FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jobs for people who don't like people .....

deanhills
I thought this was a really good article in Yahoo!News about professions that are suitable for people who don't really like people:

1. Accountant
2. Computer Programmer
3. Writer
4. Forensic Science Technician
5. Budget Analyst
6. Medical Transcriptionist
7. Actuary
Bluedoll
Smile
Computer programmers - laughing my head off here. Is the article saying that Bill Gates did not like people?

Well, all these occupations are indeed solitary pursuits which makes me think of a human characteristics known as introvert and extrovert types. An introvert I would not describe as not liking people however, just a person who might work well independently in contrast to an extrovert who might not be able to.

Should I be reading the article?
Ankhanu
Field biologist works too Wink
Other than my partner, I see almost no one when working.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Field biologist works too Wink
Other than my partner, I see almost no one when working.
I've known a number of field biologists in an Environmental Firm in Vancouver, BC, and anti-social would be the absolute last thing I would have thought about them. To the contrary. There was something of the loner in their field studies, but they were completely devoted to their families, had really good friends and were good friends themselves. They also related very well to all other people.

@Bluedoll. I would have thought that Bill Gates would have been more of a manager and coordinator of people than an actual computer programmer. He is an astute business person and would know how to employ the most talented computer programmers for whatever projects he set his mind on. I would imagine that at his prime he would have been working with people all day.
Nameless
A writer who doesn't like people is going to have a fun time writing about empty chairs. And what does the medical transcriptionist think he's going to be transcribing anyway? The logical best jobs for people who really didn't like people would be grave diggers or soldiers.

Only about 70% joking here, guys.
Keran
I guess I must have missed my calling, since I like working with other people and yet I'm studying computer programming.
And I write as well... damn that makes me a major outcast, good thing I'm not into accounting, 'cause then I would be a goner ;p
saratdear
Nameless wrote:
A writer who doesn't like people is going to have a fun time writing about empty chairs. And what does the medical transcriptionist think he's going to be transcribing anyway? The logical best jobs for people who really didn't like people would be grave diggers or soldiers.

Only about 70% joking here, guys.

Agreeing with the non-joking part of Nameless here Smile - a write who does not like people is going to have a hard time creating them. (Unless you look at it from another angle - he hates people, so goes off to create his own)
standready
Nameless wrote:
The logical best jobs for people who really didn't like people would be grave diggers or soldiers.

hmmm, soldiers are a part of a team just like myself, a mechanical engineer. We have those higher the chain that we must report to and take direction from. I do work a lot alone though but interface with co-workers and vendors.
Afaceinthematrix
standready wrote:
Nameless wrote:
The logical best jobs for people who really didn't like people would be grave diggers or soldiers.

hmmm, soldiers are a part of a team just like myself, a mechanical engineer. We have those higher the chain that we must report to and take direction from. I do work a lot alone though but interface with co-workers and vendors.

In the case that you didn't get his joke, I think he was referring to soldiers as being a job for you if you hate people because part of your job involves sometimes killing people. So haha...

And almost any job in academia would be fine even if you hate people. You do a lot of solo research. Sure you have to teach classes and hold office hours (if you're at a university), but that isn't too bad. Office hours do not take up a huge portion of your time (and sometimes students will not show up) and you don't have to actually like people in order to teach a class; you just need to be able to effectively communicate what you know to people.

Or you can be a musician/songwriter. I don't like people too much and so sitting down and writing songs can be something done solo and you don't necessarily have to be in a band; you can play each part in the studio yourself. Many jobs don't really require you to like people. At some point, you'll have to deal with people but you don't necessarily have to like people...
Alerrandre
if you dont like people,you should work with computers,our any kind of different machines.
chatrack
What about typing jobs, they dont get time to know what they are actually typing
rogue_skydragon
Working as a computer programmer seems to be the first thing that pops to mind when thinking about "solitary jobs." But I feel as if almost all jobs in the world require human interaction on varying levels...i.e. contacting the employer, following-up with clients, etc.