FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

did you know ?

PGe-tips
it is only 35 years agoo since men have made a picture from a planet different then our earth ?
Guess who ?
Indeed the sovjets in 1975 made the first image of the surface of Venus, with their Venera-9 .
They made black and white pictures (Photo's and television images) with a capsule that landed.

Amazing and it shows how fast the technological (r)evolution is that we are living in.
It makes you wonder what our kids will consider as "revolutionary".
ocalhoun
... Technically, wouldn't the first photographs of other planets be some of the earliest photos ever taken at night?

A planet or two must have slipped into the stars in the background at some point...
It would even be recognizable, with a good knowledge of the stars, just look for one that doesn't belong. You could then tell which planet it was by reversing extrapolated orbital mechanics back to that point in time.

Now, for a close-up shot without the aid of a telescope, that may indeed be the first one. But first photo ever? No.
jwellsy
PGe-tips wrote:
it is only 35 years agoo since men have made a picture from a planet different then our earth ?
Guess who ?
Indeed the sovjets in 1975 made the first image of the surface of Venus, with their Venera-9 .
They made black and white pictures (Photo's and television images) with a capsule that landed.

Amazing and it shows how fast the technological (r)evolution is that we are living in.

What planet was that picture of Venus taken from?

The moon landing was in 1969 and they made lots of pictures of the Earth from the Moon.
SonLight
PGe-tips wrote:
Guess who ?

I believe you mean that they took the first close-up pictures of Venus, in this case while in orbit around it.

http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_Lavochkin2.htm

Pictures of the Earth from space, whether from low-orbiting craft or from the moon, would be comparable to the Venera-9 photos. The page I linked to probably talks about the first comparable pictures of Mars also, but I didn't stop to search for information about them.
PGe-tips
SonLight wrote:
Pictures of the Earth from space, whether from low-orbiting craft or from the moon, would be comparable to the Venera-9 photos. The page I linked to probably talks about the first comparable pictures of Mars also, but I didn't stop to search for information about them.

Indeed the pictures I talked about were the first of a planet different then our earth made in orbit.
AFAIK the moon is not a planet ... so I think the story is still true ! btw I grabed this info from a Dutch newspaper .. for those who understand dutch ... read more at: http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/992/Wetenschap/article/detail/1185584/2010/11/21/35-jaar-geleden-eerste-foto-s-van-oppervlak-Venus.dhtml
susanexpress
first time to know it
Ankhanu
PGe-tips wrote:

An interesting perspective on this:
mengshi200
Wow,it's very beautiful!