FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bird photos

Ankhanu
I hadn't commented in the A Winter Visitor to my Garden thread, but I've admired the wonderful photograph of the robin since it was posted, oh so long ago Razz I wouldn't mind seeing more bird photos from Frih users!

I find bird photography difficult, partially because they're a quick subject, partially due to my low powered zoom (most I have is an 18-135mm), which limits my ability to actually clearly shoot birds more than, oh, 10m away. All the same, I enjoy the pursuit and have snapped a couple that are ok.

I'll post some of mine, and you, well, post some of yours Wink

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Golden-crowned Kinglet

American Crow
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:

I find bird photography difficult, partially because they're a quick subject, partially due to my low powered zoom (most I have is an 18-135mm), which limits my ability to actually clearly shoot birds more than, oh, 10m away. All the same, I enjoy the pursuit and have snapped a couple that are ok.

Those ARE some magnificent photos, given how hard birds usually are to photograph.
Much better than I've been able to do in similar situations, that's for sure.
PureReborn
Woah. those look pretty nice. I always admired ppl who do bird photography, so much patience and control.

Seeing these pictures really made me want to buy a DSLR.

Keep up the good work!
Girish
My fvaorite animal is Rabbit because they are so cute and innocent .
Ankhanu
Greater Yellowlegs

Immature Northern Gannet (corpse)

Girish wrote:
My fvaorite animal is Rabbit because they are so cute and innocent .

Well, that's fantastic... but really has NOTHING to do with photographs of birds, does it?
deanhills
All of the birds in your photos are rare sightings. Particularly the Yellow-rumped Warbler, and since they are such energetic creatures, amazing you got the photo. Great photos Ankhanu! The composition and action shot of the Greater Yellowlegs is also special. You must have been pleased with that one?
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
All of the birds in your photos are rare sightings. Particularly the Yellow-rumped Warbler, and since they are such energetic creatures, amazing you got the photo.

Nah, these are all pretty common species; at least around here.

deanhills wrote:
Great photos Ankhanu! The composition and action shot of the Greater Yellowlegs is also special. You must have been pleased with that one?

Thank you.
I was. Particularly since it was taken with a fairly slow-to-focus 4Mpx point-n-shoot. That camera was a nightmare for catching anything quick Razz

ocalhoun wrote:
Those ARE some magnificent photos, given how hard birds usually are to photograph.
Much better than I've been able to do in similar situations, that's for sure.

PureReborn wrote:
Woah. those look pretty nice. I always admired ppl who do bird photography, so much patience and control.

Seeing these pictures really made me want to buy a DSLR.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. It does take a lot of patience... believe me, I have a LOT of misses in my collection; pictures without birds, with half a bird, with really blurry birds (the golden crowned kinglet is pretty blurry, but I'm talkin' REALLY blurry Razz )

A DSLR really helps; but you can get really good quality shots with a point-n-shoot with a good quality lens. The real advantage to the DSLR (if you're not using full manual control) is the almost instantaneous shutter; there's almost no lag between hitting the shutter release and the photo being taken. In terms of image quality, however, a good point-n-shoot will be really similar in most people's hands.
PGe-tips
Occasionally I shoot somepicture from birds in my garden to:
Last Spring we had wren in our garden building a nest (later there were 3 youngster flying out)
During the pairing period it was nice to see the male seduce the female:

any comment appreciated
Ankhanu
Ooh, nice action Smile Wrens are pretty uncommon around here, unfortunately. I've never seen one.
ocalhoun
Okay, I can't hold it in any longer; I've got to show off my best bird photo.
I found this one while hiking in the badlands - I came upon it after it had just made a kill of some kind, and it was defending its catch from me.

Sneaking up from behind, it hadn't seen me yet:

Now it saw me, and it was trying to look big and scary:
Ankhanu
Awesome find!!
I quite enjoy red-tails. I live in a region where bald eagles are plentiful, and people constantly go on about their beauty, majesty, how special they are and all that... personally, I find red-tailed hawks far more interesting. Razz
driftingfe3s
Great shots. I really like the first one. I like the composition in it and the warm colors feel calming.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I live in a region where bald eagles are plentiful, and people constantly go on about their beauty, majesty, how special they are and all that...
The bald eagles hang out in Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC as well, in those very tall trees on the seawall. I once saw a bald eagle taking on a blue heron ... can you believe it? Quite a spectacular sight to see, but the Blue Heron was still OK afterward. It was a juvenile bald eagle and I was wondering whether the juvenile was just trying the Blue Heron for size .... having a bit of fun .... while Mamma and Papma were looking on? They really are magnificent birds though and majestic as you said.
standready
Absolutely fantastic photos, all. I only have one decent shot of a Hawk sitting on lunch (a squirrel). Too much blood to post.
Ankhanu
standready wrote:
Absolutely fantastic photos, all. I only have one decent shot of a Hawk sitting on lunch (a squirrel). Too much blood to post.

Nah man, post it up!! Nature is what nature is.

Here's a young starling that was on my apartment step in the early summer

Not a very good shot, but a different perspective (top down) of a bald eagle soaring
imera
I love birds, don't have favourites because I think they are all amazing, and these photos are all amazing as well Very Happy

The most amazing bird experience I have had was when a eagle flew three metres above me, It was the most amazing thing I have experienced with animals.
wawcff
your camera is good
which brand????????
Thomasr
Really so nice photos its looks that high pixel digital camera use for that is it right
??
LittleBlackKitten
Here are my BEST bird photos:

!! ALL IMAGES ARE SUBJECT TO FULL COPYRIGHT. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ALL INFRACTIONS WILL BE PURSUED IN A COURT OF LAW. NO UNAUTHORIZED USE WHATSOEVER.
Ankhanu
Ooh, barred owls are always a nice sight Smile Great shots, LBK.
Ankhanu
wawcff wrote:
your camera is good
which brand????????

Thomasr wrote:
Really so nice photos its looks that high pixel digital camera use for that is it right
??

In my case, most of the shots were taken with a Nikon D80 (usually using the 18-135mm kit lens) @10.2Mpx. The shot of the Yellowlegs was taken with an Olympus C-765 Ultrazoom, at 4Mpx.

Really, the camera and megapixels are, to a certain extent, irrelevant. Getting a quality shot is more about patience, practice and luck. It's easy to get in to the trap of believing that the brand and model of camera and lenses are really important, but, well, they're not Razz A higher end camera will give you more flexibility, but, if you don't have patience, practice a lot and have some luck, you'll still make uninteresting photos with a higher price tag Razz

For the most part, the main limiting factor in photo quality is the photographer. In almost all cases, a camera is capable of more than the photographer Smile

Brand, model, megapixels... they don't matter.
deanhills
Nice shots LBK. I particularly liked the owl photo as well. The one of the Mallard in black and white is particularly good. I like black and white studies and the texture of the water is amazing. Smile
x3m3r3
A nice Laughing
Alerrandre
amazing pictures,i loved all !!!.
ham65
I loved,the first one was the most nice to me.

Bye.
ZoeLove
Oh those pictures are great. It's really hard to photograph birds but you did an amazing job Smile
venkat
Hi,
Glad to see bird photography. ocalhaun reminds me of an eagle that sat on my head (on my head) on top of a 3 or 4storey building. Didnt shit on me though! Only wish morning was a better spent with friends. Feel soz. Anyway nice work Applause Applause
robatcook1987
I love birds. I have watched all pictures of birds. All the pictures are nice and very interesting. great work done guys. I want more pictures. I hope you will post more pictures.
tazone
birds symbolize freedom

the freedom to fly through the air
ham65
I loved those pictures man. Very Happy
vb404
tan,kss
Fishing10
There are attractive.I love Birds.Birds of differen forom colors and pretty Smile <3
Fishing10
Smile
deanhills
I thought this collection of photos of the World's Rarest Birds were pretty awesome! The second photo in the slideshow, in particular, is amazing.
ham65
bird,they have style.

kkk.