FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Counter





erlendhg
Does anyone know about a good counter for websites that can count how many times a file has been downloaded each day or week and total downloads?

Sincerly

Erlend,
Norway
Daniel15
I wrote my own counter for my website, a really simple script but it works.

Have a look at hotscripts, a search for 'download counter' has 51 results: http://hotscripts.com/search/6475960.html
Summer
Try searching using Search Engine . You will find so many results
engeland
since this thread has something to do with counters, mind me asking something else?

have you ever gone into any of those sites which have a figure showing the amount of users online?
It's a counter right? where can you get that?

also, bravenet's counters are not bad. you should check them out
Bondings
engeland wrote:
have you ever gone into any of those sites which have a figure showing the amount of users online?
It's a counter right? where can you get that?

Counters may seem cool, but the number of visitors should only be important for you, not for your visitors. You don't want them to see it is your 20th page view, with 15 of them from you. They are also not really appreciated by internet users, they give a "nineties" look to a website. The same goes for many special javascript effects.

This said, why should you care about this? It's your website and you put on it whatever you like. There are a lot of good-looking counters on the internet to choose from, just search a bit on google/msn/yahoo.

Most of the time they show the number of times that specific page has been viewed. If you go to your page 10 times a day, then you it will count 10. A site owner can also artificially make it bigger, so you can't really trust those.

I really doubt there exist services on the web that count the number of users online. You normally need some software on your website to do that. PhpBB does it and a lot of other cms's also.
Daniel15
Quote:
I really doubt there exist services on the web that count the number of users online. You normally need some software on your website to do that. PhpBB does it and a lot of other cms's also.


Counters that count the number of users online just count how many different IP addresses are visiting your website. Every time a new person visits your website, the counter gets increased. If that same person doesn't request another page within about 10 minutes, the counter goes down by one. Pretty simple idea, but doesn't work that well due to many ISP's using proxies (so the script thinks that 2 people from the same ISP is actually 1 person)

However, something like that is easy to do if you have a members area on your site. Simply have a field in your database that gets set to 1 whenever someone logs in, and the just count the number of members that have that variable set to 1

Quote:
They are also not really appreciated by internet users, they give a "nineties" look to a website. The same goes for many special javascript effects.
How true that is. Counters with numbers like '0000000015' and javascript that makes stuff follow your mouse cursor or similar effects gives your site what I call the 'GeoCities Look'. The same for sites that use marquee effects.
engeland
Quote:
I really doubt there exist services on the web that count the number of users online. You normally need some software on your website to do that. PhpBB does it and a lot of other cms's also.


Ok try visiting www.emma-watson.net

The very first page which loads shows the number of users online. How do you that? Confused
Bondings
engeland wrote:
Ok try visiting www.emma-watson.net

The very first page which loads shows the number of users online. How do you that? Confused

I suppose they just took the forum stats. PhpBB has the same option, just look at the bottom of the index page and you'll see the number of people online. It's not perfect, though.
erlendhg
Bondings wrote:
Counters may seem cool, but the number of visitors should only be important for you, not for your visitors. You don't want them to see it is your 20th page view, with 15 of them from you. They are also not really appreciated by internet users, they give a "nineties" look to a website. The same goes for many special javascript effects.


Yes I know, and its therefore I'm asking for if anyone knows about a HIDDEN counter and download counter, who only the webmaster can check from a "counter user interface".

Does anyone know about this?
budazz
its good to have a counter when you have a many visitors coming ,well you can show the counter on your page but

if you only have 5 person everyday it's not an advice to show up the counter in your page...you will feel sorry..

if you want you can but only for you to see it Very Happy
Daniel15
If you want a hidden counter, then it already exists!

cPanel --> Stats Configuration

You need to enable a statistics script... I suggest AWStats as it's one of the most popular ones. Next, go to cPanel --> Web/FTP Stats --> your chosen program (eg. AWStats). This will show you lots of statistics, including the number of visitors.
engeland
daniel15 wrote:
If you want a hidden counter, then it already exists!

cPanel --> Stats Configuration

You need to enable a statistics script... I suggest AWStats as it's one of the most popular ones. Next, go to cPanel --> Web/FTP Stats --> your chosen program (eg. AWStats). This will show you lots of statistics, including the number of visitors.


nice this should be good. thanx alot.
by the way, what and where can you get AWstats?
budazz
engeland wrote:
daniel15 wrote:
If you want a hidden counter, then it already exists!

cPanel --> Stats Configuration

You need to enable a statistics script... I suggest AWStats as it's one of the most popular ones. Next, go to cPanel --> Web/FTP Stats --> your chosen program (eg. AWStats). This will show you lots of statistics, including the number of visitors.


nice this should be good. thanx alot.
by the way, what and where can you get AWstats?


as he said it is already in cpanel

but if you are already using direct admin

I Dont know... Cool
Daniel15
engeland wrote:

have you ever gone into any of those sites which have a figure showing the amount of users online?
It's a counter right? where can you get that?


I was just searching on Hotscripts for some scripts, and came across this: http://hotscripts.com/Detailed/47879.html

Quote:
usersonlinecounter will count the number of visitors currently on your website in real-time. It will report the number in a small tiny customizeable box which you can place on all your webpages. Stats in real time in member area you know country, browser , pages visited ...
(Source: http://hotscripts.com/Detailed/47879.html)
engeland
what are hotscripts?
what do they do?
orno
Hotscripts is just the name of the website where you get all sorts of useful scripts for your website. Just go there if you want more info
www.hotscripts.com
Related topics
Counter strike
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Counter Strike website!
My Counter-Strike: Source Clan
php counter
PHP Counter?
Counter Strike Condition Zero
PHP Counter
The "Best Game" Counter-Strike
Counter Graphic, anyone for 35 Frihs!
Counter Strike
100 Fps en Counter Strike
Hit counter
My website has gotten 100 hits without...
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.