FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Newbies or Beginers: What word do you like

Possum
Hi

I am creating a new section to my site for people new to computers and the web. I'm not to sure what to call it.

BEGINNERS or NEWBIES

What do you prefer..

thx
Bikerman
Most newbies will probably prefer a non judgemental label such as 'Start Here', or 'New users' or 'The story so far..' or similar...
Possum
Hey.. Why did'nt I think of that

http://udopage.com/new-users.php

New Users.. I like that
deanhills
First Time User could also be a good idea.
Ankhanu
Possum wrote:
Hey.. Why did'nt I think of that

Newbie Wink

But yeah, in seriousness, Bikerman and dean's ideas are probably best there.
Insanity
I don't think either one sounds necessarily bad, it all depends on the context. If you're calling someone a newbie to their face, then yeah it seems a bit confrontation and cocky. But if you're just labeling a section on the forums, then I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I don't think anyone actually looks at that and thinks about it for a moment, "Hmm... do I really want to go into that forum? Am I really a newbie?"

Nah, probably not. They would just think oh this is for basic stuff, not necessarily only for people who are stupid or ignorant. So, do whatever you want to do, is basically what I'ms aying. Nobody really thinks about those things too much,
standready
Neither, sorry. I am with bikerman on this one even though some "beginners" may not even understand the term "newbie".
Asap170
I think I would prefer "Beginners" because Newbies refers to more of a gaming lingo and that. Beginner sounds like they actually know something about what is going on, unlike newbies.
Possum
It is a hard decision. I want to have a beginner section on my site. I feel NEW USER is more positive then BEGINNERS.
timothymartin
I think it all depends on your audience.
Possum
I want to have a section on my sit for first time users. Like mouse aerobics

http://www.ckls.org/~crippel/computerlab/tutorials/mouse/page1.html

From there all the way to complicated stuff..
menino
Or, in the link, you could have all of it, i.e. Beginner or new user or newbie.

That would educate the user right away.... Laughing
iman
Depends on what you want your site to be.
If you want it informal, newbies might be better.
PGe-tips
I vote for newbie .. because it says what it means .. you are new to the forum .. a beginner sounds pejorative
Vrythramax
I prefer "noob", as shown in my sig Twisted Evil
Possum
thx everyone

I have decided to stick to New User. To me it welcomes a new person to computing in general but still has a hint of the more power "user"

My site when ever it get finished (or anywhere near started) is for the beginners right up to the power Users with no gaps in between.

But many thanks for your comments and rest assured that my final decision was, as you see, 100% influenced by this post in the FriHost forum.

Smile thx
Bluedoll
Sounds like an excellent choice to me and for me I would be happy with new user.

New Person
New Client
New Poster
New Student
Magicman
I believe that new user is a good term but it really depends on the context of the site. I am not sure why but new user has a better connotation than beginner.
sudipbanerjee
New user or beginner will be good.
Nameless
Looks like I'm a little late to help the OP, but for reference anyway:

'Beginners' carries the risk that people will feel slotted into a category, or that getting to 'advanced' knowledge in computers is too far beyond their reach.
'Newbies' has always been a cheery, welcoming term to me; your target audience might not know what it means, but on the other hand might feel more included or excited by the new terminology.
'New users' is generic, but functional and ultimately your safest bet.
Possum
Nameless: Your comments were never too late and are appreciated. Also I agree with much of what you said..

Thx Smile
spring567
I like BEGINNERS.
You can call it newabc .
Possum
I am going to have a beginners section. But it will be under New Users. Deeper in my website. New Users will get a top level tab. Its doesn't matter too much as the finished interface will be adaptive depending on the users skill level. But thats a long way off.

thx
chartcentral
I'd prefer Newbies over Beginners. For me, it sounds cooler, and the term is shorter too! Smile
Vrythramax
chartcentral wrote:
I'd prefer Newbies over Beginners. For me, it sounds cooler, and the term is shorter too! Smile

mmmm "newbies" Twisted Evil
Helios
Vrythramax wrote:

I prefer booters or greenhorns Razz
deanhills
Helios wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

I prefer booters or greenhorns Razz
Just picked up on "noob" for the first time. That is a good one. Would the plural be "noobs" or "noobies"? Got a nice ring to it. Smile
achowles
I agree with New User. I don't know what your site is about but just because someone is new to the site doesn't mean they're new to the subject matter. So both Beginners and Newbies could potentially be demeaning.
Ghost900
New User works great as it doesn't even really make them feel like they don't know much but that they should read it since they are new to the site.
cadbrent
Beginners will be a good choice.
TFDiDesign
I actually say noobs, so I would say NEWBIES.