FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cloning a Hard Drive

weableandbob
I would like to know the best way to clone my C: drive to a 1TB USB hard drive. What I want to do is clone the C: drive over, format the original disk, and then clone it back again so that I have access to all the space (I currently have 180 gigabytes out of 300 possible partitioned for my C: drive, and you can't extend the Windows boot partition).
Fire Boar
weableandbob wrote:
you can't extend the Windows boot partition

You should be able to. Don't use the Windows partitioner though - use an external tool like GPartEd or a Linux live CD. Cloning won't help you here - you can either clone the entire partition, in which case the space available will be exactly the same, or you can copy the data, in which case Windows won't be able to find the boot loader and will fail to start.
weableandbob
I've tried using GPartEd, but for some reason, it can't detect either of my hard drives. Also, it has to be run in Safe Mode (or whatever it's called), otherwise my computer just restarts.
Fire Boar
That's unusual, but not unheard of. There's a BIOS setting that in newer computers is set to "Enhanced" by default (I can't remember exactly what the setting is). Switch it to "Compatability", it doesn't seem to affect anything, and you should be fine.
weableandbob
Quote:
There's a BIOS setting that in newer computers is set to "Enhanced" by default (I can't remember exactly what the setting is). Switch it to "Compatability", it doesn't seem to affect anything, and you should be fine.

I have also tried that, and it didn't have any effect(I believe you posted this on my earlier thread about extending the windows boot partition).
bukaida
You can try norton Ghost. It is an easy way to clone the drive.
LameRock
You could use Norton Ghost, HDClone or CloneZilla. I recommend HDClone for Windows OS and Clonezilla for Linux or dual boot OS.
FunDa
weableandbob wrote:
I would like to know the best way to clone my C: drive to a 1TB USB hard drive. What I want to do is clone the C: drive over, format the original disk, and then clone it back again so that I have access to all the space (I currently have 180 gigabytes out of 300 possible partitioned for my C: drive, and you can't extend the Windows boot partition).

Use Norton Ghost.

But before you format it into a single partition, make sure you actually want it to be a single large partition.

In my experience, it is always better to have just a reasonably big C: for the Operating System and installed programs.

Al the other stuff like data, documents, music, movies, books, etc are better stored on a separate partition. So, whenever it is time to reinstall an OS (if it is windows, that is very often), you can just format(to make the drive free of errors) and reinstall(or copy back the cloned drive) on the regular sized C:. Since it is small, formatting is also much faster.

All the data on the other drives remains ready for use.
weableandbob
I'm sure I want a big C: drive because almost all of my space goes towards programs, mostly games.
k_s_baskar
I usually use Norton ghost to clone my hdd, but don't know it is supporting 1 tb hdd.
Smile
rickylau
If you are going to resize your C drive solely, it is not necessary to have your drive cloned. Partitioning softwares is able to resize partitions [including system partition], and I'm sure it goes much faster than cloning whole drive and getting it formatted.

If yours can't, I recommand EASEUS Partition Master. The free edition should be useful enough.
FunDa
weableandbob wrote:
I'm sure I want a big C: drive because almost all of my space goes towards programs, mostly games.

ok ... That might be a hint that you are playing too many games Laughing

Anyways, like someone said, a hard disk clone is not really necessary if everything goes smoothly.

But take a backup if you need to be sure.
weableandbob
I ended up using a version of Apricorn's upgrade software that my sister has lying around. Worked perfectly and quickly, so I think I'm set.
sobolok
Quote:

I have a plenty of games too but if i stop to think. I don't need all of them! At least 50% i can forget, because are old. Perhaps 1Tb of programs ou games is too.
rockpan
it's too big, you can move you documents, movies, pics to another directions first.
and delete temporary files, disable page files and hibernate files.
if it possible, use IDE or sata, esata, instead of USB 2.0, because it's too slow.
passager33
XXCLONE is Windows software. The tool can create a self-bootable clone of a Windows drive as well as full backups of non-system volumes. Basically, it can make a hard drive image.

The interface is basic and clear
ProwerBot
I've used Norton ghost before, it works well but I'm sure there are better alternatives around the internet...
jajarvin
I used CloneZilla to clone my Won XP disk. It worked well.
crazyfffan
weableandbob wrote:

Number 1: You can extend the boot partition as well as any other partitions.
Number 2: Once you make a clone image of the partition, it longer matters about the size of the partition to which the clone image will be restore.
Number 3: Try Hiren's boot CD, it has some of the best cloning and partitioning tools for free to use.
Simply clone the C drive, then do what ever you like with the hard drive (e.g. resizing/deleting/... partitions) and restore the image back to the bootable partition.
Gadict
I recently had a problem with my hard-drive dropping everything. The entire partition dropped while copying the data over manually.

We managed to rebuild the partition, and I used Acronis True Image to clone it.
Worked like a charm.
The computer is still kind of awful, but at least it boots now, right?
dabyd64
That happenned to me few times while using Partition Magic years ago.
That damn software game me really big headaches!
Norton Ghost is good, but since they did Acronis TrueImage, it's just "OK".
TrueImage is amazing fast and has a lot of features - google it for a live CD or USB
tamilparks
bukaida wrote:
You can try norton Ghost. It is an easy way to clone the drive.
you can try
lastiso
Clonezilla is the best in my opinion because it's easily downloaded and then burned to a cd/flash. Has very quick data movement methods as well. And it runs on most systems.
zarawatsonn
I would like to prefer you the Norton's Ghost application, bu using this you can easily create the duplicate image of the whole drive in a single click. It is easy to operate.