FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microwave Oven unhealthy ?

bukaida
I have seen somewhere that the food in microwaves( specially those contains protein) are get genetically modified due to that radiation. Also these genetically modified foods cause serious damage to the brain. Anyone has any further concrete information regarding this ?

http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/022015.html
deanhills
You're probably not going to believe me, but I have never owned a microwave before. I prefer a gas stove, which by the way they say is the best way for cooking. Electricity is not as good as gas as you cannot control the heat as well as you can with gas, and in my opinion, having used both electricity and gas stoves, gas to me produces greater tasting food.
Nemesis234
there is no concrete evidence because its a lie. microwaves are completely safe to use and do not "genetically modify" the food in anyway. they agitate it, and may turn it into slop if cooked too high/too long but they do not make food dangerous.

dont listen to old wives tales and internet rumours, they are completely safe.
Nemesis234
deanhills wrote:
You're probably not going to believe me, but I have never owned a microwave before. I prefer a gas stove, which by the way they say is the best way for cooking. Electricity is not as good as gas as you cannot control the heat as well as you can with gas, and in my opinion, having used both electricity and gas stoves, gas to me produces greater tasting food.

i agree gas hobs are miles better then electric. but induction is better still.

and electric fan ovens are miles better then gas ovens
Bondings
No, microwaving food is not unhealthy. The radiation only heats the food. Although most people prefer heating from gas or electricity as the others mentioned.

However a lot of the food that is typically sold to be heated in microwave ovens is not healthy compared to cooking with raw ingredients. But that is not the fault of the microwave oven. Wink
c'tair
Ah, because people are uneducated on what exactly is radiation and those are usually the same people who equate microwave radiation with gamma radiation. It's funny how they will never open a book on the subject itself, but instead they will spread this rumor around and around until it becomes serious.

Same as with vaccines causing autism, now we got some media celebrities spewing complete bull crap about how they believe that vaccines cause autism and they get people to believe those lies.
Bluedoll
bukaida wrote:
I have seen somewhere that the food in microwaves( specially those contains protein) are get genetically modified due to that radiation. Also these genetically modified foods cause serious damage to the brain. Anyone has any further concrete information regarding this ?
Not really sure if food is modified but sometimes an eating experience can be modified. Because the device does heat from the inside something which can appear to be cool is actually cool on the outside and only appears safe to eat. It is not cool on the inside.
Once the victim sticks the hot burning coal fired ingredient into the mouth and finds fire is shooting out their nose, ears and other openings in their body, the effect can be a loud shriek along with a horrified expression on the face that says, “its hot!”
Laughing
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
However a lot of the food that is typically sold to be heated in microwave ovens is not healthy compared to cooking with raw ingredients. But that is not the fault of the microwave oven. Wink
Very Happy I like this logic .... sounds like real common sense. I remember when I was with my aunt and uncle a few years ago trying to bake a potato in a microwave, and how much better it was in texture and taste when it was baked in a conventional oven. Although my mother would probably accuse me of not knowing how to cook food in a microwave, and she probably would be completely correct. There is a real art to cooking fresh food or any food for that matter in the microwave. At one stage I went through the frozen meal stage as it was just so convenient to pop those in the oven. I tried a meal like that at a friend's place using a microwave, and I thought the meal that was done in my gas oven did taste better. Could it be that food that is heated at a lower temperature for a longer time would have more taste than food that is heated at extreme temperatures for a much shorter time?
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Very Happy I like this logic .... sounds like real common sense. I remember when I was with my aunt and uncle a few years ago trying to bake a potato in a microwave, and how much better it was in texture and taste when it was baked in a conventional oven. Although my mother would probably accuse me of not knowing how to cook food in a microwave, and she probably would be completely correct. There is a real art to cooking fresh food or any food for that matter in the microwave. At one stage I went through the frozen meal stage as it was just so convenient to pop those in the oven. I tried a meal like that at a friend's place using a microwave, and I thought the meal that was done in my gas oven did taste better. Could it be that food that is heated at a lower temperature for a longer time would have more taste than food that is heated at extreme temperatures for a much shorter time?

It's not really the time. I'm not a cook (obviously) but some things need a lot of time to cook and others as short as possible.

The microwave heats unevenly (it heats mostly the exterior and parts with a lot of water). You can test this by putting a glass of water next to something rather dry. The dry thing will probably still be rather cold when the water will boil. For things like watery soup or plain water this effect will probably be minimal.

Anyway, this uneven heating causes things to taste worse.
PGe-tips
I don't believe the way food is heated does not make a difference when it comes to health.
But it sure yields a different way foods tastes. Certainly for basic cooking opeartions it's not a good way, but for re-heating it comes in very handy.
Lats month ours got broken and the during the week we didn't one I missed it at least 2 time ...

I don' like them , but I use them
badai
no matter what way you use o cook, it always involved the same process: the heat make the food molecules vibrates faster. even microwave specifically targeted the water molecules, the heated water in turn will transfer its heat to all other molecules which make every other molecules vibrate faster and the heat will make the food go through several process which will change it looks, texture, color, smell, etc. only with fire, you can roast it, which you can't with microwave since it need water to function.

don't believe that urban legend where some nurse heat up blood in microwave before feed it to a patient. of course there are microwave ovens in every hospitals, but they put it in pantry to heat up food, and if that nurse deliberately took the blood to the pantry, then that would be a whole different story.

also, there are microwave almost in every home in japan, and those japanese happen to live longest. maybe microwave is good after all.
menino
badai wrote:
also, there are microwave almost in every home in japan, and those japanese happen to live longest. maybe microwave is good after all.

Maybe this means that Japanese Microwaves are better. Smile

There is still speculation about microwave ovens, and yes, Deanhills, gas cooked food tastes better than microwaved cooked foods, but microwaves are just used mainly for heating foods out of the refrigerators, for a minute. I don't know if that is really harmful to us, though
Bondings
By the way, normal cooking uses high temperatures to cook the food, usually way over 100 degrees Celcius. Once you go over 120 degrees some chemical substances form that are known to cause cancer. The same for the brown/black spots you get on your meat when you cook it with oil in a pan. (That's also why you shouldn't eat the burned parts, even if you like that taste.)

The microwave normally only heats the water in the food, which isn't able to get hotter than 100 degrees. Hence as long as the food isn't completely dried out, the food is heated at 100 degrees or less and hence does not form the cancerous substances that cooking in a pan with oil does.
c'tair
Bondings wrote:
By the way, normal cooking uses high temperatures to cook the food, usually way over 100 degrees Celcius. Once you go over 120 degrees some chemical substances form that are known to cause cancer. The same for the brown/black spots you get on your meat when you cook it with oil in a pan. (That's also why you shouldn't eat the burned parts, even if you like that taste.)

The microwave normally only heats the water in the food, which isn't able to get hotter than 100 degrees. Hence as long as the food isn't completely dried out, the food is heated at 100 degrees or less and hence does not form the cancerous substances that cooking in a pan with oil does.

Great post. That's why I've read that heating food for too long isn't recommended because it destroys all the good stuff like vitamins and minerals and may transform some substances into, like You said, carcinogens.

The right healthy diet is still subject to many debates and it ain't easy to chose the right one.

Me? Personally I eat simple food that I prepare myself. As little heat treatment as possible, just get it a bit warm cause it's winter now. Mostly meats, lots of dairy, quite some fruits but little amounts of vegetables.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Now this is amazing. Did not know this at all.

Was just thinking however, doesn't it spoil all of the fun of preparing a nice dish step by step in a large pot, adjusting the seasonings, tasting it ..... etc. etc. Smile ? Also most of the stuff that goes into a microwave has been frozen. And freezing can damage food too when there has been freezer burn.
Cliffer
unhealthy?i don't know...i think microwaving food is fast and convinient,but the taste is not good.