks site Sunday, shortly before it started posting hundreds of thousands of classified U.S. diplomatic cables.

The Jester, who describes himself as a "hacktivist for good," said he took the controversial site down "for attempting to endanger the lives of our troops, 'other assets' & foreign relations."

The unidentified hacker claims to be an ex-soldier, and has apparently attacked several terrorist-related sites in the past. Wikiloacks is apparently functioning normally today.

Quote:
The hacker did not immediately respond to CNN requests for comment. WikiLeaks posted that it was under attack at about 11 a.m. ET Sunday, not long before its latest and largest leak.

The site seemed to be running normally as of early Monday morning.
[/quote]
menino
The wikileaks sight and its information is quite controversial.

On the one hand, it reveals secrets about the US Military, and some of its wrongdoings, which can do the country harm, and severe ties with other countries.
On the other hand, it exposes the reality of the country and its real standings towards other countries and its prime objectives, apart from its normal procedures and guidelines.

In my personal opinion, I think what wikileaks is doing is right, and if doesn't happen now, it will happen later on, by someone else.

I don't think that its just information that needs to be hidden... its information that needs to be followed correctly, in the form of procedures, and guidelines, and processes.

But maybe, some things should not be leaked.... it may be sensitive information, about their real thoughts about the leaders of the Kremlin. But what is not being revealed is the real opinions of the Washington leaders by Russian leaders..... maybe that also will be posted on wikileaks later.... Laughing
deanhills
menino wrote:
But maybe, some things should not be leaked.... it may be sensitive information, about their real thoughts about the leaders of the Kremlin. But what is not being revealed is the real opinions of the Washington leaders by Russian leaders..... maybe that also will be posted on wikileaks later.... Laughing
It just reminds me how very vulnerable we are when we are writing e-mails and how easy it is to gain access of those. One has to be completely discreet in what one says. Especially if one is in a responsible Government position and dealing with very sensitive information that can affect relationships with other countries as well as reveal policies and position statements of the home country.
standready
I wonder what the US government is going to do with that army "kid" that passed along most of the information? Hmmm, treason?
deanhills
standready wrote:
I wonder what the US government is going to do with that army "kid" that passed along most of the information? Hmmm, treason?
I guess this becomes an opportunity for teaching others not to do the same? Which will mean that they will come down on this poor guy with a vengeance. In a way one can say Wikileaks is helping to identify the weak spots in the military security and providing the military an opportunity of fixing the weak spots?
coolclay
Quote:
Wikileaks is helping to identify the weak spots in the military security and providing the military an opportunity of fixing the weak spots

I agree completely Deanhills. While I don't agree with the exposure of confidential documents, and other documents that may risk lives, and political relations this entire "show" is just exposing how weak and vulnerable our world of technology is.

If these documents are being exposed to wikileaks for free, imagine how many documents are being turned over to foreign governments for cash money. There are obviously substantial holes in the way we treat government documents, and I am glad it's finally being exposed. I can't imagine for a second that this hasn't been going on for years, and the documents have been handed over to foreign governments, and we just haven't known about it. Now it's gone public and hopefully something will get done about it. It's sort of like all the hackers that work to find weaknesses in programs, and other technologies but are benign in their work.

BTW Wikileaks is down again.
standready
coolclay wrote:
Quote:
Wikileaks is helping to identify the weak spots in the military security and providing the military an opportunity of fixing the weak spots

I agree completely Deanhills. While I don't agree with the exposure of confidential documents, and other documents that may risk lives, and political relations this entire "show" is just exposing how weak and vulnerable our world of technology is.

If these documents are being exposed to wikileaks for free, imagine how many documents are being turned over to foreign governments for cash money. There are obviously substantial holes in the way we treat government documents, and I am glad it's finally being exposed. I can't imagine for a second that this hasn't been going on for years, and the documents have been handed over to foreign governments, and we just haven't known about it. Now it's gone public and hopefully something will get done about it. It's sort of like all the hackers that work to find weaknesses in programs, and other technologies but are benign in their work.

BTW Wikileaks is down again.

I agree with you and Deanhills. Technology is weak. Go back to paper and a shredder/burn!
Since you mentioned money, I wonder how much wikileaks is paying for this information? I doubt they get the information for free.